What Would You Do?

Dave,

Great news about the "talks" and the extra wood find. :thumb:Be sure to post pics of your progress along the way, especially some of "Dad" working on the project.

Moms and daughters have a way about talking to dad!

I'd definately make this his project. You can do more of the challenging cuts that might cause concern about his safety but all the rest are his. That way it truly is his work that went into it. Either way your wife will certainly cherish it.

Thought I'd give you all an update since you were all so helpful. I spoke with Kari and showed her what I had to work with. She understood the problem and decided to talk with her mother. There was bit more walnut although it's pretty poor quality. We got that over along with a bunch of 8/4 oak I bought from a local farmer about 8 years ago. We came to the conclusion that a frame and panel sort of construction would let us get a reasonably sized chest out of the little bit of walnut we have. I found a design in a back issue of Fine Woodworking. It's too long but I can shorten it enough without hurting the appearance.

Here is the chest.
d4923821.jpg

Well, it's a drawing of it anyway. Still sorting through the walnut trying to figure out how to get the most out of it. I'm inclined to buy a sheet of walnut plywood and just burn the walnut instead.:eek::rolleyes:

That's a drawing? :eek: When I first looked at it I thought "wow, Dave got that built pretty quickly...nice photo." You're scary good with that stuff, Dave. :thumb:

Thank you Vaughn. No, it couldn't be real. I work at such a glacial pace there's danger of the wood becoming petrified before I complete a project. :D

ditto, Vaughn. You definitely know your way around that software Dave.

I hope you can find a way to use the walnut. Even with an imperfection or two to my mind solid wood always looks better than plywood. But with an imperfection or 6 or 8...maybe not.

Hi Dave ,You are too good in this life to settle. Obstacles like this can be the footstool to contemporary greatness. Your facsimile is awesome, you are good! Make it real! It is now time to crawl out of the box and create the piece you were meant to build, digging deep into the cracks of the shakers and the Greene's and do a Dave Richards that I know you have inside. Make it with your FIL and do it for your "Bride"! There is no greater calling for you now than this. Seek divine intervention when necessary. Your solution will be worth the effort.Shaz