Typing Strangeness

Bill Arnold

Staff member
For quite a while now, I've experienced a strange thing when typing a response to a thread. After typing a few words, the cursor jumps UP a line and the words continue. If I stop typing, erase the UP line, place my cursor at the beginning of my original line and press "Enter" a few times, I can continue the line I started with no problem. When I finish my response, I delete the blank lines and all is well. Here's what I'm seeing:

Screenshot 2015-10-13 15.32.39.jpg

I'm not seeing that issue. Never have in Chrome.

Seems really quiet strange. There really isn't anything in the forum software that would move the cursor around or create extra lines.

I have seen those little touch pads on laptops cause issues though when they are touched inadvertently while typing.

I hate them on general principle and generally use an external mouse even with my laptops. In that case, I shut off the touch pad so that kind of thing doesn't happen.

... I have seen those little touch pads on laptops cause issues though when they are touched inadvertently while typing.

I hate them on general principle and generally use an external mouse even with my laptops. In that case, I shut off the touch pad so that kind of thing doesn't happen.

I've had various issues with the touchpad on my laptop. That's why I've been using a wireless mouse and turned off the touchpad. I have a wireless mouse and keyboard on my desktop in my shop.

I've had various issues with the touchpad on my laptop. That's why I've been using a wireless mouse and turned off the touchpad. I have a wireless mouse and keyboard on my desktop in my shop.

Very strange. Nothing in the forum software that would cause that to happen. Try a different browser for a while and see if it still happens.

Not saying it's the Forum software, but I'm routinely on 3-4 other forums (cnc, etc) through the day and have not seen this issue elsewhere.

Very strange. Nothing in the forum software that would cause that to happen. Try a different browser for a while and see if it still happens.

OK, I'm typing this in Chrome to see what happens. So far, so good. But I'm running out of things to say over here because by now the issue had occurred in my Firefox browser. One thing I noticed when I started the response in Firefox this time is the cursor was two lines below the quote. As I started typing, the cursor dropped down a line, allowed typing what you see below, then jumped up on its own to finish the "ust..." line.

This is what I got using Firefox:

ust something that happens
OK, I can do that. It's not like it's a major problem, j

Only time I've ever seen any strange activity like that is if there was some kind of browser extension or toolbar or even perhaps some kind of browser hijack going on.

For example, if you get strange popups, or if there are other times things seem to behave strangely, its likely there is something going on with your browser.

The other thing could be if your browser/pc/network runs slowly, maybe it's not fully downloading all of the pages assets at once. So, maybe you are in the reply section and replying before everything is fully rendered, and then it renders and gets shifted on the screen.

Try a different browser for a while and see if it still happens.

:huh::dunno:

OK, I'm typing this in Chrome to see what happens. So far, so good. But I'm running out of things to say over here because by now the issue had occurred in my Firefox browser. One thing I noticed when I started the response in Firefox this time is the cursor was two lines below the quote. As I started typing, the cursor dropped down a line, allowed typing what you see below, then jumped up on its own to finish the "ust..." line.

This is what I got using Firefox:

ust something that happens
OK, I can do that. It's not like it's a major problem, j

I'm not exactly sure how the cursor is jumping around in Firefox. I'm using chrome and when I click reply, the cursor is positioned at the very top of the reply. I have to manually move the cursor to the bottom to start replying to the post.

I'm not exactly sure how the cursor is jumping around in Firefox. I'm using chrome and when I click reply, the cursor is positioned at the very top of the reply. I have to manually move the cursor to the bottom to start replying to the post.

Interesting. Posting in Firefox and I see exactly what you are seeing.

That's really annoying. :rofl: (firefox, that is)

Only time I've ever seen any strange activity like that is if there was some kind of browser extension or toolbar or even perhaps some kind of browser hijack going on.

For example, if you get strange popups, or if there are other times things seem to behave strangely, its likely there is something going on with your browser.

The other thing could be if your browser/pc/network runs slowly, maybe it's not fully downloading all of the pages assets at once. So, maybe you are in the reply section and replying before everything is fully rendered, and then it renders and gets shifted on the screen.

get bypassed. I waited about a minute to start typing this response and still got the jump up as you see.
I have most of the add-on type stuff disabled and popups

I left the original response as it happened but am back to Firefox. I'll try the same thing in Chrome.

Now I'm responding in Chrome to see what happens. So far it's no problem at all just like last time. So, Sherlock, I guess we gots us a Firefox type of thingie going on here from what I'm seeing now! I know, brilliant deduction Watson!

get bypassed. I waited about a minute to start typing this response and still got the jump up as you see.
I have most of the add-on type stuff disabled and popups

I left the original response as it happened but am back to Firefox. I'll try the same thing in Chrome.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1034880

So, Just restarted FF in Safe mode and it seems to be fine.

Gotta get back to work, but will dig a little deeper later. That link seems to describe the problem exactly, and I did not get it in safe mode.

I don't have a flash blocker enabled. I checked all of the add-ons and extensions on my Firefox - almost nothing is enabled. Now, as you see, I haven't had any jumping of lines. This is a reply to the thread, not a 'Reply with quote'. Is there any way that could affect Firefox? Seems crazy.