Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got me some neander tools!

Alan DuBoff is offline Former Member (by the member's request)

Got me some neander tools!

I won a leg vise on ebay recentely for $25.49. It's actually in better condition than one I paid much more for (but that will is larger and heavier and will fix up nicely as well). Anyway, the seller was the same guy I bought my forge blower from. He tried to sell me some other hammers and tongs before, but I passed as he wanted $150 for them.

He brought them along when I picked up the vise, and I got all of them for $50, so $75 total including the leg vise. The 5th hammer over from the left is a rounding hammer that farriers use, it is a pretty nice hammer in itself. It's the only one I started to clean, but it's a quality hammer. I didn't have any tongs, or rasps, and all those punches can be forged into new tools. There's an odd hoof tool of some such with a guage that looks like a sun dial on the back (sorry it was facing the wrong way when I snap'd the pic). All in all, this brings me closer to being able to safely forge at home.

[NOTE: I've moved this to it's own thread to clean things up]

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mt
    Boy - you got your money's worth and then some! Cool bowsaw back in the back!

Jesse,

I think I got a decent deal, but it's all relative. A couple pieces make it worth while, and what isn't of use can be forged into something else!;-)

I'm looking foward to forging some hinges, knobs, clasps, and other stuff for my woodworking projects.

Fifty bucks? Good deal, I think.

The hammers are worth that!

I'm finding it harder and harder to get good hammers, sure, if I want to pay $200 I can get a good hammer, but.......Well, I don't want to pay $200 for a hammer, I've found some older hammers on auction that just needed cleaning up and or a new handle, and I get them for $5 or so.

How are the bits? Are they straight? I'm always impresses how well a good bit like those can drill a nice hole in heavy wood with just a brace.

Good deal, and the older steel in the tools that you are not going to use, will be good stock for your forging fun

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Stu,

I did clean up a few of the hammers, the rounding hammer seems about the nicest, as I suspected. But I think most of the hammers are good users.

EDIT: Oh, and the augers are pretty straight from what I could tell, but need to be cleaned up as they're pretty dirty and rusted. The tongs will be useful for me also, I didn't have any.

Your 'leg' vice looks almost identical to one I use daily. But I have called them 'post' vices. Whatever. Great haul. Enjoy.

Nice haul Alan. Please post pics when you start forging your own tools. I am fascinated with blacksmithing and would love to try is some day.

Nice collection of tools, and on the cheap to boot.

I am like you Alan, I have been starting to look into make my own handtools as well, but I think you are light years away from me on actually getting this done.

One of the things that really jump started me was that one of the guys I work with, use to be a Blacksmith and still belongs to the ABANA Club. He is very knowledgable, and eager to share what he knows, so that is always good.

Myself, I would like to get into casting more than forging, only because I am a machinist and I learned how to make nice hand tools from raw castings at Lie Nielsen. I got some ideas brewing on how I am going to make some tools and build a small foundry, but as I said, I am a long way off from anything yet. Good luck to you, and from the score you got with your tools, I would say you have lady luck on your side.

Frank, people do refer to leg vises as post vises also, but I tend to think of anything "post" as being attached to the wall, where the leg vise is typically anchored to the floor where the pin on the leg typically fits in. I'm no expert, and have seen others refer to them as post vises as well. I'm thinking in the sense of a post drill for instance, which is mounted on the wall solely. Either way, it's nice to have a vise to hold hot metal!

Travis, I have several folks I work with that are into metal working, one engineer has his own Southbend and Bridgeport lathes in his home shop. Another friend is into milling and is creating a home built cnc type machine using a foredom head attached to a computer. That's an interesting project...

A couple of others have got me to catch the smithy bug, and making tools is an excellent use of it.

It's hard to get setup to do it, you need quite a few tools to do it safely.

I'd like to have a set of chisels that I made myself.

I'm making a patch knife, which Frank will probably be familiar with, as it was used by musket loaders. But it's a small knife that was used to cut cloth patches which formed the gasket between the lead shot and the gunpowder. It was secured on the musket strap in most cases and used to carve up the lead shot as it was poured also.

There was some folks at the local SOOT meeting (Students of Old Technology) talking about making a match lock mechanism to be used on a musket loader.

I was surprised to learn that the old musket loaders were forged and rolled in swages, and then forge welded together.

Lots of stuff can be made for woodworking, like various edge tools, draw knifes, chisels, plane blades, scorps, adze, axe, etc...

Alan,
    Glad you are happy with what you bought. Perhaps I can help you with what they are. The hammers you picture from picture left to right are a ball pein made into something else(?), a small sledge, ball pein, rounding, nailing (shoes), either a damaged straight pein or a set hammer of some type (the photo and the close up photo are hard to determine at the pointy end. ) If a straight pein it appears a bit blunt. , don't know with a fiberglass handle, and ball pein. The hammer head above on left is a cross pein (most useful in blacksmithing). I would use the fiberglass handled hammer for something else as it will melt when close to hot metal. The rounding hammer should be flat on one side and slightly round on the face on the other. Typically, the round side is a bit heavier so gravity will allow you to turn it just by loosening your grip. If the straight pein is really a set hammer or perhaps its a ground off top swage, it is meant to be put on the metal piece and struck with another hammer. The tongs shown are pretty much all shoeing tongs to hold hot shoes. There is also a nipper for cutting (trimming)off the outside shell of horses hooves. There are some rasps which are probably dull. They will be no good for wood, but ok for hot rasping of metal. At the top of the pic, you show vises, but I don't see a true post or leg vise. The terms are interchangable. The idea is that both jaws are supported by the post rather than one being supported by the screw. The mount to a bench simply keeps it from falling over. This way the vise can accept blows and bending without damage to the screw mechanism. The jaws also will have a spring to push them open as you turn the screw anti-clockwise. I will be happy to answer any other questions if I can.
    Have fun with them,
    Owen