Firewood Prices?

I got the boiler going yesterday, but had a joint in the line in the basement come apart. Picked up a torch and solder today to resweat it.
The first of the wood he brought was from downed trees, but is pretty green yet. Luckily I have enough other wood around to burn for now. I’ve been throwing a few of the green logs on the fire to dry out after I get a good coal bed going. I’ve asked him to bring me a load of dryer wood if he has any to at least use as starters until some of this other dries out more.

I filled the OWB to the top of the door last night. It has burned down to just below the door. I put a lot of stuff with really wet bark on it on top. It did just fine at drying that stuff out. I loaded it back up this morning.
The house is about as warm as it’s been since we’ve been here, the heat seams a lot more consistent throughout the whole house with the baseboard radiators.

0EBBF776-46E7-4C6A-8F53-8A639B6DF558.jpeg
It only burns like this when the doors are open, otherwise the blower only runs as needed to keep the coals hot at the bottom, and smolders the rest of the time.

Our OWB only has a flap in the door that is actuated by temps. It is either open or closed. When we were boiler shopping some of the styles that used a blower didn't have a flap so even when the blower was off, the air could travel around the blades and through the pipe. It is amazing to me how it retires itself, ours is a Central Boiler. It will eat any kind of wood and has. From green to punky to dead. It does hold wood longer the drier it is though. What kind of OWB do you have?

I don't know what an OWB is, assuming it some kind of boiler unit that used steam to heat a house....
I do remember back in the dark ages when I was young my father would cut cord wood for the fire place with an axe... after I got to be about 10. part of my chores was to keep the wood box by the fireplace full and sometimes on a really cold morning I had to get out of my warm bed and start the fire so Dad could get up to a warm house... rarely used any of the fireplaces in my houses after I grew up... most were more decorative than actually functional.
I do remember my dad talking about a "rick" of wood... he normally meant that it was a 2x2x8 ft high and 4 ricks made a cord....don't hold me to that as it's been 70 years or more since I remember him talking about that.
He passed away in Jan 1989 while loading a cord of wood he had cut -- just to have something to do -- he was 74 years old and if he got bored would take is truck and go find trees to cut and cut up for wood... by then he had gotten a chain saw that he liked to play with.

What kind of OWB do you have?
We have a Hardy H2, made about 1990. It has the blower with a flap, which kicks on when the temps drop below a certain point. It also has the domestic hot water coil to heat water for use in the house. The automatic water fill works from that side and fills the tank as needed, though the valve seems to be stuck open or sticking open at the moment, so need to fix that.
I don't know what an OWB is, assuming it some kind of boiler unit that used steam to heat a house....
OWB = Outdoor wood boiler. Basically the firebox on ours is surrounded by a big stainless steel water tank, which holds about 100 gallons. The back side has a couple of pumps that pump the water through hoses buried up to the house and into the basement. Those circulate through baseboard radiators around the house and back out to the boiler. We also have a secondary pump that circulates water through an internal coil in the tank that heats water and stores it in the water heater tank for hot water in the house.

Here is the model we have, but not my video, ours is also in much better shape...

A video of the back side, which is similar, but we've left the temp sensors connected.

Once I get the garage insulated, I plan to add some hoses to circulate to a hydronic coil/fan in the garage.

I drove the tractor around the field tonight with the forks on. I picked up a dozen 6" diameter logs 6' - 9' long that washed up in the last flood in the field. Dropped the pile behind the wood shed to cut up for burning. Most of it was dry and somewhat punky, so should make good starters if need be.
Free wood is one of my favorite species. :D

I put about 10 logs in this morning. Twelve hours later it was down to one log and coals. We’ve got a storm coming, so loaded it up with about sixteen 8” logs tonight, probably could have added 6 to 8 more to fill it all the way. Might have wished I had tomorrow morning to give me a few more hours.

Well, it didn’t get as cold as predicted, it was only burned down to about the bottom of the feed door.

last night filled
586D5BA0-DB54-439A-9637-5B341DCFC273.jpeg
This morning, put one log on for contrast. The grates are just above the ash door.
2D7A3596-F1D3-4277-A9DB-F0BC3BF7C958.jpeg