Jonathan's Shop

Hey Jon, it's looking Great, (and you made good progress too).:thumb: The silver paint on the panels you are going to put in the ceiling will work good to stick to the metal, and somewhat cover up any remaining rust dust, but if you will then apply a coat of white gloss paint of some kind over the silver, you will be amazed at how much additional brightness you will get in there.

Now, one more tip, "IF" you can find a "Sandblaster" to borrow OR rent, AND have a spray gun, you can sandblast ALL the sheet metal siding, AND paint one coat on them in a half day, and boy oh boy is it easier to sandblast that metal than wire brushing it.:D The other plus is that you really get ALL of the rust off when sandblasting, and the paint will stick better AND no rust will start eating away under the paint. (I can vouch for this from first hand experience).:thumb:

Keep up the good progress.:thumb:

Future son in law stayed on the couch last night...
Practicing for when he's married, no doubt.
high5.gif

The shop's looking more and more shop-like, Jon. :thumb: Glad to see you're getting over the crud.

Hey Jon, it's looking Great, (and you made good progress too).:thumb: The silver paint on the panels you are going to put in the ceiling will work good to stick to the metal, and somewhat cover up any remaining rust dust, but if you will then apply a coat of white gloss paint of some kind over the silver, you will be amazed at how much additional brightness you will get in there.

Now, one more tip, "IF" you can find a "Sandblaster" to borrow OR rent, AND have a spray gun, you can sandblast ALL the sheet metal siding, AND paint one coat on them in a half day, and boy oh boy is it easier to sandblast that metal than wire brushing it.:D The other plus is that you really get ALL of the rust off when sandblasting, and the paint will stick better AND no rust will start eating away under the paint. (I can vouch for this from first hand experience).:thumb:

Keep up the good progress.:thumb:

Now Norman, you have been "THE" paint guy so far. Seriously? The white will brighten and reflect more than leaving the metal silver? If that is so, I did not know that!
I do have a portable sandblaster, but really hate the dang gone mess. I won't go ballistic on it with the wire brush (on a 4" angle grinder), but use a non sanding primer that really does a good job of bonding paint (use it on gravity wagons, even though none of mine are painted!).
Thanks for the heads up on the paint.

From Vaughn,
Practicing for when he's married, no doubt.
The shop's looking more and more shop-like, Jon. Glad to see you're getting over the crud.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Very good!!!!

Feeling better, just go from a full tank of energy to empty pretty quick yet.

From Bart,
I'm thinking if I sent you to the store with 10 cents you would come back with the product & at least 10 1/2 cents change.

Hey, I am learning, my wife taught me that back when we were raising the family and farming on my teaching salary.

jon i think yur gonna be eatin steak:) and it lookin more like a shop every day. and i agree on white over silver..for light reflection..outside you will need some good rust stoper to keep it from coming back again soon.. gonna be a whole lot nicer this winter and lou wants her cabinets finished:):thumb::thumb:

Now Norman, you have been "THE" paint guy so far. Seriously? The white will brighten and reflect more than leaving the metal silver? If that is so, I did not know that!
I do have a portable sandblaster, but really hate the dang gone mess. I won't go ballistic on it with the wire brush (on a 4" angle grinder), but use a non sanding primer that really does a good job of bonding paint (use it on gravity wagons, even though none of mine are painted!).
Thanks for the heads up on the paint.

Yeah Jon, the silver will help some and you would think it would really reflect the light, and I'll be the first to admit that I don't know why, but white, especially gloss white is very noticeably brighter. When my Dad worked for the Gas Co many yrs ago, (before they had Two way Radios in the trucks), they painted all the Phone shacks they had scattered around the different gas fields with silver paint on the outside. Inside, the walls were white but since the ceiling was just the roof metal, they painter the silver on it and the rafters too. When they went through a few years later doing general maintenance, repairing leaks and repainting, they painted ALL of the inside white and they were MUCH brighter inside than they had been before.

On the Sandblasting, it is messy, but if you put a tarp on the ground below the wall you're working on, you can catch most of the sand and crud, (and even reuse the sand). (I just like that method better 'cause I guess I'm a "little bit" Lazy),:rolleyes::D but mostly 'cause it gets the rust that is deeper in the pores of the metal better than the wire brush system.
Note that this is only a suggestion though, and ya gotta do what works best for you. :thumb:

I'm still betting that ya'll win that steak dinner,:D and you had better win, 'cause that young SIL is gonna have a big appetite worked up from all that work by then, ('n I'll bet you will too).:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Soooooooooo,.....Jon, what did the Family think about your Progress on your New Shop when they came to the Farm for your Big Labor Day Reunion Blowout????????:D Are you still on track to make the Deadline for the STEAK Bet?:D

Yes, good time had by all! My Aunt and Uncle from North Carolina came up. He is a woodworker, he is becoming very crippled as he ages and has slowed on many large projects. He loved the shop, he told me to come down next spring, he had over 1,500 board feet of wormy chestnut, red cedar, black walnut and sycamore I could have. Oh and 6 mantles 8"X6"x15' I think he said of the wormy chestnut. That you can't quote me on. Anyway, yep, will be dragging the flatbed gooseneck down there come spring (after the daughter gets married). Eric got out pen and paper and made up a list with my dad on what actually had to be completed, Uncle EM, dad, Eric and I signed it. :rofl::rofl:
Monday, got the header made and installed, West tin on up to 9', South wall completed, split a sheet and wrapped it around the corners so no sharp edges! Interior West wall completed top to bottom. Brother lives in Muncie, happened to remember to ask him to check on price of dust collector at Harbor Freight. Within budget so he brought that to me Saturday when he came up. Put it together Saturday night, man does it suck!!!!!!! Will use it for time being as a roll around unit. Eventually am going to put a gravity wagon under the lean to, then blow the dust/chips into that wagon. Nephew came over Monday morning and we took the garage door down, upside down like I had it, it wouldn't go up and around the curve as the notches were backwards. So flipped it right side up, installed the rails and got it put back together. Did not finish installation of the top rails as this coming Saturday we are going to finish installing the ceiling, then the top rails. I plan on having the shop finished to win the bet by this coming Sunday. Allen is coming by the following Saturday (19th) so don't want to be hustling around like I was on Monday!!! Had to come back to school to get some rest!!:rofl: Yes I know, without pictures, didn't happen. Rained last night so barely stayed dry feeding the cows let alone trying to take pictures. Will see how tonight goes. Til then, :wave::wave:.

Ya doing great Jonathan :thumb: There is a small detail that i seem to have missed but dont want to give away to the enemy (them that stand to loose on the steak dinner). Hope they dont read this forum cause i wonder how a shop can be a shop and run all those machines without a panel that supplies ELECTRIKS? Now that it would seem will take a little longer than Saterday Eh? or do i have my facts upside down?:D

Jeff you had me :rofl::rofl::rofl: in stiches over that reply to Ned. My bad Ned but as my mother always said if the cap fits wear it my man.:):thumb:

Well Jonathan the picture police will surely give you a waiver for a day or so but then man i cannot hold them back for longer.

Ok stand clear guys and give the man some air....:D

Ya doing great Jonathan :thumb: There is a small detail that i seem to have missed but dont want to give away to the enemy (them that stand to loose on the steak dinner). Hope they dont read this forum cause i wonder how a shop can be a shop and run all those machines without a panel that supplies ELECTRIKS? Now that it would seem will take a little longer than Saterday Eh? or do i have my facts upside down?:D
Well Jonathan the picture police will surely give you a waiver for a day or so but then man i cannot hold them back for longer.

Electric?:eek::huh::dunno::doh: Nope, kidding, didn't want to even attempt drilling through all of those native oak studs. Wiring wasn't part of the deal. I will have exposed wiring (have a solution) but won't lose because it isn't there. All four sides finished (not painted), ceiling, doors useable, floor in is what the bet states.

Thanks on the waiver! :thumb:
Try to get some taken tonight, might even post them tonight!! :rofl:

Jeff you had me :rofl::rofl::rofl: in stiches over that reply to Ned. My bad Ned but as my mother always said if the cap fits wear it my man.:):thumb:

It's a Nieander shop..;):D

Someone should have bet you a steak dinner too! :rofl::p

Fortunately there isn't a deadline on my shop... other than the next owner might be running electric the way the economy is going. Which is Fine by me for now... I'm still out there using it!

Rob,
Art had Me rolling on his comment, no worries.

and As a card carrying member of the Pic police, Jon gets a pass, school year, busy life, all that... However he'd better have extra popcorn :lurk:

what? what? I didn't say a thing! ;)

It's all good, Art! :thumb: