Bearing question

Jeff Bower

Thanks to all that offered help on my paint questions for my lathe refurb.

On to the next question...I'm replacing the bearings and have found that there are two kinds. Sealed/prelubed and those that can be regreased with a grease nipple. The original/current ones are pillow block bearings with grease nipples. Can I replace them with sealed/prelubed bearings and is there a big difference in the two kinds of bearings?

thanks in advance, Jeff

,,,The original/current ones are pillow block bearings with grease nipples. Can I replace them with sealed/prelubed bearings and is there a big difference in the two kinds of bearings?

Yes, No, Maybe?

A lot of maybe's there. I would call a bearing house, give them the number off the bearings and ask them for replacements. Then they may give you the option of a sealed bearing. Their catalogs should have the equivalents and any optional one listed.

Let me look up the supplier everyone over at OWWM is recommending. BRB
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OK took me a while to find it. Everyone that has dealt with these folks has spoken very highly of them. The girl on the phone is even keeping a list of people that have come there from OWWM. What I gather it is a long list too.

http://www.accuratebearing.com./

Last edited:
Can I ask you why you want to replace your greasable bearings with non-greasable ones? Normally people go the other way, that is they UPGRADE to greasable bearings. A shot of grease now and then drives the old moisture and contaminants out and will greatly outlast any sealed bearings.

I'm with Travis, "sealed" is a relative term when it comes to bearings and I'll take grease-ables anyday.

I agree with Travis too! I'd use the pillow block bearigs. I've often replaced the U-joints of the 4 WD vehicles I've owned with greaseable ones. You drive it into snow or water....a few shots of grease and you are ready for the next adventure. I'd have no problem replacing them with original replacements.

Yep me too, if it has a zerk on it, and you remember to shoot some grease in there a few times a year (depending on use) those bearings should outlast you :wave:

Cheers!