"Underpowered" Table Saw Blades

Tod,

Hmmmm 3hp saw, 8/4 Oak, no splitter, thin kerf blade, decades ago...

I'm sure some things have changed....:rofl:

I also think that most with 3hp or more saws would normally be using "standard" kerf blades.

I use a WWII or new Freud for most everything. I do not change blades.

I have an old Craftsman with 2 HP motor.

Is you saw wired for 220V? This seems to help some.

Be careful about upgrading motors. The additional weight on the trunion system causes problems when tilting the saw. I cannot tilt mine very much at all. So I lost the ability to do 45 degree cuts.

Bartee,

My saw is currently wired for 110. I'm pretty sure it could be changed over to 220. (have to check the manual to be sure :huh: ) The main problem is that the shop is only wired for 110 20 amps (several circuits). At some point I'm sure I will be getting 220 in there.

Thanks for the information on upgrading motors and the tilt problem. :thumb: I didn't realize that could happen, but now that you mention it....It makes sense that it could.

I have an older 2hp delta tilting arbor saw that's wired for 220. I have been using duty specific standard kerf blades and haven't had any problems.

New Freud Combination Blade!

I pulled the trigger on the new blade for my TS today. Rockler was having a 30% off anything that will fit in a shopping bag sale. I went with the Freud LU83R thin kerf 50 tooth combination blade. With the sale, it was $35..... not to bad for a $50 blade.:D I'm planning on hitting the shop tonight to do some test cross cuts and rips.

Thanks for all of the information! :thumb:

Update

I have been using my Freud LU83R thin kerf combination blade for a while now. I have to say it was a good investment. :thumb:

I have done a decent amount (for a hobbist shop) of both cross cuts and rips with this blade. These cross cuts and rips have been in both hard and soft woods. No problem what so ever! The cuts have all been very smooth. The feed rate is noticably better, as is the sound.

I would definatly buy another Freud thin kerf blade.

Attachments

• LU83R.JPG
    LU83R.JPG
    9.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
That's great. I'm glad you found one that meets your needs. I have never said a cross word about any of my Freuds. My abilities to use them are another story :eek: