Elm & Mahogany Bowl.

The work is up to your usual high standard, but to be honest the form doesn't really grab me. Of course that's a subjective opinion, so take it for what it's worth, lol.

Yes, was made to be utilitarian following a request, always had a preference for curves myself.
That explains a lot. :thumb: You've always had a great eye for curved forms, so I was a bit surprised to see this one from you. If that's what was requested, I'll bet the customer was very pleased. :)

There's always a difference between personal preferences and those of others, when I'm just churning out oddments that are destined for fund raisers and holiday markets I just concentrate on finish (at least if you get that right it can't be down played) and whatever comes out of the wood on the lathe having dodged the defects and turning errors, often resulting in some obscure forms but the majority hit the spot with someone.

The planned production of some 'aesthetically pleasing' and intricate assemblages that flew away one year often fall flat the next.

Have no desire now for 'production' just a growing realisation that if I don't make inroads into the wood store someone else will end up with the problem.
At least if they are left with a stash of finished items they will have a source of little gifts for some time to come rather than clearing a lot of firewood.

I actually kind of like how this echos the form of a wooden basket. From a distance it really kind of feels like a classic old fashioned apple or harvest basket. So I'm going to claim that in large part the detailing redeems the form.

A newbie question: How difficult is it to turn mahogany?
The majority of them very easy, hence their preference for fine furniture of old.
The Brazilian Mahogany used above very much so, softer than Walnut and very smooth grained, if it was not for it's colour some would say bland.

Mahogany is not an easily found wood these days in the UK due to conservation measures, I was lucky to get hold of some cabinet makers offcuts from very old stock that can't be sold on the commercial retail market because its provenance can't be traced, I also have some salvaged from old furniture.

Charles, did you use tapered stave construction on the elm pieces? I like the addition of the contrasting veneers. Gives the piece a lot more visual interest.

My first thought was that it needed a bail handle because of its resemblance to a pail or bucket. A few years ago I made some similar forms and actually created a bail for them.

You may not recall but some time back we had a discussion/exchange about glue creep and you recommended cascamite. I bought some and it worked out great. Did you use cascamite for this construct?

Yes Mike, they are segments or staves.
I did use Cascamite, it's the only such glue with a reasonable working time in 'home workshop' sort of quantities.
Unfortunately we are having problems in the UK with the latest versions which are using an alternate product or source for the main ingredient since the only source of it in Iraq stopped producing.

Some have moved on to using Aerolite One Shot but it is only supplied in commercial quantities too big for realistic home workshop use.

Yes, was made to be utilitarian following a request, always had a preference for curves myself.
One of the reasons I defer most custom orders... I tell people that what I see in a piece of wood will not be the same as what you see... like you I prefer the curves...
I do like the little bowl though, great combination of woods. Someday I'm going to get into the segmenting... I keep looking and studying, but so far haven't ventured beyond a little experimenting and not satisfied with my results.

The majority of them very easy, hence their preference for fine furniture of old.
The Brazilian Mahogany used above very much so, softer than Walnut and very smooth grained, if it was not for it's colour some would say bland.

Mahogany is not an easily found wood these days in the UK due to conservation measures, I was lucky to get hold of some cabinet makers offcuts from very old stock that can't be sold on the commercial retail market because its provenance can't be traced, I also have some salvaged from old furniture.
Thank you Chas! I've a stock of Mahogany sitting on a shelf and now some will be headed towards my lathe...