Plywood and composite scrap

If they made sheets of these materials the right size there wouldn't be so many scraps. :giggle:

When I was making jewelry boxes I accumulated lots of plywood scraps. It seemed like I was wasting as much as I was using. I guess I should have designed my boxes to more efficiently use the plywood. Of course I was using 1/8" and 1/4" plywood in those days so the scrap pile was not nearly as heavy as yours.

On occasions I did find similarly sized scraps and cut them to the same size and made a batch of boxes that were the same design and size. I seldom did production runs of the same item and when I did this to reduce the plywood scrap pile it was because of my guilt about wasting so much "good wood".

I also found these scraps useful for making jigs, extension fences and waste blocks. I still had lots of pieces that were relegated to the fireplace.

To further complicate my waste plywood scrap problem there was a salvage lumber yard in a nearby city that on occasion sold damaged sheets of Baltic birch plywood. These sheets are 5 feet by 5 feet. They weren't the right size either. I used them to make shop furniture and jigs for my table saw. On one trip he had a few sheets of 1 1/4" (32mm). I have never seen that particular thickness for sale anywhere. I bought all of those (they were $10 each). I built a portable planer stand and my router table from that material. It was heavy as lead. The scraps from my Baltic birch were too good to throw away.....

Last edited:
I tried gluing up plywood scraps to turn a bowl in the manner of Rude Osolnik. It was a less than satisfactory experiment. I used regular old plywood and the soft inner layers combined with all the voids to make a rather ugly bowl. Perhaps if I had used my Baltic birch plywood scraps I would have had a better result. Alas, I didn't.

I tried gluing up plywood scraps to turn a bowl in the manner of Rude Osolnik. It was a less than satisfactory experiment. I used regular old plywood and the soft inner layers combined with all the voids to make a rather ugly bowl. Perhaps if I had used my Baltic birch plywood scraps I would have had a better result. Alas, I didn't.
Plywood? Pfft. OSB is where it's at, buddy. :D

VM 1010 02 - 800.jpg