Hi from Josie new member needing help from UK

Josie Carter

I have inherited a large 10” sliding mitre saw. I am thrilled but worried that the bottom of the blade gard is broken. The make of the saw is BOSUN which no one seems to know anything about. And can obtain no info from the Net. Maybe it’s badged by a more known make. However I don’t have a manual so cannot source a new blade. I do keep my hands well away from blade but sometimes it drops down after I finish the cut and then the saw won’t stop and the On/Off switch becomes inoperable so I have to pull the plug. I have glued a stop pad on the guard which seems to work for the moment but REALLY need new guard. Is anyone familiar with this beast and can anyone source me a manual electronically for which I am willing to pay for their trouble? I have seen a couple of used ones on USA Ebay but nothing here in UK.
Here’s hoping someone is familiar with this machine

Welcome. It sounds like you have a case where the malfunctioning guard is more of a safety issue than a safety feature. I would never run a sliding miter saw without a functioning guard so you are caught between a rock and a hard place. I was gifted a 14" cast iron bandsaw clone made by a company that went out of business decades before. Despite being very nearly like many other Delta clones I could not get parts that fit and had to finally scrap it. Your saw may have been a similar tool or a "store brand" at some point. I am not telling you to scrap your saw. I am just sharing that sometimes free tools need to be valued at what we paid for them when deciding how far to go to get them operational. Pictures always help and may lead to someone identifying something that will help.

Welcome. It sounds like you have a case where the malfunctioning guard is more of a safety issue than a safety feature. I would never run a sliding miter saw without a functioning guard so you are caught between a rock and a hard place. I was gifted a 14" cast iron bandsaw clone made by a company that went out of business decades before. Despite being very nearly like many other Delta clones I could not get parts that fit and had to finally scrap it. Your saw may have been a similar tool or a "store brand" at some point. I am not telling you to scrap your saw. I am just sharing that sometimes free tools need to be valued at what we paid for them when deciding how far to go to get them operational. Pictures always help and may lead to someone identifying something that will help.
Hi Glen, the saw has only been used for one small job and cuts true and straight, so am loath to junk it without trying to replace the guard which I believe had wheels at the bottom before it was broken. There’s nothing wrong with the guard mechanism but it now can’t ride on the work
piece. It was a gift from a friend who had no further use for it and no room to store it. I have seen a couple for sale in the USA on Ebay but can’t find any info. It’s quite possible a guard from branded make would fit, would help if I could find a user manual. Thanks for your comments.