Jonathan's Shop

Shes'a coming along real GOOD Jonathan.:thumb: I like your shop sign, and I really like the way you wrapped the metal around the outside corners. Looks like you caulked them when you put them up too and that will sure keep a lot of that cold air out that wants to sneak in. I've still got to remove all the metal corner trim they put on my building and spray some of that expanding foam sealer in there, as there are too many gaps that are just a little too wide for plain caulk to do any good.

Congratulations on getting the DC too. Although I have a precut kit to build a Pentz cyclone, And a New Blower fan wheel for a DC1900 Jet to build the Blower, it will probably be a long time yet before I can get to that project, and since I still have a "Cupon" for that same HF DC (for $139.99 + tax), that is good until Dec 21/09, I have sure been thinking about getting one to use in the interim while I'm building the shop cabinets, etc. I don't remember seeing that "Accessory Kit" you got, in our store here, so how many feet of that 4" hose comes in it?

Thanks Norman, yeah, R10 insulation between the studs, pink fan fold insulation between the metal and wood and a few cans of "Great Stuff" in large cracks. Then to finish the can I just wandered and sprayed in old nail holes that were exposed. Eventually thought I would go around with a caulk gun and fill them with silicone. I am confident this is better insulated than my home. Guess that is next on the long list of to do things. My dad says I will be able to heat this building with a candle!! :rofl:

The DC was getting needed. With this shop closing in and getting tighter each day, the dust was terrible whenever running a saw. I did not know what to expect, but am very pleased with the lack of noise (I can talk to someone else with it running) and the suction :eek::eek: Dang gone!!! It is powerful! That cupin is excellent!!!! That would be a better buy for sure! At that price, I would be inclined to buy it and resale it! Actually, thought of putting in a whole house vacuum system for my wife when we insulate, this would do a very good job at that!
I went back and looked at the picture on the box, shows only one hose, but really think there were two 12' 4" flex hoses in it. Then the collector like already in place on the bottom of my table saw, a bunch of clamps, a couple of blast gates, a Y and a couple of other probably connectors for equipment.
This is one time I am glad I bought the extra box! Like my lathe, spend all that money and then don't have a tool to turn with, buy a DC and it didn't come with a hose to pull sawdust off of the floor with!! That box was $50.00. Might have been high for what I got, but I got to use my DC as soon as it was put together. Saved my blood pressure!!:rofl::rofl:

Way to go Jonathan. Youre off the hook now.:D:thumb:

Man you have made incredible progress. I too like the look of that corner. Glad to hear you going to follow the advice of norm and sandblast. Boy that shop sure is looking good. You must be real pleased with yourself.

Just love the sign. I am thinking i need one too. Will have to give that some real thought. I not that creative in that department.

Stu kudos to you for helping out with the camera manual. Its a real RAK.( Random Act of Kindness):thumb:

Norm your sense of humour is fantastic man. You set me up for a great day with that laugh. I trully enjoy it where ever and whenever you post.
Gosh I looked up how far away you are from me and now thank goodness the internet exists. Wish you were in my neighborhood. Working with you must have been laugh a minute.;):thumb:

Jonathan I think you are going to be home and dry on the steak dinner. But then i guess that was known all along by the competition.:)

I have to be honest and say when i first saw the pictures of the corn crib i thought wow this guy is going to turn that into a shop. Then i got to remebering my "radio shack" i made out of old crates when i was around 12 years old and I thought how we loose sight of things in life and end up thinking its better when new but it aint. There is a ton of character in your shop. There is a story behind just about everything. None of that would be there if it was production built like mine is.

I have been reminded about a lot on this forum from people like yourself. It has made my shop time even more pleasurable and made me get back to the experimental days i used to have when younger.

Thanks Jonathan for sharing.:thumb:

Next up Steak dinner pics Eh! Dont forget the camera.:rofl::rofl:

Wow a new shop, one can only dream:santa:, maybe for Christmas...2015 for me anyway.

congrats
Bob

Welcome to the Family Bob! I am honored your first post is on my shop thread!!! Yeah, I have lived here 17 years and used this corn crib for many things over the years. It is a "cheap" or as Rob or Norman says, "green" build. With this, I can hopefully get all of the "finish" work completed on our home after I build my wife some kitchen cabinets.

Way to go Jonathan. Youre off the hook now.:D:thumb:

Man you have made incredible progress. I too like the look of that corner. Glad to hear you going to follow the advice of norm and sandblast. Boy that shop sure is looking good. You must be real pleased with yourself.

Just love the sign. I am thinking i need one too. Will have to give that some real thought. I not that creative in that department.

Stu kudos to you for helping out with the camera manual. Its a real RAK.( Random Act of Kindness):thumb:

Norm your sense of humour is fantastic man. You set me up for a great day with that laugh. I trully enjoy it where ever and whenever you post.
Gosh I looked up how far away you are from me and now thank goodness the internet exists. Wish you were in my neighborhood. Working with you must have been laugh a minute.;):thumb:

Jonathan I think you are going to be home and dry on the steak dinner. But then i guess that was known all along by the competition.:)

I have to be honest and say when i first saw the pictures of the corn crib i thought wow this guy is going to turn that into a shop. Then i got to remebering my "radio shack" i made out of old crates when i was around 12 years old and I thought how we loose sight of things in life and end up thinking its better when new but it aint. There is a ton of character in your shop. There is a story behind just about everything. None of that would be there if it was production built like mine is.

I have been reminded about a lot on this forum from people like yourself. It has made my shop time even more pleasurable and made me get back to the experimental days i used to have when younger.

Thanks Jonathan for sharing.:thumb:

Next up Steak dinner pics Eh! Dont forget the camera.:rofl::rofl:

Quite honestly Rob, you that are following and posting have been motivators for me as much as the bet. I appreciate the kind words and help. Yeah, I am real happy with the results and now am getting anxious to get in and do something in it instead of to it! But will wait until the interior is primed and painted before moving the lathe in, otherwise it would be "GameOver"!!!

Yep, would have liked to seen the looks and heard the grumbles when you all first saw the corncrib! :rofl::rofl:

SHOP SIGN; No creativity from this side of the fence. That is Pete's department and man he is GOOD! Seriously, look him up in the member's list and PM him your thoughts. He will pm you back and forth ideas, send pictures/examples of what he is thinking. I have never been unhappy with his work, prices or turnaround time.

Yeah, Stu is top notch finding stuff like that and sending it on isn't he! :thumb:
Norm's posts usually cause more than a chuckle here also! :p

As for the shop, I just hope all of us that desire one, find the way to create our own shop to suit us. Then with a supporting family solving some of the problems, it will become a reality. So it really doesn't matter if it is a shop like I started out with (under a porch roof) or a production shop like yours. It is the people and the creations that are the important things.

Yep, Mom and Dad were here for supper last night, dad pretty much conceded the win to me. But can't tell Eric. He has the waitress fixing up a fake bill for over $200.00:eek:, and she is going to give that one to him:rofl: dad wanted me in on the joke :thumb: so he told me last night at the table. Guess Lou Ann has known since the party :huh:.

I wondered if it would be appropriate or appreciated to take a few pictures of the steak and dinner party. So guess I will try to remember to grab the camera and get some pictures.

Ya comin to Larry's on the 29th?

Last edited:
Here is the handy way to haul rough cut 2x6's up to the woodshop.
Bringing in the wood.jpg

This is the front of the shop as it was Sunday morning.
Woodshop Front I.jpg

After a couple of hours, service entrance doorway sided and trimmed out. This cheap dado blade from Harbor Freight has paid its way. Ship lapped, screwed on.
Woodshop Front II.jpg

From another angle to get a different perspective! :D
Woodshop Front III.jpg

The other side of the garage door, sided.
Woodshop Front IV.jpg

Here is a fairly straight headon shot of the shop as it now stands. The top will be metal, have the Z trim on.
Woodshop Front V.jpg

Saturday was spent on many things around the farm. Hauling calves to the processor today, so had to move some gates, get some other things like mowing completed. So the sub driver gets to haul my bus kids home today, have to leave right at the beginning of my prep hour (last hour of the day) to get the trailer hooked up, first group of calves loaded, then have one heifer that didn't calve this spring to sort out of the pasture and load on the back of the trailer. Had two nice heifers born this year, so she goes and they get the chance to stay in the herd. Sunday, didn't feel motivated to do much, got this completed, as you can see, wasn't much, cut to length, run a dado on opposite sides and screw on the side of the building. Trim went pretty easy. Everyone that has seen it likes it, wouldn't matter anyway, I like it so it was staying. Next summer planning on extending the roof line out about 10' so I have a porch area to build large outside items under. That will go a long way towards protecting the front of this wood. Still thinking maybe Thompson's water seal on it. Don't need to get real fancy, just rough cut and nope, not sanding it! All comments, facts, opinions, and general discussions appreciated, till next time, :wave::wave:.

looking real good Jonathan, I bet you can just about taste that steak dinner.:thumb:

My dad conceded the bet. He is paying regardless what I get done. Kind of kept Eric (future son in law) off task Saturday. He is getting nervous. Dad is having the waitress give him a phony bill twice the normal amount. Almost, almost feel guilty knowing this and not telling Eric. :rolleyes:;):D:rofl::rofl:

Wow I feel lucky i am not one of those heifers :D Dont produce and out you go.:rofl:

Now for the front...ya got me confused. I though this was also going to get tin over it like the rest. Guess i missed something here. Is this wood meant to be the siding?

Question for you. How powerful is your table saw. When you swung that Dado to do the shiplap joint did you angle the blade at all or is this just a flat shiplap. Not sure if i am making myself clear here. One of those crazy days when i seem to have my foot in my mouth.:rofl:

Now we all waiting for pictures of the steaks;)

Wow I feel lucky i am not one of those heifers :D Dont produce and out you go.:rofl:

Now for the front...ya got me confused. I though this was also going to get tin over it like the rest. Guess i missed something here. Is this wood meant to be the siding?

Question for you. How powerful is your table saw. When you swung that Dado to do the shiplap joint did you angle the blade at all or is this just a flat shiplap. Not sure if i am making myself clear here. One of those crazy days when i seem to have my foot in my mouth.:rofl:

Now we all waiting for pictures of the steaks;)

Hey, we all got to pay our way! She almost got a second chance, but two really nice heifers born to the right cows (one my wife's belted galloway). Second, had a person with cash wanting beef, the stars were aligned, she is going on the load.

Yeah, what's going on, you sleeping again? Oh yeah, its that oldtimer's disease kicking in, two times in one day, watch out Rob!!! :rofl::rofl:

Table saw is pretty good. A Delta contractor saw I bought at Lowe's to replace an old Craftsman that was worn out two owners ago! Flat shiplap. Same as what I did on the floor, only didn't plane the boards. Over the garage door, it will be metal. Then when I cut that out, I will make duplicates and that will finish the peak on the West side. Then the outside will be completed. We are going to roll the metal corners onto the wood front, think that will top off everything nicely.

you are definatly making a silk purse out of a sows ear jon:) your ingeniutity has definatly paid off.. if i look back far enough i can remember a few times where i had done the some of the same things in one form or another..you have done a fine job making a very useable shop in a very short time frame.. yu definatly want the painting done before moving in though. dont get to carried away with the DC till yu come visit me.. bravo my friend:thumb::thumb:

Well, the outside is completed except for soffit (sp?). Will get to that soon. :rofl:

But yep, it is all metaled on the outside, roof, doors in, need door sill made and installed under the garaage door then it will be 110% done! :thumb:

Yes, I know, no pictures, didn't happen. Well, here is the proof!
Front done.jpg

Evidently all of the work finishing the outside has wore out the one shop manager!:rofl: (she is laying in front of the building, dear Lilly).
Front done I.jpg

Here is the back wall. Not as much attention to detail up at the tails of the rafters as on this side the soffit will hide that area.
Back wall done.jpg

Never been this way before, but bought this fire extinguisher and got a first aid kit out of an old bus, so this is all I did today!!! :thumb::thumb: Hey, it's my birthday!!:thumb::thumb:
Safety.jpg

Well, the outside is completed except for soffit (sp?). Will get to that soon. :rofl:

Never been this way before, but bought this fire extinguisher and got a first aid kit out of an old bus, so this is all I did today!!! :thumb::thumb: Hey, it's my birthday!!:thumb::thumb:
View attachment 36927

:clap::clap::clap::clap::congrats: Mighty fine accomplishment in such a short time, and :thumb: on your Good decision to add the Fire extinguisher and First Aid Kit and mount them so they have a permanent Place and are easily accessible. Now you can take time to catch your breath a little 'fore Pressing on as you have time. I'd say you have given yourself a pretty NICE Birthday Present.:thumb::D

View attachment 36927

Smart boy you are Jon. :rofl:

I like rustic, my wife would tell ya, Dave would feel right at home in your shop. All you need are deer antlers tacked up all over :rofl:

Happy Birthday Jon

:thumb:

I notice the lack of metal on the front. Is that getting painted to match the house? Or did you just not want metal on the front of the shop?

Amazing progress, Jonathan, and a testament to what can be achieved by some good old frugality and a can-do attitude. My hat's off to you!