Fire on the homestead

Rick Prosser

This is what we saw when we drove up the driveway on Wed evening after work.:eek:
FirstSightArrivingHome.jpg
The Fire Dept had a truck on our road searching for the source of the smoke, so response was almost immediate. They got the fire out quickly, but we lost our irrigation well (where we think the fire started), the sawmill shed, drying shed and all the air drying lumber. Will loose trees in the woodlands, but won't really know until spring.

Remains of well house.
WellHouseRemains.jpg

No impact to house and shop, and no injuries, so all-in-all it was not too bad considering what "could have been".

FD says things will smolder and flare up for a couple of days, but they pushed in a fire break around the affected area, so should not have any more issues other than smoke.

Insurance should cover the well, but the sheds and lumber were not covered. Will have to replace some parts of the sawmill, but should remain functional.

Yeah. Definitely could have been a lot worse. Glad the house and all are alright. The lumber and other things are just that when compared to life. Just things, and even though the loss is bad enough, that sort of thing could have made a turn for the worst.

Aw man, looking at the photos is gut-wrenching enough. I can only imagine what it must feel like in person. As others have said, glad it wasn't worse, but very sorry to see it happened at all.

Sorry to hear about your loss Rick. Glad it wasn't worse then that. When I first saw the pictures I thought you were in CA. because of the fires we are having out here.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yikes, sorry just seeing this. Glad this wasn't worse Rick and the house and shop were ok.

Any chance the stacked hardwood that burned is in good sized charcoal chunks? If so, you might be able to bag and sell or use it at least. :)