SU - coping/Mitering corners

Jeff Horton

OK Super Dave. How to do you trim to pieces of molding at a 45? I know there is a simple way to do this. I am working a base piece. like a baseboard now. Just don't know how to trim them at 45.

Jedd

Hey Jeff
Not Dave course most everthing I know about SU is from Dave

but the way to do it if I read your post correctly is

1. draw a rectangle away from the molding big enough to slice thru the molding
2. rotate it 45 degrees
3. move it so it slices thru the molding
4 With rectangle still selected use Intersect with model (with mouse over the rectangle right click mouse and you will see the Intersect command)
5. Erase all the molding on the waste side of the rectangle and then the rectangle it self

How'd I do Dave?

Jeff, did Dan's instruction get you on the right road? I do it slightly differently than he outlined but his method works, too.

I draw the cutting plane--that's what you need and what he described--in place at the desired angle which I establish with Guides (formerly Construction Lines) drawn with the Protractor tool.

miter1.jpg

CuttingPlane.jpg

Think of the cutting plane as a saw blade. In fact, you can use the same trick for all sorts of other things that need to be cut. the "cutting plane" doesn't need to be a plane. If could be a cylinder (tilted and pushed into a board to create a pocket hole) or a box pushed into a done to create a slotted screw head.
head2.jpg

You can also create more complex cuts such as a real coped joint for a crown molding or the cope cut on the end of the door rails--go back to my recent door thread.

Here's another example. I made the cutouts for the back of the handles buy creating a profile of the cut and pushing it through the pull, intersecting with model and then deleting the waste. The profile was copied from the one I ised for a Follow Me operation to cut the outside of the longer stick.

DrawerPullConst.jpg

As always very good info.

I actually found another way just fooling around that worked for my need. I had created a baseboard type molding. I ran the two to the corners. I picked the end and then picked the inside corner and rotated it 45 degrees. Worked perfectly for this.

Your method has a lot of uses for sure Dave. Will take some time to play with that and learn it. I am really impressed with SU. Ia m building the cabinets from a SU plan and seeing the advantage of "Building" them in SU. I made a dumb mistake that if I had taken the time to get the details right in SU I wouldn't have made.

But of course I didn't understand it well enough to get that level a details a couple of weeks ago when I drew it.

Jeff
Who likes to run before he crawls sometimes.

Glad that rotating thing helped, Jeff. Sometimes it works but because the face after the miter is acutally larger, rotating the entire end face 45° doesn't work well.