Better Air

Bill Arnold

Staff member
After breathing shop dust for 25 years and being too cheap to do anything about it, other than use a mask occasionally, I finally added an air filter to my shop!

WEN3417.JPG
It's a WEN 3417 3-Speed Remote-Controlled Industrial-Strength Air Filtration System (556/702/1044 CFM).

I had dug in my heels forever because of the cost of operating one of these things going back some years. In some cases, the outer filters were special size and the inner filters were priced outta sight! When I started checking recently, I found a few things had changed and dug a bit deeper. This unit uses a standard 12x24x1 outer filter and the internal 1-micron filter is reasonably-priced.

I bought it on Amazon and thought the pricing was "interesting". This unit with an IR remote was priced at $420; with an RF remote, it's $267. Needless to say, I got the RF remote unit. The RF remote makes more sense anyway, since it works from anywhere in the shop, whereas the IR must be used facing the front of the unit.

Nice unit, should do the job.
Some years ago, i made one..a free squirrel cage furnace blower..ply box..furnace filters.
Works a treat.

OK I answered my own question

How to calculate need
Shop WxLxH
26x26x10=6760
Divide by 10

My shop needs 676 CFM

That one by Wen is 1040 CFM
My shop is 36x24x8.5 = 7344cf (overall), so the middle speed on this unit is about right.

The main side (addition I built) is 20x24x8.5 = 4080cf, so the low speed is all I need. That's the area where most of the dust gets created.

After I get a current project out of the way, I'll run it on high (1040cfm) and blow the dust off everything and let it run a while.

I've got a grizzly version. I've actually hauled it into the house when we were socked in with smoke from all the california fires the last couple years. Finally bought a dedicated filter for the house.

I would like one of those units, but my shop has too much open air to really be effective.... my roof is corrugated and lays on top of the walls... lots of daylight, bugs, wasps, etc use the openings as an express way, plus I generally work with the doors open so don't think it would pull enough of the dust out.... I just run a 20" box fan on a pedestal from behind and blowing towards the door... keeps part of the dust down.