while at my brother's party today, one of our friends asked if i could make a sign for her other's birthday. i said ok. she liked the idea of the scorched pine, with the engraved lettering. now to give it a try...
before i called it a day, i cut the parts for, and glued up the blank for the sign. i'm thinking about torching it while it is in the clamps, and leave it there for a few days. see if that settles the problem with cupping.
are you torching both sides of the sign, if not that my be what is causing the cupping. By torching one side and no t he other I am sure the uneven moisture content caused by drying out one fave of the board and no the other is the culprit.
Next time try scorching both sides to ty to equalize the pressure.
got this one done pretty much over the last couple of days. the first half of this time off has been one snake bite after the next. this time it bit me when i realized (after i started), that i had forgotten to realign the text and detail work to the way the board was on the cnc. after fixing that, and realizing that i could save this project, kept going until it was way late friday night. finished up the carving saturday, and will place the braces on the back for the slight cupping on sunday, and then the finishing begins.