Latest "WoodWorking" project - Updated - It Flew!

Video of latest

So, Got a new kit, a motor glider.

This kit is amazing. I don't think I've ever put together a laser cut kit, just the die cuts. This thing has pieces that are joined by little laser cut micro dovetails, interlocking tabs, etc... It's really more like putting together a 3d jigsaw puzzle. No pins needed on the building board, as you just butt the pieces together and flow a little thin CA into the joints.

Heres a little time lapse video of my current progress.... I'm working on the wings today.

http://www.vimeo.com/2645839

Hi Brent, great model and I liked the music. What is the name of the song and band?

That music is from the "Picking On Zepplin" series, Volume 1, "Ramble On".

That's some of my favorite mashup music....

One of my next projects has to be a banjo. I've built several ukeleles, a mandolin, and a travel guitar.

I seriously need to learn how to play the banjo....

Last edited:
Thanks Brent. You have me watching all your videos. Man I envy you being out in the open space. I have always wanted to get something airborne to try out taking a picture of the house from above. Good for you on doing it. Lately I spend too much time in a hockey arena or on the way to one.

Last edited:
Lately I spend too much time in a hockey arena or on the way to one.

When I was a kid in Iowa, we'd got skating in the winter. I was so annoyed that my Mom bought me figure skates instead of hockey skates. :rolleyes:

Finally got my own hockey skates, but never really got into Hockey, and I don't know why. It's got everything I like. Sharp dangerous things on Ice with sticks and a hard little puck you can shoot.

I think you just might have convinced me to start watching hockey... Gotta got get the DVR setup for some games....

I say put it on a shelf and admire it a while before you set it off for a flight test.
It was painful watching that big one go down.

No guts no glory!

Already broke the first plane in this thread twice...

If the weather get's nicer, I'll break it again...

But, I might try and find a softer landing zone for the next try.

I have no doubts that the new glider will fly on the first try. It's so well engineered, it's amazing, really. Makes me want to buy an enormous "Laser Saw" for all of my woodworking needs.

Last edited:
That was some fun videos to watch. :thumb: Planes and tech have come along way. I got a Heath Kit 5 channel proportional radio for Christmas of '67. (made by kraft if I remember right) Built the transmitter, receiver, and the four servos had a lot of fun putting it together. I then built a Falcon 56 and never went to anybody to learn from but figured it can't be that hard to fly. Heck I've been at the controls of a real Cesna, so this little thing should be a cake walk:rofl: First mistake was painting it all black. Needed it to be cool looking so I painted a Playboy Bunny on the tail! Plane looked great so got my buddy and headed for the school yard. Steve hand launched it for me and off it went. Never did have control over it!:rofl::rofl: I got some altitude so I would have room for error:confused: but then realized that with the color of the plane ALL black (remember it had to look COOL?) I couldn't tell if it was right side up or not:dunno: And another weird thing..... I couldn't remember which way to turn the sticks when it was coming my direction!:rofl: Needless to say it went back into kit form after about 45 seconds in the air:doh::doh: Steve and I went over picked up the pieces and went home. Never flew again.:p I sure get the urge now and then with all the cheap park models on the market. And ELECTRIC woo hoo no more bloody fingers!:rofl:

I did try to get into 1/4 scale once but during a move the 104" Bud Nossen (spl?) trainer got munched and that was that:thumb: The ex was happy that it was gone... I didn't have a shop so I was building it on the dinning room table :rofl: balsa dust everywhere:rofl::rofl: just couldn't understand what she was upset about all the time. I did have a great engine ready for it too. It was an Enya 1.2 cid four stroke on ignition. It started so easy and would idle so slow... I think I had more fun just running the engine than thinking about flying a plane:D

By the way thanks for bringing back some fun OLD memories:D:thumb:

Royall's comment on bloody fingers reminded me of my one and only attempt at flying anything. My older brother got a Cox Gas powered plane. The one that was tethered to a double kite string and you stood in the middle of a 30 foot radius circles and controlled the "Up/Down" controls.

I tried to start the engine once and it cut up my thumb pretty good. I was probably 8 or 9 at the time. It was the first of many times I've used the duct tape over a band-aid trick to stop the bleeding. That trick has come in handy in my forays into home construction/renovation.

Happy New Year!

Jim

Royall's comment on bloody fingers reminded me of my one and only attempt at flying anything. My older brother got a Cox Gas powered plane. The one that was tethered to a double kite string and you stood in the middle of a 30 foot radius circles and controlled the "Up/Down" controls.

I tried to start the engine once and it cut up my thumb pretty good. I was probably 8 or 9 at the time. It was the first of many times I've used the duct tape over a band-aid trick to stop the bleeding. That trick has come in handy in my forays into home construction/renovation.

Happy New Year!

Jim

When I was a kid, my dad had got some sort of control like kit and a .049 motor for us to put together. I don't think we ever got the kit put together, but I did have a great idea for making a little 'thing' with the motor that would scoot across the ice on couple of runners using the motor and prop for propulsion. Got it all built and decided to start up the motor in the basement work shop to make sure it was working. Well, I didn't have the craft fastened down, so as soon as I got the motor started, the thing took off like a streak of lightning across the floor and hit the concrete wall and smashed both the craft and the motor to pieces. It was probably for the best that I never got that thing out on the ice, who knows what would have happened!

Well, Finally got it put back together and got an official first flight.

Unfortunately, the motor died mid flight for whatever reason and I had a hard landing.

The good news is there was no damage to the plane, other than the dead motor.

I think it'll be a keeper!

http://www.vimeo.com/2692695