Restoring the old motor

Stu,

My thoughts too on the "shaft"... almost like it's on backwards as the other end really sticks out. If the armature were reversed, would the shaft extend in a more balanced way? (I realize the "pulley end" will be longer, but the balance doesn't seem to be there).

OK, had to read it twice to understand what your saying... well asking. The answer is no. The bell ends are identical. I could reverse armature but I would still have the same amount of shaft, it would just move the electrics from back to front and on opposite sides. Everything else would be the same.

Now that has me wondering if I have the wiring in the best place?

And Stu, your retro date is probably not that far off. :) Wouldn't be surprised if this motor is close to 90 years old.

Jeff

Jeff,

From the first pics of the motor, before restoration, it looks like the shaft did not extend out of the casing...the same as it is now.

The only difference is I just have not put the pulley back on the shaft. I want to have it bead blasted or something before installing it. The bell ends are the same so there is no way for the shaft length to change. It centers in the windings and the bearings in the bells ends locate it.

However, the wiring terminal strip appears to be on the other side....ends reversed from the original configuration?

Yes. I thought of that last night and I need to look at that. It will work fine either way but I think I have them in bad place once it is installed on the jointer. I believe the wiring is going to be close to the belt. If so I just pop off one bell and slide out the armature, reverse it and pt it back together.

Jeff

SHE RUNS! I fired up the motor a few minutes ago. Had to run a temporary line to it because the controls didn't work. Didn't want to trouble shoot them now so I just straight wired it. Once the RPC fired up I through the disconnect to on and it fired right up.

Draws 6 amps at idle. I put a load on the pulled and could make it shoot up to about 17-18 amps but I could never stall the motor. I could slow it down but that was it. Think this is going to be a good choice for this the Great Pumpkin.

Now I just need to get a tachometer so I can tell what speed it is running at.

Jeff

Jeff,

I've been following your motor saga with interest. Great job and it's fine looking motor. I thought my drill press motor was a basket case and I was pleasently surprised at it's reserrection. Yours started out at about the same place (although I did't see any wasp nests in yours) and is going to end up even better. I'm impressed! I can't wait to hear how it does on your jointer. Sounds like it will be a nice combination.

Hank

I didn't have the wasps to deal with. Probably because this one sat on the ground in the rain. With the open ends I doubt it provided much in the way of protection for them.