Gonna need a bigger chain saw

Don Baer

Staff member
this past week while visiting my son and grandson in Kalifornia I took the to see the big trees in sequoia National park. This is the General Sherman tree

5862.jpeg5861.jpeg

It is 113 feet around at the base, 275 feet tall. It lower branches are over 7 feet in diameter and the forest service figures it would yield 630,000 board feet if t were processed. It is over 2300 years old.

I thought that the General Sherman was the one with the tunnel cut through it that fell a few years back... maybe mistaken though.

I've heard that they only have a about a 6" root system... pretty shallow considering how tall they get.

I thought that the General Sherman was the one with the tunnel cut through it that fell a few years back... maybe mistaken though.

I've heard that they only have a about a 6" root system... pretty shallow considering how tall they get.
the one that has the road through it is in Yosemity ,National Park. The general Sherman (this tree) is in Sequoia National Park. Actually the one you could drive through you can only walk through it now.

I have been to several of the redwood groves as a kid camping with the scouts. Big Sur, Yosemite, the Redwood state park and they are all worth visiting. We happened to be closest to Sequoia tis time. Chuck it terns out that there are several drive through tree but the General Sherman is not one of them.

the one that has the road through it is in Yosemity ,National Park. The general Sherman (this tree) is in Sequoia National Park. Actually the one you could drive through you can only walk through it now.
I've been to Yosemite 3 or 4 times... must have missed the tree on my trips there... there is so much beauty there it's hard to take it all in on such few trips.
If you can only walk through, likely it's still growing and cars are somewhat bigger than they were in the '20s.... they are still awesome trees to see.... even the pictures.
I have an oak tree standing behind my shop that is at least 4 or 5 ft diameter at the base... if it ever falls and lands on the shop, just hope I'm not in there as it will definitely smash everything in there flat.

It's a perfect hanging tree... the first limb is about 10 ir 12 feet up, over a foot in diameter and perfectly parallel to the ground..:D