Not every project can be a winner.

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
Going to head back to the drawing board with this one. I wanted a little caddy for taking tools and equipment out to the blackstone so drew this up this morning and cut it up on the cnc.

• For starters, it's just way too big.
  • I'm not happy with the assembly method.
  • It's a bit ugly.
  • The plywood is pretty low quality
  • The design is, just a bit off.
The big square is for holding a 1/4 size steam pan for holding misc 'stuff'.

I don't intend for it to carry food out, but condiments, and other stuff would be nice.

I think I might actually delete all my fusion 360 files associated with this, lol.

(But I will use it till I make a replacement.)

1693701353843.png 1693701376703.png

I like where you were going with it, but does look a bit large. My rv griddle is ona slide out frame, from under the mini fridge. I use a magnetic paper towel holder stuck on the fridge door. Some kind of bottle and spatula holder would be nice. I have a folding table I recently started using, but still a production to get it all setup.

Looks pretty darn nice for a speedy concept to finished project. I need space for food and accessories so I use a folding table from Costco for mese en place and haul out all the necessities on a couple of sturdy washable Ikea trays. Some pop up food tents keep the bugs off the food. Everything we use around the griddle eventually gets oil/grease/butter on it, so it all needs to be washable.

I agree with four of your five bullet points. Since I didn't assemble it, I can't make any judgements about the assembly method. :D It does look like it serves the intended purpose, though. :thumb:

It is absolutely NOT a fail.

No way hosea

I college I was doing a lab experiment with super glue and testing the tensile strength. The claim was that is that one drop could hold a VW Beetle up in the air. I had sample test bars made and I tested the glue on a Tineous Olsen tensile tester but the failure rate of the test was way lower than expected. I wrote my test report and turned it in. I got a BIG -F in red for a grade. The professor told me to rewrite the report and told me to report on what I learned. We talked about it, then I rewrote the report with my new observations. I then got a BIG FAT "A"

Brent - trash your original observation - you just got a F- from me, not because of the box, but because of your report.

What did you learn?????
What improvements are to be made???
What do you like about it??

It is absolutely NOT a fail.

No way hosea

I college I was doing a lab experiment with super glue and testing the tensile strength. The claim was that is that one drop could hold a VW Beetle up in the air. I had sample test bars made and I tested the glue on a Tineous Olsen tensile tester but the failure rate of the test was way lower than expected. I wrote my test report and turned it in. I got a BIG -F in red for a grade. The professor told me to rewrite the report and told me to report on what I learned. We talked about it, then I rewrote the report with my new observations. I then got a BIG FAT "A"

Brent - trash your original observation - you just got a F- from me, not because of the box, but because of your report.

What did you learn?????
What improvements are to be made???
What do you like about it??

Oh yeah, Still getting in the learning on what I want from it.

What I am very happy about was being able to take and create a project in F360 in a couple hours, process it in vectric, and then actually cut and assemble the project.

Once I kind of figure out what I really need I'll whip up another version.

So ypu learned a lot from the project and how to make it all better.

If you had not done it, you would not have learned all that.

To me, creating all of that in Fusion and then you created all the cut files, assembled it all - is pretty impressive to me.

Did you use Fusion to create the cut files, or did you do it in Vectric?

What I am very happy about was being able to take and create a project in F360 in a couple hours, process it in vectric, and then actually cut and assemble the project.
asked and answered, lol
I was wondering why he didn't use Fusion to create the cut files, why the extra step. Fusion will do it easily I assume all you need is G-code and Fusion will do that in the part called Manufacture.

So ypu learned a lot from the project and how to make it all better.

If you had not done it, you would not have learned all that.

To me, creating all of that in Fusion and then you created all the cut files, assembled it all - is pretty impressive to me.

asked and answered, lol
I was wondering why he didn't use Fusion to create the cut files, why the extra step. Fusion will do it easily I assume all you need is G-code and Fusion will do that in the part called Manufacture.
I'll have to check out creating the gcode files in F360. I've only been importing the vectors into Vectric because I'm more comfortable there.

Guess I'll go though some manufacture tutorials today. Sure would save some time and steps.

1693753512914.png

Humm, if you have not learned in 26 years of marriage that cooking tools are not the thing to give the wife for marriage anniversary,,,you are in for a long rough ride! Take a little advice for an old hand, 56 years, keep it simple, flowers, nice card and a night out..Trust me on this!

But I like your idea on what you made. Just not for an anniversary present.

Seems like it would be fine if you don't mind wheeling it out on a little dolly. I have one of those folding ones that I use for such things. We get caught where we need an item (like a tool tote in my case) to hold certain things to be truly useful. Once we have all those things on board it stops being useful due to weight. I love the idea. You just need to percolate on it a bit. I am sure you will get there and I look forward to seeing version 2.

Humm, if you have not learned in 26 years of marriage that cooking tools are not the thing to give the wife for marriage anniversary,,,you are in for a long rough ride!...
I'd never give my wife cooking tools as a gift because she doesn't cook and she'd quickly figure out that I bought the gift for myself. :D That's why I stick with giving her cleaning products instead. :rofl: (Seriously, one Christmas we decided the gift we'd give each other was a new Dyson vacuum...purchased after Christmas to take advantage of the after-Christmas sales.)

[Edit to add] Seriously, I just read this post to her and she laughed hard and agreed with me. She loves that Dyson vac, and she honestly does think cleaning products are a great gift. She's also told me repeatedly to never buy her flowers because they just die eventually. She'd rather have a plant, but she'd also rather pick it out herself.

Last edited:
We don't really do gifts much anymore, because we both pretty much either already have what we want or usually just buy it ourselves, lol.

I do most of the cooking around here because I just kind of enjoy the process of doing it. That's kind of why I got the blackstone. The idea of just having a big piece of hot steel to cook on has been in the back of my mind for quite a while.

This ends up being a win/win, because she likes what I make, usually, lol.

I am using the caddy I made, even though it's comically large, it does serve the purpose. I really like the idea of redesigning it and generating the gcode in f360, so guess that's what I'll do today.

Breakfast today.

1693765464426.png