Did I ever say I hate omputers

Leo Voisine

Well, I redid my computer - or dare I say it redid me

I installed a different, empty hard drive and did a brand new fresh install of Windows 10.

I did NOT back up anything from my previous hard drive because I was planning to reinstall it as a second drive. We used to do that at work.

I did that and is WAS working - BUT. I needed stuff on the old desktop and could not find it.
No problem - reinstall the old drive and boot up on the old drive, backup what I needed

BUT

That drive would no longer power up. Even in another computer it will not power up.

So, my old hard drive is dead????

Fortunately I don't save much on the C: drive as I have a data server.
But recently I did save some stuff on the desktop.

Now I am back on my computer with a brandy new install of win 10 pro and absolutely nothing else. NOTHING.

Boots up really nice.

wow that would call for a real stiff drink.. was gonna sk you a question a home network threw windows ten but i think i will hold of till you get yous back doing things right:)

So, my old hard drive is dead????

Likely, if it won't power up at all. Check the connectors really well and make sure nothing is obviously loose. You might have zapped something or there was a weak junction somewhere the broke moving it around, doesn't always take much. Sometimes you can see the bad connection and fix it or just get everything "wiggled" just right and it works (and then don't touch it until the data is migrated). With older drives we used to be able to get another drive of the same type and re-solder the controller onto the moving bits but modern drives have stuff in the controller so you can't get the data off of the platters (easily) with a different control board (mostly true, some exceptions).

The guys at work will put the drive in the freezer overnight (in a bag). It may give you another run to recover any data when booted, may not work at all, but might be worth a try.