Elm Tree

Dave Hoskins

Just took down an elm tree that was about 16" in diameter. Twas dead so it was a matter of when my back said go for it. Not a huge tree by any means but there is some good wood in it. Some of the trunk is hollowed out, but still good wood even there. Already have one bowl roughed out and drying in the kiln. Around Monday I'll be taking down a live oak tree and later a juniper that has a good trunk to it. Have some more hackberry coming soon. And, hopefully some red cedar. Still on the hunt for more pecan. Pickings have been real slim on that.

Spain was full of elm trees years ago. Unfortunately grafiosis took over and most of them died. Now only some patches withing woods that were inmune to the disease survive. The goverment started a genetic study of those to find out a potential cure and/or reforest areas with siblings from those.

I was looking into what you said about grafiosis (Dutch Elm Disease) but that does not seem to be the case on these trees. The elm trees I brought in 2-3 years ago from right down the road were just fine. But, the soil there was a lot better for them. I'm on top of a hill and it is real rocky making it difficult for some trees to have a good root system. That may be the issue here. Dunno. I just know that the elm on my land always seem to be hollow even when you examine them for damage to cause rain to get into the center and cause fungi to create the hollowing and find none. Just another one of them thar puzzlements for my poor brain housing group.

It's my understanding that Elm trees tend to be a little sensitive to disturbing their root system.... I had one just outside my back door at my house in Humble.... I needed a patio poured, the contractor dug up the ground slightly, laid his forms and poured the patio.... within about 6 months the tree was dead... it was a small one only about 10 inches diameter.
When we moved here, there was a big elm about 30 inches at the base that stood just beyond where my shop was going... the landscaper that prepped the ground cut back to within about a foot of the base of the tree.... it died in less than a year and I had to take it down.... had it stacked until I got to it, but didn't get to it as soon as planned... 15 years later it's just a mound of sawdust and/or dirt.