Box Swap (closed)

Ned Bulken

OK,

Most of us have seen Pen swaps... I'd like to suggest a Box swap... Once we get some folks expressing interest, we'll start a Box on its way... Include either a smallish Box say 6" in any one dimension maximum, some box-hardware (hinges, hasp, etc...) pre-cut wood or something involved in the making of a box. And no, spinny guys, this is for flatwork, (unless you're going to turn a pin for a )then take what you want from the box once it reaches you.
THey can be finished or in progress.

Anyone up for the challenge?

Now theres an idea!!

one thing i can see that may hinder this though, what about the high cost of shipping? this could be sent as agift to a young woodworker that may not have acess to some purty wood.. and could be a intersting thread and story.. i know they do this with quilt blocks... with the ladies from all over..

What about just limiting the materials to a USPS flat rate box? Can't you put just about anything in one of those for a flat rate? :huh:

Great idea by the way Ned...that will get some wworking threads started in no time! :D

Sign me up

If this gets flying, count me in. I love making small boxes and it's been a while since I've done any of them...

one thing i can see that may hinder this though, what about the high cost of shipping? this could be sent as agift to a young woodworker that may not have acess to some purty wood.. and could be a intersting thread and story.. i know they do this with quilt blocks... with the ladies from all over..
My mother used to do fabric swaps, and I just saw a pen swap over on lumberjocks, thought we could do something similar here.
What about just limiting the materials to a USPS flat rate box? Can't you put just about anything in one of those for a flat rate? :huh:

Great idea by the way Ned...that will get some wworking threads started in no time! :D

Thanks Jeff, you saw through my plan... and yes flat rate would be about the size I was thinking of. we'll work out the details.
If this gets flying, count me in. I love making small boxes and it's been a while since I've done any of them...

We could do a 'silent santa' thing, where we trade boxes one on one with someone else if shipping is a problem, and that way we could use the flat rate box, if it will fit in one of those, it counts.

Thoughts and input greatly appreciated!

I've never participated in a pen swap or box swap. You do funny things out there!:D

Please bear with me and be so kind to explain me how it works.
As far as I understand the deal is making a box and swaping it with someone.

What I do not understand is if it has to be finished or in pieces.

Then how do I know with whom I swap mine.

Shipping can be a bit expensive both for me and for the one that wants to swap his with me but I'll take the challenge.

Shouldn't there be some sort or instructions or rules so that everybody know how to proceed?

And last but not least if it hasn't been made clear yet, please count me in!

I've never participated in a pen swap or box swap. You do funny things out there!:D

Please bear with me and be so kind to explain me how it works.
As far as I understand the deal is making a box and swaping it with someone.

What I do not understand is if it has to be finished or in pieces.

Then how do I know with whom I swap mine.

Shipping can be a bit expensive both for me and for the one that wants to swap his with me but I'll take the challenge.

Shouldn't there be some sort or instructions or rules so that everybody know how to proceed?

And last but not least if it hasn't been made clear yet, please count me in!
Toni, each person participating agrees to swap a box or a set of materials for a box, or something related to box making... with someone else. Pen swaps use small enough materials that they use one large box and everyone contributes something, takes something different out and then ships it to the next person. Boxes may be too big for that, so we may just randomly swap between whomever wants to participate. Does that make sense? and Yep, shipping costs, especially overseas are something to consider as well, but that's why it is special, so to speak.

once you get the particulars set i will donat the parts for one to help the cause! besides i have to much walnut now anyway:)

hmmmm.... too much walnut... nope I agree with Jeff, can't have too much walnut.

YOUR CAN NEVER HAVE TO MUCH WALNUT!!
Or cherry for that matter.

What are you thinking?? :eek:

:D
I have 'barely enough' cherry at the moment, I was thinking of a nice cherry and maple, or cherry and butternut, or cherry and cherry box...

Toni, each person participating agrees to swap a box or a set of materials for a box, or something related to box making... with someone else. Pen swaps use small enough materials that they use one large box and everyone contributes something, takes something different out and then ships it to the next person. Boxes may be too big for that, so we may just randomly swap between whomever wants to participate. Does that make sense? and Yep, shipping costs, especially overseas are something to consider as well, but that's why it is special, so to speak.
I'm a bit dense, so I still do not see the entire picture - I'm sure I'll catch on. Count me in.

Folks,
here's what I was thinking...

make a box, send that box to someone, who gets the first box, keeps it, makes another sends that to someone, and so on... and eventually the original sender receives a box. No design limits,other than these are flatwork or bandsawn, or scroll sawn boxes, not turned boxes... though we could do a turned box swap as well.

For those who may not want to Make the box, I added materials or hardware as an option, so they could participate. Ideally I thought that we'd all get a small project done and generate some woodworking posts , plus have some fun with things.

So everyone who participates makes and receives one box, or one set of supplies, for a box.

make sense?

I'm a bit dense, so I still do not see the entire picture - I'm sure I'll catch on. Count me in.

I've been accused of being dense also at times... ;)

But I'm guessing it works something like this:

Rennie mails a box to Ned, Ned mails a box to Larry, Larry mails a box to Nancy, Nancy mails a box to.... etc etc.... Someone mails a box to Rennie.

(At least that is what I'm understanding from this.)

...art

ps: I'm probably passing on this round due to (a) too busy at home and (b) expectations of hassles and high costs with shipping cross border.

pps: never mind, Ned wrote a response same time I was, but hit "send" first...

Last edited:
So a Flat Rate box that is is size of a shoe box (11" x 8.5" x 5.5") would be $9.80 to ship around the country.

My vote would be fore folks to make a box as opposed to shipping parts or things, but that's just me.

Not sure what international shipping rates are, but does that sound reasonable to folks?

May I assume that Ned will come up with the guidelines, ship-to names and the order that will be followed? Or will we just have a list and you pick who's next.

(BTW - Bret - Sounds reasonable to me! Of course, you could always put something in the box.)

OK I am pondering doing this, but the rookie I am, I'm courious about boxes. Does anyone have some pics of some they have made in the past they would share?

Tom

I just have to do this......:rofl:...sorry Tom:D

180px-Box.agr.jpg

I'm going to chime in here and clarify how most pen swaps work. We set a deadline for participation, and the ones who want to play add their names to the thread. At the deadline, the organizer (Ned!) just draws names at random to swap--it can be either a direct swap (two people swap with each other) or otherwise - so everyone gets a box and everyone makes a box to send. Then there is a desired deadline for the swaps, and the makers and the recipients post pictures of their boxes in a picture thread for all to see.

I've participated in probably a dozen pen swaps on various forums, and they really are fun, so this one might be fun too. I can't guarantee that I'll be able to make a decent box, but it might give me a chance to use my Matchmaker again and make something different.