I'll Be Danged

We've been getting a little spit of rain most afternoons for a few weeks, but seldom enough to measure. It rained like cats and dogs here today for about 3 minutes. Our rooftop weather station says we only got 0.09". This time of year is when we typically get our monsoons, but it's been lighter than usual. On the other hand, we had a fair amount of rain in June, and that seldom happens here. :dunno:

We finally got HEAVY rain the thunder yesterday. Fire engines, police cars, lightning, thunder, dogs were scared, electric on and off.

That's it. OVER, dog days of summer are done, at least for the 10 day forecast. WHEW.

Won't be long and we will be breathing the smoke from the California fires.

We've had some nice sunsets from the one near JellyStone a few weeks back although the deluge there seems to have knocked it back a bit. So far mostly high level haze though so not to bad thankfully!

The main concern with "storms" here is whether or not we get more lightening than rain. A few rolled by south of us last night with a lot of booms and a few small starts but nothing big yet knock wood.

California and the western states are having a whale of a time with fires, drought, etc... I lived in CA for 11 years from '65 to 76" and cannot remember ever having the problems they are having.... I worked on the ramp at TWA for about 3 years night shift, and anytime I would leave my rain gear in the locker, it would rain, take it out with me and no rain?. :confused:

California and the western states are having a whale of a time with fires, drought, etc...
We've had a big one going out here all summer. The Hermit Peak/Calf Canyon fire is over 340,000 acres so far. I don't think it's gotten a lot of coverage in the national news because there hasn't been a lot of property damage. Much (if not most) of the National Forest land in the state has been closed or severely restricted since April. We haven't gone to my buddy Jeff's cabin all summer because of it, although he did add us and my 4Runner to the list of people/vehicles that the Forest Service is using to decide who to allow into the area.

We got a little rain at the farm this past weekend, about an inch or so. Things have greened back up. Hopefully will get the fields growing for another hay cutting again.

I was just talking with grandpa about the irrigation system we have and what size of pump may be needed to run it as we could water out of the creek yet if need be. The old pump was hauled off for scrap or sold years ago. I'm guessing it was an old hit and miss motor.