What the heck is a "murphy door"?

fred hargis

My S-I-L sent me a text (I guess millennials don't call anymore) asking if I had any plans for a "Murphy door". Dumb me doesn't even know that one is....which I think means I don't have any plans for one. But just is case it's called something else I though I'd ask here. Anyone care to enlighten me?

A Google search provides the answer. Home Depot even sells them and the hardware. It's kind-of a bookcase in a door, but many variations.

Charley
I did that search and found that answer...but didn't believe it (it is the innernet after all). I can't imagine he wants something like that (but what do I know?).

Well, as it turns out I did have a plan. Wood magazine published on in 2015, but they didn't call it a Murphy door.
Hahaha, we are a better resource for our family members than we thought. So, I guess it is like a Murphy Bed but a door. These "hidden" doors were quite trendy a few years ago. I don't have enough house to hide a room myself although there are rooms I'd like to hide ;-)

I was looking for the same thing. Thanks for the answers in this thread; it helped me figure out what this is. It’s like a door with a bookshelf in it. I probably will make something like this for my house, because it’s a nice way to organize space. I will do that if I have time. If not, I will just order them. Sometimes it’s easier to do that than to try to make it yourself. But I hope that my skills will be enough to make something like this. It’s always more pleasant to make something with your hands rather than buy it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought that was door through which Murphy, the old guy with the law, enters. I think I have a Murphy door in my shop although it seems to be hidden. If I could find it I would nail it shut. :D
I think Murphy and Parkinson's laws both have doors into my shop, given a project, it usually does take the entire time allotted, thanks to Murphy. ;)

I was looking for the same thing. Thanks for the answers in this thread; it helped me figure out what this is. It’s like a door with a bookshelf in it.
Hey Jack, welcome to the forum, tell us what kind of wood working do you do, Turning, Hand tool, fine furniture we have a lot of good information and we welcome all who want to contribute.