Outlook Users (question)

Aaron Beaver

Can you set up some type of link/folder/contact list that you can click that will email all people associated with that link.

Example: Say 4 people are working on the same job, so any emails pertaining to that job should be sent to ALL 4 people. Is there a way to set a link or something maybe with the Job # so you can just click it and their names will automatically be filled in, so everyone gets all emails all the time.

I am guessing if you can do that, you can add the same person to more than one contact folder since they are involved in multiple jobs?

Thanks

Yes, you make a group.

Go to;

Tools>Address book Click address book

When the new window open, you will see a card icon in the upper left corner, it says "New".

Click on that, and you will get a choice "New Contact" or "New Group".

Click, on "New Group"

You then can name the Group to whatever you want, and choose people to be in the group.

next time you want to send an e-mail to this group, select it from the address book like you would normally select a single person.

I'm using Outlook 2000, so the newer versions might be some what different :dunno:

Cheers!

Yep. What Stu said. It's easy.
Just be sure all on the group want their addresses shown to the rest. If they don't, use the blind copy (BCC) to hide them. It is both a security and courtesy feature.

In newer versions you choose "NEW" then "DISTRIBUTION LIST". You'll be taken to a window where you simply choose the people to be on the list, name the list, then save it. Next time you want to email the group just start typing the group name in the "TO" field and it should appear.

Thanks guys, now next questions.

Can you make this "group" or distribution list so anyone in the office can see it so each person doesn't have to make their own. Can you do it on the server and everyone will see it?

Can you make this "group" or distribution list so anyone in the office can see it so each person doesn't have to make their own. Can you do it on the server and everyone will see it?
Two ways to do this. Your system administrator should be able to put the group in the company wide (global) address list. If there are only a few people who need it you might be able to attach the list as an "Item" and email it to them. I must admit, the first option is the one I'd go after as I have had limited success with the later.:dunno:

Another way is to assign a catagory to each entry in your contact list, for example (company, bowl customer, new prospect...). Open the contact list select the category or more than one and then from the Action menu select Create... New Message to Contact. When the new message opens move the names from the To: list to the Bcc: list. Customers get very upset if you share their email address on a public list, on the To: line either put your name or undisclosed (which is an alias for you). With many email providers you can't sent to more then 50 people and some even less.

The better way to do this is with a mail merge, then you can personalize the message and avoid ending up in the SPAM folder.

There is a free tutorial on mail merge that ships with Outlook.

to whom ever,, in outlook express, how do you get rid of the whole page of spam? mac based.. i have to click each one to delete it,, and on the day after a wknd its around 8 pages worth:eek: would be great to filter it out but am not sure thats an option..this setup threw a server

Aaron,

You can have your Outlook administrator setup a group that has is own email address and it will go to whoever is assign to it. We use this all the time at work.

Randy

to whom ever,, in outlook express, how do you get rid of the whole page of spam? mac based.. i have to click each one to delete it,, and on the day after a wknd its around 8 pages worth:eek: would be great to filter it out but am not sure thats an option..this setup threw a server

Larry,

I havent used Express for a while, but cant you assign the email as SPAM and they go to their own special folder? Then you can delete them all.

Or, setup a rule that moves them to a folder that you could delete from there.

Randy