Back in the saddle with another box

Brett Luna

Maybe I can blame it on the COVID blues and getting used to teleworking full time, because something seemed to have really sapped my motivation to spend time in the shop. However, The Wife asked for another pet urn box, this time for her half sister's pup. She only just connected with her last year along with her birth father. It's been a heckuva thing.

Anyway, I wanted to do something a little different than the last batch of boxes, so I thought I'd soften things up a bit with a gently curved lid. This one will also include a keepsake tray, under which the ashes are to be interred. Wood choices are curly maple (on hand) and lacewood. Here's the initial glue-up of the over-height sides and the top and bottom panels:

IMG_0399.jpeg

Lid profile cut at the band saw. Everything sanded to 150, lid cut away on the table saw:

IMG_0420.jpeg IMG_0422.jpeg

Box cut to final height. The tray will sit on a partial liner held in place with interlocking rabbets and a friction fit:

IMG_0427.jpeg IMG_0428.jpeg

Glue-up of the tray. Sides were cut the with extra height for better stability/handling on the box joint jig:

IMG_0429.jpeg

Tray cut to final height, top edges profiled, and fitted to the box:

IMG_0431.jpeg IMG_0432.jpeg

Next up: hinge mortising and a finger lift.

Very nice, Brett. :thumb: I really like the curve on the lid, and I agree...it's going to really pop when the finish hits it.

Thanks, gents. I also agree about how the lid is going to look but I have to admit that I've already popped it a little. I don't want the maple to go so amber but I thought the lacewood could benefit from some BLO. I applied it to the flat surfaces before assembly and to the curved top surface afterward, of course. That explains the putty knives in the 2nd and 3rd images. I inserted them into the reveal around the lid panel to keep the BLO off the maple, especially when getting it to the corners.