Whoops, but saved some KWs

I just Googled Earthed your address. That downed power line spot doesn't look so bad. :rofl: You sure are surrounded by lots of neat woods forest. It looks like you are only minutes from the ocean also. That would be nice for fishing, lobstering, etc. Except for yer cold weather, must be a very nice place to live.

Hey Travis, excuse me but It seems that you are the one that is concerned initially about the 1100 bucks that this could have cost you. If you had such a cowboy attitude, then why did you make the effort to hide what you had done by taking the tree down? The "what if " disease that you talk about was nothing more than concern for you and just pointing something out in a concern attitude I am sorry if you took it another way. Clearly I was not the only one feeling this way about it either.

Travis I did live in a similar area that you do up in Northern BC I also lived in the Yukon and North West Territories and northern Alberta but we had no where near as many people as you have living near you. We have a lot more simplistic ways of dealing with problems up there and it doesn't involve courts. Of course I wouldn't be broadcasting it here as colorful and entertaining as it may be for others. Yes I do know where the courts are and with that experience I was just passing on a word to the wise. Clearly you don't see it that way, so forgive me for passing on the advise and please do keep the stories coming. Yes I speak my mind and I back down from no man. I still live in an area like that with the same attitude and Yes my neck is fortunately just a little red.

Hey Travis, excuse me but It seems that you are the one that is concerned initially about the 1100 bucks that this could have cost you. If you had such a cowboy attitude, then why did you make the effort to hide what you had done by taking the tree down? The "what if " disease that you talk about was nothing more than concern for you and just pointing something out in a concern attitude I am sorry if you took it another way. Clearly I was not the only one feeling this way about it either.

Travis I did live in a similar area that you do up in Northern BC I also lived in the Yukon and North West Territories and northern Alberta but we had no where near as many people as you have living near you. We have a lot more simplistic ways of dealing with problems up there and it doesn't involve courts. Of course I wouldn't be broadcasting it here as colorful and entertaining as it may be for others. Yes I do know where the courts are and with that experience I was just passing on a word to the wise. Clearly you don't see it that way, so forgive me for passing on the advise and please do keep the stories coming. Yes I speak my mind and I back down from no man. I still live in an area like that with the same attitude and Yes my neck is fortunately just a little red.

Noproblems at All Drew. I always liked people (like myself) who say how they feel and come right out and say it...leaves a lot less to interpretation.

I just look at forums different I guess. I look at this place like the corner of a a good old fashioned hardware store, where we sit down with coffee in hand, pull up the empty spike keg boxes and chat about woodworking. Of course on the off topic stuff, other stuff comes upso it's like someone says "hey you won't believe what I just did..." and everyones ears perk up and the story is told.

That is what this place is in a virtual setting. Obviously we sit down at computers and are in different countries and time zones, but that is in essence what we do. So even if we all were in a real hardware store,and the Supervisor of CMP did happen to overhear the conversation, he isn't going to do anything about it. In fact with the good old boy club proudly in effect here, he would probably chime in with a good tree cutting/ powerline story of his own. Anyway that's why I am not afraid to say anything online. It's just plain good clean, interesting conversations.

If you had done what I did, you probably wouldn't have said anything online. It doesn't bother me, but that is you,and this is me. Neither one is wrong I don't think, just different.

As for never backing down, I used to be like that too, but as I get older, I find picking your fights and using a lot more diplomacy gets you ahead in life. Except when it comes to farm, family and friends, then all laws are null and void.

Noproblems at All Drew. I always liked people (like myself) who say how they feel and come right out and say it...leaves a lot less to interpretation.

I just look at forums different I guess. I look at this place like the corner of a a good old fashioned hardware store, where we sit down with coffee in hand, pull up the empty spike keg boxes and chat about woodworking. Of course on the off topic stuff, other stuff comes upso it's like someone says "hey you won't believe what I just did..." and everyones ears perk up and the story is told.

That is what this place is in a virtual setting. Obviously we sit down at computers and are in different countries and time zones, but that is in essence what we do. So even if we all were in a real hardware store,and the Supervisor of CMP did happen to overhear the conversation, he isn't going to do anything about it. In fact with the good old boy club proudly in effect here, he would probably chime in with a good tree cutting/ powerline story of his own. Anyway that's why I am not afraid to say anything online. It's just plain good clean, interesting conversations.

If you had done what I did, you probably wouldn't have said anything online. It doesn't bother me, but that is you,and this is me. Neither one is wrong I don't think, just different.

As for never backing down, I used to be like that too, but as I get older, I find picking your fights and using a lot more diplomacy gets you ahead in life. Except when it comes to farm, family and friends, then all laws are null and void.

No worries Travis, I totally agree with you and I do understand, Life use to be alot simpler. That is the one thing I miss and hate about small town living, everyone knows what is happening about everyone and everything that goes on in the town. God I miss those days :thumb::thumb:

Travis...
I agree with the post about accepting responsibility for one's actions. With all the lawyers looking for a big win and frivolous lawsuits these days there's just too much "it wasn't my fault, it was somebody else" going around. McDonald's coffee is too hot get awarded a million bucks for spilling it on yourself...gimme a break. My new bandsaw has a warning label on it "don't put hand near moving blade"...sheesh, how pathetic is that...because some halfwit cut his hand and a lawyer won a case that it wasn't his fault. There's not enough "yes I did that dumb thing and it's my fault" going around.

On the other hand, I know there's another side to many situations...like supervisors who have to yell and give their imagined self-importance a lift. Like people in authority who make you wait because they can. Like some rules that are there for no discernible good-sense reason, and unimaginative rule enforcers who don't know how to "do what makes sense" in the face of it.

I don't really know you, but from what I can tell from your posts and from browsing around your website I have a hunch if it was something that actually mattered you wouldn't hesitate to stand up and say yep, I done it.

Rock on dude.

This really wasn't a big deal. I live in such an isolated place that even though five miles of powerline went dead, it might of inconvenienced 50 people or so. Even then it happens a lot here. My Uncle on the other hand...his tree on the powerline inconvenienced far more than that!

This happened several years ago down on some land we own in Belfast. Belfast is the county seat and pretty big in size with a hospital, sheriff's office, police station and all that. Anyway my Uncle and I were cutting this huge Pine just a few hundred feet from this major sub-station that just happened to be beside Route One, one of the major highways in Maine.

Well as he went to make the back cut, the wind picked up and leaned the tree the opposite way. So he decided to grab the bulldozer and push the tree over. Well the bulldozer breaks the hinge and the tree goes crashing out into the road. It also takes out the powerlines and since this is like 2 poles from the sub-station, the ENTIRE city of Belfast goes black. Yep the Sheriff goes on emergency power,the hospital does as well,and within about 6 minutes every cop, firefighter, public utility worker and power company worker was right there...and screaming and yelling.

One guy started yelling at my Uncle about how much this was going to cost him. Well my Uncle just smiled and pointed to the sub-station. A year before they had added onto the substation, but failed to notify us about the addition. It was pretty clear they had gone over the property line in order to get their addition put on. So my Uncle says...

"It doesn't matter how much this is going to cost me, buying our property for that sub-station will cost you a lot more."

The Supervisor looks at the sub-station, then at my Uncle and says "I think we all make mistakes from time to time don't we Mr Johnson," and that was the last we ever heard about that little mishap. :D