Cedar Strip Canoe Build...

Great, great job of taking us through this and thanks to you son for "playing' with the camera. I never realized the wood was so thin on a strip built. And all that epoxy sanding, you can have it. I hate that stuff even though I don't think there is any boat much prettier than a strip built. That is why I built a skin over frame kayak.

It is looking great. Can't wait until the next episode.

Dumb question but wouldn't you want to clamp both inwales in place for a dry fit before epoxy on the off chance you didn't have the bevel cut close enough on the first one?

I guess you could just make up the difference on the second one.. but Mr Type A here.. :D

Its looking really good! Wow!

Dumb question but wouldn't you want to clamp both inwales in place for a dry fit before epoxy on the off chance you didn't have the bevel cut close enough on the first one?

I guess you could just make up the difference on the second one.. but Mr Type A here.. :D

Its looking really good! Wow!

The book tells me to do one and then fit the other to the first one... :dunno:

Jun 4 Progress…

Another Wednesday evening in the shop.

Tonight we worked on fitting and attaching the inwales.

First, a minor aside… This has gone on much longer than we ever anticipated!
For that reason, as well as a few other reasons, I stopped by a canoe vendor on the weekend and bought a pair of seats as well as a deep-dish yoke.

We could have made seats, but this will save us several days of work! We could also have made a regular thwart or flat yoke, but a deep dish yoke is quite a challenging project, and also not really suited for a group project. So we took this shortcut.

Here we are testing to see how the seats look, and marking their rough positions on the hull.

Prior to attaching the inwales me marked every six inches along for screws. We needed to avoid the places where the seats would be attached, so it is important to mark locations. As well, we want to be consistent.

Then, starting at the centre, we worked our way outward, drilling pilot holes at every mark. We drilled them in groups, and then came back and fastened in screws in the same sequence.

In other words, we don’t pre-drill the entire inwale. We drilled 4-5, and then came behind and fastened in screws. Then we moved to the other side of centre and drilled some more holes and repeat until near the ends…

We just used screws. We could have used epoxy, but this is quicker and still strong. Also, should the boat ever be damaged, this will make it slightly easier to fix. But that might not actually be true, as the outwales WILL be glued on.

Sometimes we needed a few hands to hold the inwale where we needed it.

Planing down some of the excess cedar strips near an end

CONTINUED…

Jun 4 CONTINUED…

When the one side was finished we worked on fitting the other side into place so it could also be screwed on.

Need lots of clamps! Spring clamps are nice, since we take it on and off a few times

Trimming the end to fit

Not bad, though it still looks a bit funny as it is not yet fastened tight to the hull. It will look better once decked!

And that’s about it for another day!

Looking good, Art! I'm guessing that building something like this as a group project can me like herding cats at times. ;)

If the purpose of the project is fellowship, then speed is a secondary concern. You guys are doing a great job.

Looking good, Art! I'm guessing that building something like this as a group project can me like herding cats at times. ;)

You never know who will show up, and then when they do you sometimes are wondering just what you can ask them to do. And of course you have to restrain yourself when you think (know) that you could do it better yourself... :eek: But like Brent said, the purpose is also to build bridges between people.

But I will say that the number have dropped off quite bit the last few weeks. Sometimes it is just my buddy and me and my sons, which is also okay.

It's also fun when we get some lookey-loos popping in. They have no desire at all to help, just want to see. That's okay also. I think we'll get a lot of interest when we display it for the raffle. at the end, as it sure is a thing of beauty!

Looking read good Art, i was thinking the same with regards a gap. I expect you going to rout them in after.:dunno:

Is there going to be a way we can get in on the raffle. I aint never won anything before so pretty safe bet for a ticket that wont take it away. :)

If you make it possible i certainly would buy a ticket or two.

Are you going to put spacers between the side and the inwales? else it will be a pain to get the water out to dry. I have 1/4" spacers about 3" long spaced about 3" apart all along each side of mine. Your build looks great so far!

I confess that we took the lazy(?) way out here and did NOT put any scuppers in the inwale. It is true that we could route some in later.

I am also working on some decks for the ends, and those will have some holes in them for handholds + tie downs (when on a car).

And Rob, I honestly hadn't thought about out-of-town raffle purchasers. Hmmmm....

Jun 6 Progress (Jun 7 is next!)

Way back in April I worked on some test pieces to make a deck for the end of the canoe. I did this to test the procedure, and to have fun. I did not want just a simple board, but rather a “fancy” deck, with alternating strips of different colour/species of hardwood.

This is roughly outlined in the Ted Moores book, and some of the procedure is much like I use when making side-grain cutting boards.

The resulting test deck was way too big, but it taught me that the procedure was actually quite quick and manageable, and I refined how to get my measurements to work out.

Here are three deck “blanks” being glued up. The one on the right is two blanks, they are separated by packing tape, so that I can just share the clamps.

Here I take a blank… Actually let me back up. I am looking for a deck that is about 12” long along the gunnel. I measured the canoe at that point and the inwales are 5-1/2” apart at that point. So I was aiming for a deck about 6” wide, in order to have a half inch for trimming and fitting.

The way to make a deck is to take this rectangular piece, draw a diagonal, cut out the diagonal, and then flip and re-glue the halves together. So… how to measure that? I know the length I need, 12”, and the width, 3” (half of the 6” width I want). But that is one measurement short of what I need to figure it out with geometry. At least, I couldn’t do it. I ended up measuring on the board and figuring things out from there.

Take a look at this picture: I need a piece where a line drawn 90-degrees from that tape measure is 3” long where it hits the corner. How wide a board is that? I just figured it out from real like and trimmed the blanks to match.

Oh yeah, since the blanks are being glued back together they need to be symmetrical. They can’t be cherry-ash-cherry-ash for instance, they need to be cherry-ash-cherry-ash-cherry.
Otherwise they don’t match up when re-joined

Okay that was way too much writing… Cut the blanks on the diagonal like this

You’re left with a blank that looks like this:

Then when flipped the two pieces go back together like this, making a V-shaped deck. Note how the different species line up at the centre!!!

The diagonal is then smoothed flat (on the sander or CAREFULLY on the jointer) so that they mate up well. Then I cut a slot down the centre of the join.

A spline is then fabricated to go down the centre in that slot. This helps with alignment and strengthens the joint.

Good luck with clamping diagonal pieces like this!

After the glue was dried, I sanded them, cleaned things up a bit, and cut a shallow curve in the rear of the decks — just traced a paint can for that. I also trimmed the original test blank down so that it was the same size. Oh and someone is probably going to comment on that red stripe of paduak down the centre. I did that on the test piece to HIDE the joint, as was pretty sure I would NOT get a clean joint where the two pieces met. Turned out that I COULD, and so I skipped it on the real decks. Looks nice though…

CONTINUED —

CONTINUED —

June 7 Progress.

Just two of us today, my friend and myself. He brought his own canoe which he’d built about eight years ago. It was off the same forms as this one. He brought it so that we could take the measurements off of it for the seat placement — easier to just copy an identical canoe than figure things out from the book.

So he just quickly dismounted his seats and used them as templates to cut our seats.

Meanwhile, I worked on fitting the decks. Or tried to. Turns out that I really should not have tapered the inwales the way I did. Look at how they compare to the deck. It was going to be a real bear trying to get those to fit smoothly together.

(Of course you don’t HAVE to have decks, you could just cap the ends, or something else, but we wanted decks.)

I took the spare deck and traced out the lines, and cut them out on the bandsaw. I wanted to test everything here before doing anything to the real decks. This was a wise move! as the results were horrible. First, the bandsaw in the shop is really not well tuned. But still, to fit to the inwales I needed to cut this weird curve on the deck, and getting everything to fit was not going to be easy. I was in despair for a time!

I came up with this solution, which my friend agreed would work fine. The Deck’s current size is almost perfect for fitting there at the end of the boat. So we decided to just cut out the inwales at the ends, and fit the deck in, and it would serve both as inwale and deck there.

(Good thing we had NOT glued the inwales in place, just screwed them. Actually even more good, as we later looked and realized that the inwale curve was just not right in a few places and we need to adjust them up or down. Partly that was our own inexperience, and partly that was the fact that the ash inwale just wanted to curve it’s own way.)

Here is one deck fitted into place. I cut the point off the end, cut out the inwales, and angled the sides on the belt sander to somewhat match the angle of the canoe sides. This is a loose fitting, but with screws and epoxy it will fit very snugly.

Meanwhile my friend was busy — not so many photos of that, though. He trimmed and fit the yoke into place. It is just about 2” in front of the centre of the canoe. You want just a bit more weight in the back of the canoe for when you portage, so that the nose of the canoe sits further up, so as not to block your view as you carry it. It is currently held in place with some wood screws. These will be replaced with bolts next time.

One thing that I did NOT get on a photo… With the yoke in place, the top of the canoe pulled IN a bit. We now have some tumblehome! Took me ages to grasp the meaning of that term. It means that the canoe actually bulges outward a bit below the gunnels. I’m not going to even try to explain more than that!

Here is the rear seat with this vertical standoffs, sitting loose in position.

Second last thing we did was mix up some epoxy, and toss in a lot of thickener until it was like mashed potato consistency, and then smear it around the decks and around the hull and screw and glue the decks into place. We got a nice tight fit on both decks.

(and yes, I know we need to put a hole in there probably — to serve as a finger hole and also a place to attach a rope for tying onto a car and/or holding the painter.

Last thing we did was pull in my friends canoe for a repair. One of his scarf joints had opened up, so we cleaned it out, and packed it full of epoxy and clamped it — not too tight so we don’t starve the joint. Hopefully we got it right.

And just for fun, here is a look at his canoe — I love how he put in those thing alternating-coloured strips along the waterline. Gorgeous, but also a lot of work.

(and I would like to apologize for the poor photo quality of a lot of shots. With the recent demise of my shop camera, I've been using an iPod for a number of photos.)

sorry, i'm going to be annoying.
Are you going to leave the ends open? Just wondering as I was told that with fiberglass cedar strip canoes there isn't enough wood to keep it afloat if it fills with water so You need to stuff each end with Styrofoam.