pricing??

I think larrys situation is a bit touchier than most, he is dealing with his wifes friend.
Larry probably likes to eat, and probably likes peace, so Im not 100% sure if he can deal with this as he would with any retailer.

regardless, he is certainly entitled to be compensated fairly for his work.(what he considers fair)

They are both in business. I believe straight talk will work.

...She also simply marks up 100%. (some call it 50% profit on sales)
But, for a product like the quilt things, that probably wouldn't work.

Don't be so sure, Frank. The quilters I know probably spend way more on quilting supplies, templates, accessories, etc. than most of us woodworkers ever spend.

Mt wife has over $15,000 worth of just machines. You could outfit an entire woodshop for less than that!

She also buys books, templates, guides, patterns, rulers, and other accessories, as well as a LOT of cloth and thread. She even has a subscription for a monthly 'fat quarter' collection. A relatively simple plexiglass ruler/stitching guide can easily cost $25~30.

There's a LOT of money being spent on that hobby. Within 25 miles of here, there are at least half a dozen shops that are dedicated wholly to quilting supplies.

If Larry's product is any good at all, I'm sure it'll sell for a good price.

Were it me, I'd either go for a consignment agreement, or sell direct to dealers (wholesale distribution).

You told her your price. If she needs to boost it 30%, that is her biz. Heck, she can boost it higher and then sell them at a discount for all you care but you stated "your" price.

well we found another shop that will give me my price, and is only gonna charge the buyers another 15 so they are getting a deal and i am gettin what i deserve.. the better half, is on her way to retrieve them from the first place that didnt stand up to the table till after i left, and hasnt called back with a reply to our counter offer. so will be intersting to see what shakes out here.. all i know is that i want this much and they can be had for less than the ones on the net. allen this isnt high fashin furniture just a useable item that i made for the hobby. anyone can make these. but like jim said its amazing at what them hens pay for some things:)

You (Larry) claim this ain't fine furniture. Well, I have seen pics of your work and I know if it made it out the door destined for a place for sale, it is of HIGH QUALITY!!! Good on you and good on the second shop, they know quality when they see it! Hope they sell as many as you want to make!!
Regardless the hobby, quality will win out in the end.

well the first lady isnt pleased and had tears i quess, and they are headed for the next store.. as for giving the first lady one well that may happen but i cant see given away stuff when they are tryun to get me for the pricing differnce.. maybe she can have one for tellun others of where they came from..shucks i would give her the same as the other lady is gettun to be fair but i cant see lettun her get more. then its not fair to the second lady...business is the pits sometimes. and i am just tryun to make dollar and let others get a fair price for fair product..

well the first lady isnt pleased and had tears i quess, and they are headed for the next store.. as for giving the first lady one well that may happen but i cant see given away stuff when they are tryun to get me for the pricing differnce.. maybe she can have one for tellun others of where they came from..shucks i would give her the same as the other lady is gettun to be fair but i cant see lettun her get more. then its not fair to the second lady...business is the pits sometimes. and i am just tryun to make dollar and let others get a fair price for fair product..
I still think you did the right thing by taking your products to the second store. You told the first lady your price, and it sounds like she wasn't willing to pay it. If she's a real friend, she'll get over the tears, and she and LOYL can get back to being quilting buddies. ;)

Is there really an answer to the question?

I did handyman work for a couple of years and I know I can make money fixin trim - fixin a deck - installiing a new window - fixing a door knob - and stuff like that.

People will pay $30 - $90 per hour for that stuff.

Signs sell pretty good - maybe $20 - $50 per hour.

Engravings - like name signs - ehh - some - but not a lot.

Small woodworking things - seems like there are people out there that have their hand deep into your pockets.

I can make some on branding irons - as long I don't have to price match too much.

Still - nothing seems to just make money out of the shop - cept handyman work.

Ohh - I have not yet tried too much on the 3-d carvings yet.

Comission - at 30% doesn't excite me.

Soooo how does stuff get priced? I dunno? Been thinking about it for years and have never heard a good answer. Lots of good theroies - but nothing concrete.

Still waitin for the answer. - and hoping.

Don't be so sure, Frank. The quilters I know probably spend way more on quilting supplies, templates, accessories, etc. than most of us woodworkers ever spend.

Mt wife has over $15,000 worth of just machines. You could outfit an entire woodshop for less than that!

She also buys books, templates, guides, patterns, rulers, and other accessories, as well as a LOT of cloth and thread. She even has a subscription for a monthly 'fat quarter' collection. A relatively simple plexiglass ruler/stitching guide can easily cost $25~30.

There's a LOT of money being spent on that hobby. Within 25 miles of here, there are at least half a dozen shops that are dedicated wholly to quilting supplies.

If Larry's product is any good at all, I'm sure it'll sell for a good price.

Were it me, I'd either go for a consignment agreement, or sell direct to dealers (wholesale distribution).

Your points are good. Pricing and selling to stores, or doing consignments, are probably subjects with no definitive end.
Things like quilt racks are large and a store, typically, would only have a few on hand at a time. But smaller objects tend to vanish. Ye can bet yer bippie the store owner is not going to eat the loss. I have been on both ends. A store owner is focused on controlling costs. A crafter is expert at making his stuff. When there is an unexplained shortage, it's a no contest issue. Store owner wins, crafter loses.
Quilt racks can be purchased from many sources (look online), customers have an understanding of what a rack should cost.
If Larry has an outlet where he can make a fair profit, he should go for it. I'm sure as soon as Larry's friend steps into her store she morphs instantly from 'friend' into 'Super Businesswoman' and thinks like one. Fuggit friendship. Go for the money.

Although it seems that we are hijacking Larry's thread, I'd like to introduce another variable on the equation.

As it has been said, one can purchase a quilt rack at different prices and of different qualities; but ... What can make anyone pay more for a specific quilt rack?

Being it hand (and well) made, but I guess that there are quite a few amateur woodworkers trying to get some extra money by selling them while some others try to make a living out of it so...:dunno:

Being made out of expensive wood. That may rise the price but not so much, after all it takes the same amount of time making it out of pine and out of walnut and it is the man/hour price what makes the difference, and it may be a deterrent on certain cases, one can think "after all is a quilt rack".

What is left then? I have to say DESING, that quilt must outstand the rest that are in the shop. It has to catch the potential buyer's eye. The buyer must think WOW! my quilts are going to look twice as much beatiful on that rack, I will be the envy of all my quilt mates.!

When objective reasons are equally accomplished by most products what makes buy one instead of another is aesthetics, or so I think.

My two cents..:)

if it were me,,,, first i look at quality, then astetics then price and the price can be less of a deterent than the other two..if both have good quality and one looks better its gets the nod unless its outlandish high.