Question

David, what are the specifics? To what thread are you referring? What rules were broken? We've had arguments and differences of opinions on this forum since the beginning and I'm not in the mood to hunt down whatever thread you're talking about. In most cases the disputes we've had here have been settled by the group of elected Mods, and believe it or not, sometimes the biggest debates on the forum go on among the Mods when it comes to interpreting the rules. Anytime you have a crowd of people, there will be some who agree and some who disagree. The membership and staff here are no different.

If you've come here seeking real information, then offer up some specifics. If you've just come here to rant and offer generalities, then cool, you've done just that.

Isn't it great that there are so many places to visit on the web, that you only have to go where you want to? Its better than the radio, if you don't like what's on the radio, you change the channel until you run out of channels. On the web you'd have to run out of a lot of channels to not find anywhere to land.

If you've come here seeking real information, then offer up some specifics. If you've just come here to rant and offer generalities, then cool, you've done just that.
I remember the thread in question... and I thought it curious as well. But I'll also say that if I were on the moderation team, I would've suggested locking/moving/deleting this here thread with no responses. That's a proven tactic to quash trouble. ;)

David it is very sad that you feel a single member here has the kind of power you suggest. You really need to read the CoC and then participate in the woodworking part of the forum and you will realize over time that no single person runs this show. Hard to believe but very true unless you wish to believe in conspiracy theories but then we could really get wild with stories like there are a bunch of guys from the forum that are actually at home but trying to tell us they are on a tour right now.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

We just had moderator elections in case you dont know. Did you bother to put yourself up for nomination? Did you vote? If you had you might have been elected a mod. Then you would find out that Stuart dont have any special powers as you suggest.

I think the branch you hanging from is so thin that the ground will soon be approaching best get out the tree.:)

All the best if you move on, and i am happy if you stay. But a cheery positive outlook is a way better way to get on in life. :):thumb:

Let bygones be bygones before you clutter your life with biterness.:):wave:

Folks,

I also do not really want to dredge up and rehash an old issue.

Instead, I would like to take this opportunity to ask all of the members who read this to think about a few aspects of our forum...

First, our rules state that the moderators need to discuss a situation before taking action. This takes time, and the members here need to remember that and give the mods the time they need to make the decision.

Second, we have members from all over the world, in many timezones. We all have different lives, jobs, and different work/personal schedules that affect when we are on the forum. This also applies to the mods, which again means it can take time for things to get done.

...art

It boggles my mind as to why anyone would dredge up something after so long. Ridiculous.

Happens every day Bob.... every time there is an issue that is not resolved... or when people would like to know how it was resolved
Happens every (real world) election.... think about it
it's not really so mind boggling after all

:wave: Hi David... hows things down there in Ogdon, Indiana?

I intentionally made my first post in several months like a bull charging through a china shop.

And this somehow struck you as a good idea? A positive contribution? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm struggling to remember the last time I saw the welcoming hand of peace being extended to a deliberately charging bull.

What would you have done if people had returned your aggressive gesture in kind? Or were you so certain that the people in the china shop were civilized that you didn't need to worry?

Please let me know your thoughts,

Thanks,

Bill

And this somehow struck you as a good idea? A positive contribution? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm struggling to remember the last time I saw the welcoming hand of peace being extended to a deliberately charging bull.

What would you have done if people had returned your aggressive gesture in kind? Or were you so certain that the people in the china shop were civilized that you didn't need to worry?

Please let me know your thoughts,

Thanks,

Bill

Bill,
I've been wondering the same thing since he posted his message..:huh:

Tod,
I'm not mad.

I intentionally made my first post in several months like a bull charging through a china shop. I wanted to see what this place was like now before I jumped back in. The first few posts came from people that apparently wished I had stayed away. There have been enough other posts to make me have second thoughts about just disappearing again. All of you should be very grateful to have Larry Merlou on this forum. Rob Keeble deserves to be mentioned also. Kalea Thoits too. As is the case in any forum, I can't say as much for others.
I drastically changed my first 2 posts so that hopefully the mods won't feel the need to delete the thread. :type:

Kalea,
A lot has happened in the past year, but that story is for another day. :wave:(It's "Odon" by the way; no biggie)

Since I don't really know you or remember your previous posts from months back, I wouldn't say I "wished [you] had stayed away", even though you have implied that I did. Quite honestly, there are so many folks here who come and go and come back that I hadn't noticed you were missing in the first place.

As I alluded to in my first post, just because the members here don't always see "something" done when a questionable post is made, it doesn't mean that the Mods ignored it. In fact it's quite likely there are two or three pages of discussion among the Mods, and quite often their opinions on how something should be handled are at complete opposite sides of the spectrum. This is especially true with the trinity of politics, religion, and acceptable language. Everyone has differing levels of tolerance on those three hot buttons, and the Mods are no different. The particular thread you mentioned generated about 6 pages of backstage discussion, and rest assured, it was not just everyone agreeing with everyone else. (This thread today has added another 4 so far.) And there have been a number of decisions over the years made by the majority of Mods that some of the other Mods did not agree with, but went along with since the majority had felt differently. I know personally that some of the decisions made have not been what I would have decided, but I agreed to accept the majority decision like everyone else. (And for the record, as an Admin I don't have a vote in these decisions. I'm just an observer and implementer.) Personally, I think differences of opinion like this are healthy, much as they are in any other decision-making body.

The bottom line is that not all the decisions made by the Mods here will sit well with every single member, or even with every single Mod. We've got things set up for those decisions to be disputed and discussed further (as long as the discussion is done in a civil manner). Even the rules that govern this place can be changed if the majority of voting members can be convinced the change is beneficial. I'm not saying what happened back in November was right or wrong -- it's not my place to make those decisions. Although your initial post in this thread was intentionally inflammatory, it has renewed some of the discussion about that particular incident. Perhaps if you (or others) had been a bit more persistent back when it happened, the decisions made by the Mods back then would have been different, or perhaps the discussions happening today would have happened months ago, leading to a different outcome. It's all hindsight now, but something to think about when touchy issues like this come up in the future. ;)

Many of you will remember the disruption that Stuart Ablett caused a few months ago. He was allowed to say what he wanted while other members were censored which caused some to leave the forum. It wasn't really even my fight, but I have a very strong sense of right and wrong and I jumped in to help the people being wronged. I attempted to settle the dispute by e-mail at the request of a moderator, but was ignored by Stuart, which told me that he knew he would be allowed to do whatever he wanted.

My question; Is Stuart Ablett still allowed to break the rules here at the expense of others?

David, I believe Stu apologized for his actions and things are quite peachy. As I understand it, some folks are still a ticked about it, but haven't heard much about it until now come to think of it. :huh:

David, I believe Stu apologized for his actions and things are quite peachy. As I understand it, some folks are still a ticked about it, but haven't heard much about it until now come to think of it. :huh:

That's because the mods discuss it to death than take no action. Except to send a PM or lock a thread.:thumb:
If we talk about this long enough it will go away too.

That's because the mods discuss it to death than take no action. Except to send a PM or lock a thread.:thumb:
If we talk about this long enough it will go away too.

one of the major reasons we all got together and started fww was to avoid having people/posts or threads just go "poof"........
granted it makes for slow going in most instances of politics-n-religion just 'cause everyones idea of them is different.
even permanantly locking a thread is to only be done after a vote..

but in the end the whole shebang is able to be modified and changed to suit the majority of those who vote.
personally i'd rather see more self control than moderator control but given the demographics of the internet some type of moderation seems to be necessarry.