Reconfig of the Carol/Don/Brent CNC or as I like to call it, the Big CDB. Updated -> DONE!

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
Projects beget projects. As part of my guitar project, I need to use my cnc to help me build some jigs. Unfortunately my old OX was a little small for the task.

On the upside, I did get the OX running, so theres that. Still on the upper part of the upside, I've got the CNC That Carol Started and Don got built and running.

I figured if I was going to use it, it was a good time to redo things a bit to meet my needs. What I'm going to do differently is:
  • Convert it to a grbl controller.
    Mach 3 is fine, but I've never used it and just dont feel like learning another system.
    I also don't want to have to have a pc directly connected to the machine to run it. I've got a bunch of pc's laying around and one less machine to take care of is a bonus.
  • Adding a raspberry pi to the mix
    This will let me us CNCJS to run it. I can control it and run it directly from a tablet, use my phone as a pendant for jogging, etc.
    Will allow me to add a web cam for timelapse recording and monitoring.
  • Reconfigure the base
    My shop is small and Anytime I can add shelves or storage to project I'm all in for it.
  • Enclose the electronics
    My shop can get pretty dusty at times, so I'm going to enclose the electronics and use filtered positive pressure ventilation to keep the insides dust free.
  • Add some 3d printed doodads here and there, lol.
So first step is to get a handle on what the wiring does.
This is probably a work in progress, and it's messy, but It helps me understand all the components I need to account for. This in no way reflects how things will be layed out physically. Just kind of figuring out what I need and where they connect.

Carol Don CNC Wiring Diagram.png

What I'm planning on doing for the cabinet.
I'm going to build an electronics enclosure with positive pressure ventilation for dust control and recess it slightly.
Drawers for storage of all items. Thats just a rough drawing, I'll probably have some narrower drawers on top and deeper ones on the bottom.
On the right side at the back will be a cubby for material storage.

1678556682359.png1678556694775.png

As part of the prep I went and looked for all the Carol and Don CNC Threads I could find. Let me know if I missed anything.

Carols Threads

Dons Threads

Attachments

• Carol Don CNC Wiring Diagram.png
    Carol Don CNC Wiring Diagram.png
    107.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Well, Time to get started on the base cabinet.
Here's the basic design. There'll be some more interior parts going on, but for today, I'm just going to get started on the joinery.

1678648299379.png

Ryan talked me into Mortise and tenon, so I pulled out the old general. Been a long time since I've used this machine.

Not unhappy with the results on this test piece so far.
1678648391524.png

1678648415000.png

Mortises and Tenons cut and dry fit done. Now I need to clean out a spot next to the machine in order to glue it up, lol. There's a lot of moving stuff around thats going to be happening soon.
Basically, This needs to go on the other side of the table saw, and it's going to be easier to get it there before it's built than after.
wGl.gif

There are some other cross pieces that will be going in, but those will be put in using pocket screws, There'll also be some 1/2" ply skins going on so whatever mistakes I've made will be hidden and they will provide additional structural rigidity.
1678833367185.png

All glued up and assembled. The end on the left uses floating tenons and screws.

I really only did the mortis and tenons because it was an opportunity to use them. I kind of failed to fully utilize them on the two top left crossmembers, but hey, at least the glue up was easy.

I will say that it has no detectable flex at this point and feels pretty solid.

Now if the 8 packages that have been sitting on the other side of the sierra nevadas would make it here, I'd be able to make more progress.

As it is, I'm probably going to need to get my ox moved out of the shop at some point to clear up room for things. It's actually sitting on my old router table, which I think I might just tear down and remove the ox. Need to give it a think.

1678911021441.png

you cheated, I had to wrestle that beast by hand....lol
:p

I gave it a thought, but it is heavy all assembled like that. I could get the front edge lifted, if I had the gantry all the way to the other side, but that was about it.

I was pretty happy with my bit of redneck engineering and that I had all the components just laying around. That little chain hoist has come in handy more than once over the years.

In that last pic, the board running front to back in the center of the bottom left of the cnc frame. Hope it can be removed for that 4th axis/rotary you're going to want to mount there. ;)
View attachment 124370
Yeah, it's just held in by pocket screws.

That is the place that I think the rotary was supposed to go. I guess how much space I need for the rotary depends on whats used, but should the centerline be right at the same height as the spoil board?

Yeah, it's just held in by pocket screws.

That is the place that I think the rotary was supposed to go. I guess how much space I need for the rotary depends on whats used, but should the centerline be right at the same height as the spoil board?
Center line will be middle of the chuck or spindle's centerline, however it is mounted. If you have it removable you can make it what-ever height/swing is, but if it stays attached I'd think you'd want the rotary below the spoil board where a piece of spoil board could go over it giving you the full width of the bed for flat work. Swing would be the distance side to side of your frame, how far the centerline is above the rotary's bed, or max distance to for the spindle travel, which ever is smaller.

Well, I keep seeming to tear it down just a little bit more, lol.
At 2450Kg per caster it is a bit overkill isn’t it? Even if they were 245Kg. :huh: Maybe you took the saying “in case of doubt build it stout” too far;)
Hmm, I think the machine as configured is probably around 350 pounds or 147 kilograms? The base, probably another 50 kilos? Not sure how much I'll stuff in storage under there, but lets say another 100 kilos.

So all added up probably 300 kilos total. I find sometimes these casters don't really live up to their specs, so this is good, and they are amazingly small for that capacity.