Screws and Nails

I think there is a difference between woodworking and carpentry. Most carpenters that I know are pretty good woodworkers but the woodworkers I know would make lousy carpenters.
I use screws for just about everything. The only nails I use are usually used to attach trim, molding, or the backs of drawers or cabinets. The last time I used my framing nailer was 5 years ago when I built my shed. I use my brad and pin nailer fairly often and occasionally my finish nailer.

Bob I would tend to disagree with you in regards to wood workers and carpenters. I think you will find it Joinery and carpentry at least in the national union I am a member of. Yes there is a huge difference between the two and it is the time and patience that makes a good finishing carpenter or a joiner. Carpentry consists of framers and roofers, drywall, floor layers, Scaffolders, concrete form, Riggers, Asbestos removal. Joinery is cabinet making , furniture making. Both are covered under the heading of carpentry. Anyone can swing a hammer but knowing what they are doing and why requires the training hence the 4 yr apprenticship training. Just the same as Joinery. but I find that most (not all) carpeneters I know don't have the patience to be joiners. Just as most Joiners can do carpentry work but take too long to build a simple structure as they over think every situation. Not saying that this is everyone but it is a good generalization.

Can anybody help I am rebuilding a machinist tool box and I need to replace the hardware. I don't know what the fasteners are called and also where I can get replacements
see attachment

Attachments

• IMG_3899.JPG
    IMG_3899.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 17
Funny that nobody mentioned how nails should be nailed, I see too many people puting nails perfectly vertical instead of in a convergent angle which make the assembly stronger.