Lessons From Your Dad?

Having the great parents I was fortunate to have listing only three things is hard. But he did instill in me three things that I have packed around all my life that have been a great benefit

Good work ethic
be honest
respect others and their property

please let me slip in one more, love for the great outdoors.

There's so many, but Have a good work ethic, You can do anything by putting your mind to it, and take time for family and friends.

We have some life long friends that I grew up with that built a house just down the road from us when I was a toddler. It was years later when I finally heard the story of how my parents got to be good friends with them. Their house was mostly framed and Bill was doing much of the work himself in the evenings and weekends. One evening after working all day my dad had noticed him working on the roof shingling. My dad stopped, grabbed his tool belt, climbed up on the roof, and not saying a word just started helping him shingle. The two worked and finished up the roof that evening before the rains came the next day. Dad would stop in when he could to help out and the rest was history.

Years later when I was working on my first house. Bill had retired and gotten degrees in Mechanical engineering and HVAC. I had asked him for help in doing my central air. He said absolutely, and that is when he told me the story.

harshest woodworking critic - when i test fitted the couch, i asked for his opinion, he walked around it twice, then said, it's ok. from him that was high praise.
how to say you're proud of something without saying it - when i was building my sailboat in the garage, i found out later, that even though he gave critical advice, he was also giving his friends tours of my progress.
how to be an old smoothie - talking with some older ladies who were admiring the grandfather clock i entered at the fair, and taking credit for it, while i was back at the car, getting the other table.

in other words, if you're going to do it, do it right. if you make a mistake, cussin' it out may help, but you still have to remake the part, and finally, keep at it until it's right.

I learned so much from my dad that it'd be hard to single out three things. He had very wide interest and was knowledgeable in a lot of things. I'm amazed to this day that he knew so much.

Mike

I'll stay with:

1. How to coil a rope/line/cord; I still do it as shown and share the skill.
2. Mind you manners; there's always time to open a door, give up a seat or say think you.
3. If someone is picking on you, haul off and hit them so hard their cousin in the next state feels it. Its the only thing those sort of people understand so you might as well get it over with.

I have used number three, although not literally, throughout my career development. It has served me well
;).

Having just lost my dad a couple of months ago, I have avidly read all your responses, often nodding and smiling when a particular answer would pop up. Thanks for all these great memories. I will add

milking a cow
setting a straight fence
helping your neighbors

thanks Pop