First SketchUp Design

Keith Krueger

This is a picture of my first attempt at desiging a project in SketchUp. It is a dresser for my grandaughter and the design is based on her sketch. (I would not have designed the curves as I think in straight lines). The walnut material is not completly to my liking but it helps to show the overall appearance.

Keith

Attachments

• JillsDresserDetails.jpg
    JillsDresserDetails.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 54
Very nice. You might try scaling down the walnut texture a bit. It would probably look a bit nicer that way.

And from a design point of view, any chance the back legs could have the same curve as the front one?

This is a picture of my first attempt at desiging a project in SketchUp. It is a dresser for my grandaughter and the design is based on her sketch. (I would not have designed the curves as I think in straight lines). The walnut material is not completly to my liking but it helps to show the overall appearance.

Keith

Keith, excellent job of showing SU's potential. Now, if you've installed the cutlist plug-in into SU, with a click of the mouse you can find out how many board feet of hardwoods it'll take and estimate the project's cost.

I just did a similar thing using SU (including the additional cutlist plugin) and CutList Plus. Within a few moments, I was able to determine a fairly precise cost estimate of nine feet of built-in cabinets for our living room. It also allowed me to change the materials used to see its impact on project cost. Cool stuff!

Yes the inside of the leg is also curved and the drawer fronts match this curve. I had trouble with the matching drawer front curves so these are only radius and don't match exactly when viewed up close.

There is no reason not to make the back legs curved on the outside also my first thought was that they are not so visible and it wouldn't make much diff.

Keith