cbn wheels

Hello all, looking to dive into the world of cbn grinder wheels along with a new grinder. I think I will go with a Rikon slow speed 1/2 hp grinder. Looking for latest views on the cbn wheels. Thanks for your time.

If you are considering that grinder I would recommend you look at the packages sold by Ken Rizza who owns Woodturners Wonders (https://woodturnerswonders.com/collections/rikon-grinders). You can call Ken and get good advice directly from an experienced turner.

My recommendation is to get the 1 HP Rikon grinder with a light already built in with two mega square wheels in 80 grit and a higher grit (opinions vary on what that higher grit should be; for me it is 180). I know it is a lot of money but this is a tool you are buying for the long haul and I have never regretted buying the best grinder I could buy. (I have a Baldor 8" 1800 RPM grinder which is truly the Cadillac of grinders but when I bought mine it was less than half of what they are selling for today.) I believe you will find that the price for the complete package is very competitive and Ken's service is second to none before, during and after the sale. He is one of the good guys.

I know one professional turner who has about 8 of these WTW setups in his shop where he teaches so they get a lot more use than an average turner might use a grinder and he has had no issues or complaints.

I prefer the square corner wheels which provide a larger face for grinding which I think enhances control when using the Oneway or Kodiak sharpening systems both of which provide a vari-grind fixture. I am sure there are reasons why a round corner wheel is of value but for my kind of turning I haven't needed it.

Alternatively you can buy your own grinder and then buy CBN wheels from WTW or from D-Way tools owned now by Jimmie Allen (https://d-waytools.com/cbn-grinding-wheels). Jimmie is also a very nice fellow and a fine woodturner in his own right. He will be glad to field your questions and assist you in the purchase of the CBN wheels he sells.

These wheels will last a long time if you take care of them and make sure you are not grinding soft steels and soft metals on them. They can be ruined in short order if someone starts using a CBN wheel to sharpen a lawnmower blade.

I have CBN wheels from both Ken and Jimmie...80 and 180 from Jimmie, and a 600 from Ken. The 600 is a round corner wheel for very light touch ups and I haven't had a chance to use it much, but was surprised in the difference in surface area between it and the square shouldered D-Way wheels. I'm sure I can make it work, but am having second thoughts about the round shoulder. The 1 HP Rikon with lights looks like a very nice rig, although the 1/2 HP unit I got last year is working OK for my needs.

I'm using the 1/2 hp Rikon and WTW square shoulder Spartan wheels in 80 & 180 grit. This has been a good setup for me with no problems. The combination package of grinder and 2 wheels is a fair deal and you will find WTW shipping to be very quick. Do purchase the beveled washer set for each wheel.

Can't add anything to what's been said... I too use a 1/2 hp slow speed... mine is from Woodcraft and has a single 180 grit cbn on one side and one of the white wheels that came with the grinder.... I bought my wheel from The Woodturning Store for about $130.... but notice now that prices have advanced some... the wheels must have gotten popular.