clamps for clamps:)

larry merlau

old clamps without manuals for reminding us how to use properly:( i had some clamping to do with a long area to clamp and it was late in the day i was on the last part and tightened it down one more time and hear a craaaack!!! well it was cracked and i had used the clamp on the clamp in the wrong way!!! but its fixed with help of his cousins:)

Attachments

• clamp fix.jpg
    clamp fix.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 61
  • clamp fix2.jpg
    clamp fix2.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 60
Can you please enlighten me Larry? What sort of a clam is bow clamp? From the pics it seems that yours is a stick Sliding into another grooved one to allow for adjustement I think. But apart from that I’d like to see how they are used, and how they look like.

Thanks a lot Larry. I have a question though; in any way there will be always more pressure on the center of the clamp than on the ends won’t it?

I'll chime in for Toni. The pressure is varied to some degree by the bow and by the end-point clamping. I have not noticed this to make them any more or less usable. Although these are marketed as something that will let you reduce the number of clamps you need or use, I find them (mine are shop made) to be more useful in getting clamping pressure to areas that are hard to reach. I don't have many example in pictures apparently but, you can see one here allowing me to put clamping pressure on a panel in a dado that runs along a deep carcass.

Bowed Caul Example.JPG

There is a vertical Bessey K-body clamp in front and one behind thta press the bowed surface down. This distributes pressure all along the dado-and-panel joint for gluing. I do often find I cannot use them where they might be useful due to the high pressure they exert. I have played with the idea of making some with an even more gradual curve than my shop made ones. I made my own because I wanted a more gentle curve with less pressure for what I do. The Bowclamps are well made and very well designed. I just needed something with a little less bow.