WIX

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
Looking for help - Assume I know nothing.

My website has needed an update/overhaul for some years. I recently decided to begin the daunting task of redesign. I visited my hosting service (inMotion) and quickly remembered why I haven't taken this on sooner. I find the interface intimidating and non-intuitive. For a dummy lie me, near impossible to get it to where I think it looks good.

I went looking for an easier, more neophyte centered, design site. About everywhere I looked I saw recommendations for WIX. I spent a few hours there and was able to put together the beginnings of, what I think, is an attractive and professional looking site. It was easier for me to understand and the templates were more in line with what I want.

Now, before I get too far into this designing thing, I have a few questions. There is an option to publish and 'connect to your domain'. What does this mean? Will it replace my current site? Don't think so. What will happen with my current hosting service? Will I wind up with problems, two hosting bills to pay? To quote a rather famous sweathog, "I'm so confused".

Is anyone familiar with WIX and what will happen when I start pushing buttons?

then later.....

OK - went back and did a little more detective work. In order to link it to my existing domain I need to upgrade from the 'free' plan to a premium plan, which is, in essence, hosting. Lowest price, but suitable to my needs, is $16 a month. Reasonable.

May I assume that if I finish my website and upgrade to their premium plan and then publish that this new hosting service will supersede my old one? My existing contract for hosting expires in September (might take me that long to finish the new one :rofl: ) and, IIRC, the cost is similar.

Last edited:
Looking for help - Assume I know nothing.

My website has needed an update/overhaul for some years. I recently decided to begin the daunting task of redesign. I visited my hosting service (inMotion) and quickly remembered why I haven't taken this on sooner. I find the interface intimidating and non-intuitive. For a dummy lie me, near impossible to get it to where I think it looks good.

I went looking for an easier, more neophyte centered, design site. About everywhere I looked I saw recommendations for WIX. I spent a few hours there and was able to put together the beginnings of, what I think, is an attractive and professional looking site. It was easier for me to understand and the templates were more in line with what I want.

Now, before I get too far into this designing thing, I have a few questions. There is an option to publish and 'connect to your domain'. What does this mean? Will it replace my current site? Don't think so. What will happen with my current hosting service? Will I wind up with problems, two hosting bills to pay? To quote a rather famous sweathog, "I'm so confused".

Is anyone familiar with WIX and what will happen when I start pushing buttons?
It sounds like they are wanting to transfer your domain to them. Do you use inmotion for email and other services? Are you planning to leave some hosting on inmotion?

It sounds like they are wanting to transfer your domain to them. Do you use inmotion for email and other services? Are you planning to leave some hosting on inmotion?
Inmotion hosts my site, GoDaddy is where my domain resides. I have a forwarding rule set up so all mail coming to rennie@wrworkshop.com forwards to my personal gmail address.

I imagine there is an advantage to having the domain and hosting with the same provider. Been reading a bit on how to make that change, seems there are several steps. a little confusing.

There's no need to transfer as long as you point the DNS Servers to the place you're hosting, or point the WWW and wrworkshop.com Cnames to their web servers so that wrworshop.com goes to wix. It gets a bit more confusing when you start pointing to multiple hosting services. If all Wix is asking is to point to their DNS Servers you should be able to make that change easily, but make sure you can still point the mail MX records to your gmail on their site. As far as moving the domain, I'd mostly look at what they are charging for domain renewals and where the price is the cheapest.

I see you're using wordpress currently. It can be a bit daunting to get things configured just the way you want them or find the right template. I run it on most of my sites as well, but haven't updated them in a while due to that reason.

I was using Bravesites, but started having malfunctions with them. I shopped around and as Rennie said, WIX stands out in the reviews. So, I went with WIX as well. I had been using the domain Daveswoodart.com as my main domain for years. Transferred it to WIX. They said all was well, all had been associated to the new site, etc. So, I cancelled everything with Bravesites. OOPPSSS. All of a sudden my domain was messed up. Don't really know if this was on purpose, or an accident. Anyway, I was unable to retrieve the dns numbers and all that so had to buy a new main domain through WIX. Everything has been fine since, but just letting you know this to be cautious.

I was using Bravesites, but started having malfunctions with them. I shopped around and as Rennie said, WIX stands out in the reviews. So, I went with WIX as well. I had been using the domain Daveswoodart.com as my main domain for years. Transferred it to WIX. They said all was well, all had been associated to the new site, etc. So, I cancelled everything with Bravesites. OOPPSSS. All of a sudden my domain was messed up. Don't really know if this was on purpose, or an accident. Anyway, I was unable to retrieve the dns numbers and all that so had to buy a new main domain through WIX. Everything has been fine since, but just letting you know this to be cautious.
Did you get the old domain through Bravesites? Might be that you just need to transfer it to WIX or another registrar.

Yes, I got it through Bravesites. I did transfer it to WIX. The transfer showed good for a couple of days and then something malfunctioned. But, dumbly I had already killed everything with Brave. OH, well. Lesson learned. Wait before you burn or blow up bridges.