Jeff's Poker Handle

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
During Memorial Day weekend, LOML and I spent the weekend at my friend (and bandmate) Jeff's cabin. While we were there, one recurring problem was that the handle kept falling off the fireplace poker. I told Jeff I had the technology to fix it, lol.

A couple of weekends ago Jeff was over working on another project (a pair of frames for his driveway gate) so we discussed a few ideas and I gathered some scrap sycamore and walnut and milled up the pieces. Then, over the course of the next week, I made a few cuts and glued up the blank. On Friday of last week, Jeff came over and watched me turn the blank into a handle. He also took a few photos of the process. (Part of his job at work is photographing stuff. In fact, he and I have both been into taking pictures ever since we took a photography class together in high school. We go way back as friends.)

Anyway, grab a cup of coffee, warm up your scrolling finger, and get ready for a barrage of pics explaining the process...

Here's the milled wood ready to start gluing up, The strips of walnut are 3/32" thick, the exact same thickness as the kerf on my tablesaw blade. The Incra fence setup on the tablesaw makes cutting thin and consistent strips like this easy. I zeroed the fence with the side of the stock on the blade, and then moved the fence toward the blade 3/16" (the thickness of the blade plus the desired thickness of the walnut). My 3/32" strip came off the offcut (left) side of the blade. Then I moved the fence another 3/16" toward the blade and made another cut. I ended up repeating the process a few times just to have some spare strips in case they were needed. And yes, those are blade burn marks on the sycamore. I was feeding it a bit too slow, but the marks won't matter since they're going to end up as chips on the floor of my shop.

Jeff's%20Poker%2001.jpg

The next step was to make a 45º cut almost all the way through the blank. I set the stop on my miter gauge to a random location to make the cut in the approximate middle of the blank. The exact location wasn't critical. I will eventually cut four slots -- one on each side of the blank. I also left everything on the saw set up and locked in place until I made each of those four cuts over the course of the next few days.

Jeff's%20Poker%2002.jpg

This photo was taken after the first cut was made, just to show the depth of the cut. As you can see, it didn't go all the way through the blank. This was intentional.

Jeff's%20Poker%2003.jpg

Here's another look at the first slot I cut in the blank.

Jeff's%20Poker%2004.jpg

Next, I glued a strip of walnut in the slot. This photo shows the dry test fit. The walnut was intentionally cut a bit oversized, since I planned to trim it later.

Jeff's%20Poker%2005.jpg

The next day, after the glue dried, I trimmed off the excess walnut flush with the blank and cut the second slot on the next side of the blank. This photo shows the piece of string I used to work the glue into the slot before inserting the next strip of walnut.

Jeff's%20Poker%2006.jpg

Here's the second strip in the clamp.

Jeff's%20Poker%2007.jpg

I repeated that process for the next couple of nights, until I had four strips of walnut glued at a 45º angle to the blank -- one strip on each of the four sides of the blank. Some of you will have figured out what I'm doing here. The rest of you will learn in a bit.

Jeff's%20Poker%2008.jpg

Here's another shot of the blank right before I put in on the lathe. You can see the marks on the blank where I trimmed the excess walnut with the band saw. It didn't need it to be neat, because all of that sloppiness will be turned away on the lathe.

Jeff's%20Poker%2009.jpg

Here's an action shot Jeff took as I was getting the blank rounded off.

Jeff's%20Poker%2010.jpg

Another shot a few minutes later. The pattern is starting to develop, but there's still quite a bit of wood yet to be cut away.

Jeff's%20Poker%2011.jpg

Once I had the blank rounded, it was time to trim the length and decide where the pattern should be in relation to the ends of the handle. Nothing was measured...I just eyeballed where I thought it would look OK. I parted off the excess wood and left a small nub to trim with a small pull saw.

Jeff's%20Poker%2012.jpg

Excess has been cut off, and it's ready to use the drill chuck in the tailstock to drill a 3/8" diameter hole in the end of the handle for the poker shaft.

Jeff's%20Poker%2013.jpg

We failed to get any pics of the drilling process, but once the hole was drilled in the end of the blank, I stuck the point of the live center into it to continue turning the blank smaller. I wanted to hog off the wood quickly, so I used a (Easy Wood Tools) carbide scraper to speed things up a bit. The shavings were pretty warm, so I put on my turning glove. While I'm generally against wearing gloves around machinery, this is one case where I do make an exception. This glove has been wet so many times that the leather is stiff like a baseball glove. It would take pretty extraordinary circumstances to get it caught on a blank or spinning chuck. Nonetheless, I'm particularly careful when I wear it.

Jeff's%20Poker%2014.jpg

I planned to use a 1" copper pipe coupling for the ferrule at the poker end of the handle, so I turned a tenon on that end to accommodate the ferrule. I used machinist calipers to measure the ferrule as well as the tenon. I didn't actually look at the numbers...I was just using it as a gauge for the fit. I used the carbide scraper again for this cut just to help keep the diameter consistent and the shoulder of the cut square.

Jeff's%20Poker%2015.jpg

After I glued the ferrule onto the tenon, it was time to take off more wood on the handle part. I had already decided that the handle profile would be a straight cylinder with no coves, beads, or other fancy cuts. I wanted something simple to show off the inlaid pattern.

Jeff's%20Poker%2017.jpg

I left the tenon a bit shorter than the ferrule, with the intention that I'd trim down the copper once it was glued on. In this photo I'm trying to do that with the carbide cutter, but I didn't like the way the cut came out. In the end, I just used a machinist's file with the lathe spinning. It made short work of the 1/8" or so of excess copper. It also made it easy to round off the edge of the ferrule.

Jeff's%20Poker%2016.jpg

More diameter reduction of the handle.

Jeff's%20Poker%2018.jpg

Once I started getting close to final diameter, I switched to a big bowl gouge and used a shearing cut to leave a smooth surface. A real spindle turner would have used a skew. I'm not a real spindle turner, lol. But I get around pretty good with a bowl gouge.

Jeff's%20Poker%2019.jpg

The bowl gouge left a nice surface, so I was able to start sanding at 220 grit. If you look closely, you can see at the chuck end of the handle that I've also cut a short tenon for the copper cap to fit over.

Jeff's%20Poker%2020.jpg

I let Jeff do a bit of the sanding just to get a feel for it, and I'm guessing after he set his camera down, he forgot to pick it back up. We didn't get any pics of me turning the shorter tenon on the other end of the handle to fit the 1" copper cap that I glued to the end of the handle. This next photo skips several steps and shows me doing the final sanding with my 2" ROS as I worked my way up to 400 grit. You can see part of the copper cap on the end of the handle, peeking out from the jam chuck I turned out of the leftover sycamore blank.

Jeff's%20Poker%2021.jpg

Here's another view of the jam chuck. Pretty simple, just a tapered hole that starts out slightly bigger than the copper cap. I started the hole with a Forstner bit, and then put a mild taper on it with a small detail gouge.

Jeff's%20Poker%2021.5.jpg

Continued in next post...

After the final sanding on the lathe, I removed the handle and shined up the copper parts with a fairly firm wheel and tripoli compound on my small buffer. (One of many 6" buffing wheels I have for my mini lathe.) After that, it was time for the finish. Here's a shot showing the handle immediately after the first coat of BLO.

Jeff's%20Poker%2022.jpg

A few more consecutive applications of BLO over the next few days, followed by some light buffing and waxing, and here's the finished product. The poker shaft is simply epoxied into the hole in the handle. The placement of the Celtic knot was intentional...I didn't want it centered. Jeff hasn't seen the finished poker yet, but I think he enjoyed seeing the process of how wood went from rough scrap to a turned handle, and how a lot of things (like the jam chuck) are made up on the spot. I'll probably buff up the copper one more time before I give it to Jeff, but we both know the unfinished copper will eventually develop a nice patina...suitable for a cabin in the woods. The wood will also develop signs of use, and that's the main reason I went with a simple BLO finish. It'll be easily refreshed as time (and wear) goes on.

Jeff's%20Poker%2023.jpg

As an aside. the wood for this project was given to me by some good mutual friends of Jeff's and mine. The sycamore was from the center slice removed from a log chunk that was cut into bowl blanks. That wood came from Ron and Renee, who had to remove the tree from their yard a few years ago. The walnut was from an old and severely weathered board that came from Rick and Deb, and had been sitting outside in the elements for year. I think it was inherited somehow from either Rick's or Deb's father. Rick had no use for it, so he gave it to me a couple of years ago. (And it has continued weathering on the side of my house since then.) Rick and Ron were both at the cabin on Memorial Day weekend helping Jeff and me install the enclosure on his new water tank. We both figured they'd get a kick out of knowing that some of their wood will become an important and much-used part of the cabin. :thumb:

Nice styling. I hadn't thought of doing a ferrule on both ends like that, but it looks really good. Also provides some nice functional protection as well so double win.

Thanks for the comments, guys. I sent Jeff the link to this thread and not only did he like it, he took great joy in pointing out my typos (which I think I've fixed now). :D Then he made some comment about "Text Nazi", and I told him I preferred the term "Overzealous Language Enthusiast". :rofl:

Nice styling. I hadn't thought of doing a ferrule on both ends like that, but it looks really good. Also provides some nice functional protection as well so double win.

Truth be told, I was in the plumbing department at Lowe's looking for brass fittings, when I saw the copper ones were less expensive. I grabbed the coupling (ferrule) and just happened to spot the caps nearby. Hadn't really thought of the idea before, but figured it'd be cool to try it.

Truth be told, I was in the plumbing department at Lowe's looking for brass fittings, when I saw the copper ones were less expensive. I grabbed the coupling (ferrule) and just happened to spot the caps nearby. Hadn't really thought of the idea before, but figured it'd be cool to try it.

I've developed what some others in my household (cough) find a strange tendency towards buying up odd plumbing fixtures and brass bits of this and that at the various local garage sales when the price is right. :rolleyes: Bigger pieces of brass for pieces like this are kind of hard to find and are usually a bit thick and heavy for a ferrule though so copper fittings are imho a good choice.

For file handle ferrules and the like I've mostly moved to just copper pipe cut offs (use the little wheel based pipe cutter, then deburr the insides, party on). Cheap and relatively easy to use.

You did a great job with the ''play-by-play'' and the results showed great imagination and skill. Thank you for taking the time to post this!

good work vaughn! one quick question, how would using micromesh to buff out the copper would work? i prefer grammar zampolit myself...:rofl:
I suspect Micro Mesh would work fine. I have a couple packs of the stuff, but tend to go with my various buffing wheels because they're handy and quick. Also, I generally don't like buffing lathe projects when they're spinning. Every time I've done it (even going to the finest polishing abrasives I can get) I can still see the concentric swirl marks in the finished product. By using a buffing wheel, I can avoid those marks.