Need some ideas

Don Baer

Staff member
I have been asked to quote on building some units to install in a custome home. All the client has given me so far is a picture and is asking for a proposal to build something to "improve and enhace the functionality" The are looking at a place for the TV storage, and want some drawers and book shelves. All I have so far is a photo of the area. I used sketchup to put some rough demensions in. Attached are jpeg files one the client sent me and the other the phto after I demensioned it. I have asked the client for some ideas but in the mean time I figured I give you guys a shot also.

This could be a fun project.

Ideas please.Cut_Out.jpgBook shelves.jpg

Don,
Interesting project indeed! My first reaction is that I hate to build something to the specs of a particular TV. What happens when they get a bigger one??

If I were building it for myself, I would make it configurable so that the height and width of the tv area could easily change. But that kinda rules out drywall fixtures and then you can't get the arcs in line with the sections.

I would start by asking your client what they like about the one pictured and what they don't like.

Hope you will keep us "posted" on your progress!

Thanks for sharing,
Jess

I agree Jesssee, I have sent them an e mail and am waiting for their reply. I am also tossing around some ideas in sketchup. If the item to the left of the TV is a speaker I tghinks that a pair of smaller speakers above the TV would be better since those are faily small holes anyhow and that would free up the larger space for storage and/or Book shelves. They could even put their DVD etc in that area if they have one.

Agree on the TV issue. With the increase in popularity of the wide screen HD models, most folks will be replacing with those. An older square box style won't fit in that opening. This looks like a nice home and folks with some disposable money will want to glom onto the latest model TV pretty soon.
OTOH, if you make it to fit the old box, they might call you back with another job to fit their new, and bigger one. ;)

I have been asked to quote on building some units to install in a custome home. All the client has given me so far is a picture and is asking for a proposal to build something to "improve and enhace the functionality"
Ideas please.

Don, I'm a little confused... Is that photo an idea of what they want? Or is it a photo of the area that they have now?

That area to the left looks like it is for component storage: DVD player, receiver, etc. It doesn't look like a speaker to me.

I agree that it could be fun. With the transition to thinner TV's that is happening these days, the whole area of entertainment center storage is up in the air. Previously you needed to build this huge deep thing, to accommodate the depth of the tube. You don't need to do that anymore! Flat screen TVs are taking over. DVD players and VCR's are also getting shorter and shorter (front-to-back I mean).

I wonder if we can now design entertainment centers that are just the same depth as a conventional bookcase.

I know, you still need to allow for receivers, amplifiers, and maybe TIVO units... but those could maybe be housed separately? Or find some other way to do it. I do know that if it was me, I would NOT be designing the old standard 24" deep wardrobe-type unit.

best
...art

Don, I'm a little confused... Is that photo an idea of what they want? Or is it a photo of the area that they have now?

That area to the left looks like it is for component storage: DVD player, receiver, etc. It doesn't look like a speaker to me.

I agree that it could be fun. With the transition to thinner TV's that is happening these days, the whole area of entertainment center storage is up in the air. Previously you needed to build this huge deep thing, to accommodate the depth of the tube. You don't need to do that anymore! Flat screen TVs are taking over. DVD players and Vcrs are also getting shorter and shorter (front-to-back I mean).

I wonder if we can now design entertainment centers that are just the same depth as a conventional bookcase.

I know, you still need to allow for receivers, amplifiers, and maybe TIVO units... but those could maybe be housed separately? Or find some other way to do it. I do know that if it was me, I would NOT be designing the old standard 24" deep wardrobe-type unit.

best
...art
Art the Picture on the left is what they have presently. The one on the right I just traced the open areas in SU so I could get a feel for the dimensions. I agree with the depth issue. It will be interesting to discuss this design with them and take it to fruitition.

I got an E mail back and he thinks that he would like to remove all of the partition and have a bookcase with cabinates built. So I have a clean sheet of paer to work with. So I have a clean sheet of paper to wotk with. The demensioon are 102" high by 96 wide and 28.5" deep. Hmmm now it says that he is planning on upgrading to a larger TV.

what is behind the partition? If it is a hallway... you could give them a shallow unit on this side (full depth for some components) and shelves or cabinets on the other side also, as well as easy rear-access to the cables?

Don, if they're planning a new TV make sure they take a look at using Yamaha soundbar speaker system to go with it. Aside from the audio quality it has the advantage of needing no trialing wires going to gazillions of speakers scattered around the room and that in turn affects both the design and installation issues for the unit. A couple of short wires from tv to soundbar stacked immediately under tv is so much simpler to handle.....

http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/20/yamahas-ysp-1100-digital-sound-projector/ has some details

Hi Don,
As I look at this situation I get the urge to incorporate teh fireplace into the big picture as right now it is not much but it is a big part of the picture. This could be a really exciting project. Good luck
Shaz