Starlink Internet

Is Starlink just going to be a satellite network sorta like the Hughes Net
Kind of but it's using vastly different antenna technology and quite a bit different spectrum (which is nominally more subject to rain fade but they're also using a lot narrower beams and better antennas which I suspect will make up the difference and then some).

How well it'll handle socked in weather is still somewhat open for me.. weirdly we haven't had any heavy cloud/rain since my co-worker got his setup. Early reports sound decent, but the level of thinderstorms y'all get out there in TN are a whole nother thing.. you'll get a years worth of our weather in 30 minutes! So I'm not sure in those cases.

Kind of but it's using vastly different antenna technology and quite a bit different spectrum (which is nominally more subject to rain fade but they're also using a lot narrower beams and better antennas which I suspect will make up the difference and then some).

How well it'll handle socked in weather is still somewhat open for me.. weirdly we haven't had any heavy cloud/rain since my co-worker got his setup. Early reports sound decent, but the level of thinderstorms y'all get out there in TN are a whole nother thing.. you'll get a years worth of our weather in 30 minutes! So I'm not sure in those cases.
I think the Starlink system is a much lower orbit than the Hughes satellites. That is supposed to mitigate the latency problem; having said that I have no idea what that means :huh: but I suspect it's the upload time.

I think the Starlink system is a much lower orbit than the Hughes satellites. That is supposed to mitigate the latency problem; having said that I have no idea what that means :huh: but I suspect it's the upload time.
Both upload and download. Basically latency is the time that it takes for each request to make it's "handshake". Not a big deal for most web stuff, but when you get into a website that is built to act like a desktop app, the app is sending multiple requests at a time and having to wait for each to make its handshake, before the responses come back, which can create quite a bottleneck. So a 50ms of latency can turn into several seconds of wait time with many requests and start to cause time-outs and other loading issues, depending on how the app is designed.

I used to use Hughesnet, but it was not really viable for the kinds of things I wanted to do.

It's fine for email and general text type things, but my work requires me to do an awful lot of remote desktop type work, and the latency just made that nearly impossible. It's like working underwater, you move your mouse, and a second or 2 later the mouse on the remote desktop would move.

Forget about voice over ip or real time video chats. The physics of sending a signal 22,000 miles to a satellite in geo synchronous orbit in outer space and back just dictates that there is going to be a time lag.

Still on the wait list, but have updated the shipping address to the farm at this point. I'm guessing I'd have had better luck requesting it for my current address, as others have gotten them around me, but too late to be changing the service location since we're moving.

I have been watching the outage predictions and the farm is showing about 99.8% uptime

The maps that track satellites you can set your home location in, either by using the set home button, or setting gps coordinates in the settings. Pretty interesting to watch the predicted hand-off and tracking of satellites the dish would see. This one has a estimated connection over time report you can run to show when your location may have outages yet.

https://starlink.sx/ Use the Home button to pin point your location on the map. It is a bit hard to read being gray on black, but zooms in pretty far.

Can your phones double as hotspots?
Yes, but only up to 40 gb each, been keeping them reserved for work, if our monthly hotspot runs out, which is going to happen this month.

I did order a nomad internet plan, but it’s for Verizon, so not sure we’ll have coverage here for it. We have 7 days to try it, and send it back otherwise, but it is supposed to be unlimited if it works.

Yes, but only up to 40 gb each, been keeping them reserved for work, if our monthly hotspot runs out, which is going to happen this month.

I did order a nomad internet plan, but it’s for Verizon, so not sure we’ll have coverage here for it. We have 7 days to try it, and send it back otherwise, but it is supposed to be unlimited if it works.
hmmm I may need this also since I got notified that there are delay with my order also.