Red Oak Haul

Dave Hoskins

Not too bad for one morning of work. I didn't measure anything but the base is around 3' in diameter. Of course will lose some of that when I cut the root system off. There is still some more smaller (12" or less) that i will get either tomorrow or Sunday. This came from a place that they were clearing the land for a development and a really nice sized track hoe operator was nice and loaded it on the trailer for Bob and me. All we had to do was back the trailer near a tree and use one of my cables for pulling it off.

Attachments

• Red Oak 15Jul22 A.JPG
    Red Oak 15Jul22 A.JPG
    170.7 KB · Views: 26
  • Red Oak 15Jul22 B.JPG
    Red Oak 15Jul22 B.JPG
    185.3 KB · Views: 26
My temperature policy remains in place. When it hits 100,, me goes inside. No wood is worth heat exhaustion or heat stroke. I plan on doing with this what I always do with logs, etc. Plan, plot, cut. That way you can maximize the wood usage. I don't like wasting resources when it can easily be avoided.

I had some trees cut in my yard some years ago. All Red Oak. I had it all cut into firewood and the trunks into boards. It has been stickered and under cover for at least 4-5 years. This year I have started using it.

So, I will say with certainty that those trees you just cut will be some really nice project wood in a few years.

Well, it happened. I was a bit misled. There were no leaves on the wood which is my best way of identifying a tree when the barks are very much alike. I was cutting into some of the smaller areas and discovered it is not red oak. It's cedar elm. Still a good looking wood which I have turned many times. So, a bit disappointed in it isn't red oak like they said, but still a good wood for turning. Cedar elm is a very hard wood and can be cantankerous to turn. But, good looking stuff.

Oh, yeah! Free be free no matter how you look at it. It definitely is hard. I was just using the small saw this morning and had just sharpened the chain. Took no time at all and it was getting dull. Tomorrow will be using the MS311 on it. Gotta cut some larger limbs off of it so I can lay it down flat on the ground for better plotting and cutting.

I was just using the small saw this morning and had just sharpened the chain. Took no time at all and it was getting dull.

Kinda like the dry Oregon oak, just brutal on saws. Not to bad when green but man you let it dry out a little and yowsza. Unfortunately it also seems to often get kind of punky pretty fast due to some sort of fungal infection (which doesn't seem to add much for color either unfortunately).