Up to no good today

Yeah I could be doing better things with my time I guess, but today I just felt like going for a good long hike. Okay,so I might have cheated and used my sled to get around a bit, but what I did was redo my website regarding some of the tree plantations I have, the unique features my land has (cemeteries, an old inn, sinking sand,etc) and some of my fields.

Lately I have made a lot of posts about farming, cows and my crop ground. I noticed my website had scattered pictures, but nothing organized. So I drove/hiked around my property today and got some pictures. I group all the fields together into a webpage, all the tree plantations into another, and finally a webpage dedicated to some of the unique features my land has. The only exception here is that I do have two picture place holders in place until I can actually get a picture of two swamps my land has.

Certainly nothing spectacular, but the pictures are now nice and big, the descriptions not to lengthy, and so if you would like to see what I got have for crop ground, what some unique things this land has, and what my tree plantations look like, you can take this link to get started. Let me tell you, cruising around on your computer will be far easier then trudging through the three feet of snow I had to trek through :)

Enjoy!!

http://www.railroadmachinist.com/Wood-Fields.html

Let me also say thanks - those are cool pics. As a person who's always lived on the west coast, the rich and detailed history of your community amazes me. Where I grew up (also rural), "old" is considered about the 1940's.

Great pictures, Travis. Being the scavenger I am, I would be all over the inn/stable and dump site looking for old bottles and artifacts. Love that kind of stuff! History reaches out and touches every one of us.

--MJ :)

Great pictures, Travis. Being the scavenger I am, I would be all over the inn/stable and dump site looking for old bottles and artifacts. Love that kind of stuff! History reaches out and touches every one of us.

--MJ :)

I kind of thought the old bottle collectors would like the dump area. I used to go out and dig around the old dumps and pick up old bottles. They came in every color, and had the strangest shapes, red being quite rare, and from what I understand, it took real gold to make red glass back in the day?:dunno: Found quite a few of those old two finger bottles that you see on TV...you know where the old Hill Billy sticks his finger in the holes, tosses it over his shoulder and takes a swig...those bottles. There are even some 1950 something car bodies back in the woods with trees growing up right around them. Who knows maybe they are worth something.

The old Inn is also kind of cool. Lots of junk stuffed inside there too. You got to watch out though, there are plenty of old Hand Dug Wells. The old timers put metal plates and boards over the tops of them to make them safe, but they are rusted out and rotted now, so if you don't know where they are, you could find yourself in a whole lot of trouble. There are at least four on my property, but I don't tell anyone where they are...you never know when you need to hide a body or two :) Just kidding there...we have the Atlantic Ocean which isa lot bigger :thumb:

Eventually I want to do the same kind of thing with the rest of my property; that is taking pictures and giving a nice tour online. Its a daunting and time consuming task though. What I showed was about 100 acres worth of open land. The next 300 acres is a little harder to see and harder to get to. I'm going to try to get pictures of it before the leaves come out, because taking pictures of woodlots in the summer means all you see are leaves. :) I take care of Alyson on Fridays, so as the days get better and the snow dwindles, I can take her with me via backpack or pull her around in her sled. She just loves it, which makes the task that much more sweeter.

Let me also say thanks - those are cool pics. As a person who's always lived on the west coast, the rich and detailed history of your community amazes me. Where I grew up (also rural), "old" is considered about the 1940's.

There is a lot of history here actually. This was the first place to have US Federal Troops be shot at. Seems back in the 1780's people around here did not like taxes either, when George Washington sent some tax collectors here the boys got together and had a little shootout with the troops. I think they must have lost because we are still paying taxes :)

Some other history is the town of East Thorndike itself. This was once a flourishing community with its own post office and everything. Then the railroad went through the western side of Thorndike, and the town kind of shifted operations towards the railroad and the town sprung up around that.

During World War Two my Great Grandfather used German POW's to harvest potatoes on the fields around here. The neighbors were enraged. My Great Grandfather was NOT a nice man, but the rules at the time dictated that POWS be treated very good. Considering this was a total war, the neighbors were enraged that he would use POWs to help make a profit. It's not big deal now, but at the time it was big "tadoings" as we say up here.

As for living out west, just keep in mind that our greatest population was in the 1850's, unable to make a living farming in this rock country, many Mainer's headed your way. Old houses, wells, old county roads litter the forest here of days gone by. Even now our little town is getting older with no youngsters staying. Its dying, but has been from the 1850's so its not new, just a lot smaller in population.