Wood waste

Drew Watson

I am not sure if this has been addressed before but how is everyone disposing of their wood chips and dust. I personally have a composter full and all the garden chips that I can handle and I can only burn so much. How does everyone get rid of their wood waste?

For me, it's a combination of either putting it into my curbside composting bin (a 90 gallon toter) or giving it away to a few coworkers who use it as a bedding material for vermicomposting systems at their houses. I'm real careful to only give my friends safe, domestic species like oak,ash, maple, etc.

HI Drew!

If the wood is decent and burnable, I save it up and give it to my deer hunting buddy, who has a second home on the seaside, he has a wood stove in there and wood is not cheap here in Japan. The plywood scraps and stuff just hit the curb and get taken away by the grumpy garbage guys :rolleyes:

My dust, especially from the cyclone go to the local Shinto shrine, the head priest there started a compost, well about 5 or 6 large compost bins, as he was paying a LOT of money to dispose of the leaves etc on the shrine's grounds. He likes to get my sawdust, as just the leaves tend to stick together and take a LOT longer to compost by themselves.

Cheers!

I am not sure if this has been addressed before but how is everyone disposing of their wood chips and dust. I personally have a composter full and all the garden chips that I can handle and I can only burn so much. How does everyone get rid of their wood waste?

I have a pile at the back of the yard. I throw fallen tree branches and my shop wood waste on the pile. The pile serves as a backstop for shooting.

I live in the country

I live on 4.5 acres and I just find a tree and put my sawdust around them; as poor mans' mulch. It keeps the weeds down right next to the trees and I kind of like the look of it. It reduces what needs trimmed or weed eated'.

As for the larger pieces, I have a wood furnace that eats all of the wood scraps I can throw at it.

Kevin

My community accepts sawdust in the "green" barrel and small cutoffs (a few inches square) in the recycle.
Pretty much the same here, except they accept bigger pieces of wood in the green (yard waste) bin. I've tossed out some pretty big chunks of punky firewood, as well as a lot of trimmings from making turning blanks out of logs. Lumber cutoffs also go in the green bin.

This comes up every once and a while, My daughter has acreage so I carry it out there to scatter about the woods (return to nature, so to speak) But often her neighbor grabs me and gets it to scatter in the muck in the barn yard. Chunks go in the fire or to a friend for h8is fire or to S-I-L for his fire.