I have always said don't use the internet to conduct business.

That information could have been collected from non-Internet as well. According to my CC compnay, when my card was stolen, it happened in a restaraunt. They made an electronic copy in the back room.

That information could have been collected from non-Internet as well. According to my CC compnay, when my card was stolen, it happened in a restaraunt. They made an electronic copy in the back room.
I agree with Matt...this is not necessarily the result of people doing business on the Internet. Info like a mother's maiden name or SS number is not the type of thing that one gets asked during a typical Internet sales transaction. This info was hacked from some other source, most likely a bank or government office. I'd bet it has nothing to do with the people listed having done business over the 'Net.

The CC companies will not tell you this, but the number one place that card numbers get ripped off is restaurants, or at least that was the conclusion of an undercover TV crew's report that they conducted here in Tokyo for 3 months.

Think about it, when you go to the gas station and pay with a CC, the clerk swipes the card in front of you, and hands you your card back, same in the clothing store, Department store etc, but at a restaurants, you give them the card, they walked away from your table, go behind a counter and swipe your card, out of site. A card info catching device is about the size of a pack of smokes, it runs on batteries, and can hold up to 100 cards worth of info on it.

Nothing against restaurants or the staff there, the vast majority of them are honest hardworking (VERY hard working, I bussed tables and worked as a waiter for a few years while at Uni) people, but, especially at peak times, when they are swamped, most restaurants will take on staff, with little or no background checks, I mean, the person is being hired for as a waiter, no need to call the FBI :rolleyes:

Even in a good restaurant, where only the head staff, salaried employees process the cards, the waiters can still easily get the card info. While the waiter is walking back to counter to give the card to the head waiter etc. to be processed, they have the card catcher device in their hand, under their tray, the swipe the card, and then had it to the head waiter, at some point they put the card catcher back in their pocket.

it takes at least a couple of weeks for the theft of the info to show up, so the card thief works for a week or two at the restaurant, then quits. They use a phony name and address, and they get paid cash each night.

I'd trust the internet, dealing with a known company, a lot further than I'd trust some part-time employee at a restaurant.

Just my two yens worth! CASH!! :D

I pay cash at restaurants, everywhere else, just about, I use my CC.

Last edited:
Stu, that is pretty much exactly what they say happened to mine. And the bank and I both think it happend in a national chain restaraunt (one where they grow "Olive"s in a "Garden" ;) )

Stu, that is pretty much exactly what they say happened to mine. And the bank and I both think it happend in a national chain restaraunt (one where they grow "Olive"s in a "Garden" ;) )
So...Outback Steakhouse, huh? Or was it Red Lobster? :D

Years ago I was having a beer and talking to a guy who ran a car wash, and he strongly recommended not using credit or debit cards at car washes, since apparently card info theft is pretty common at those places, too. (At least in Los Angeles.)

CC's stolen.

We had anonymous transactions popping up in New York. One for gas and as far as we know one in Walmart. We don't live in New York so we contacted the bank and sure enough someone had our number.

My wife looks at me and says "What did you buy now?" thinking I purchased stuff and someone stole the number, but when the bank ran the numbers, it was her card that was heisted.

As far as we can figure, it was taken when we ordered pizza for dinner one night.

We did get our money back, however. The bank was VERY helpful.

I have a real good remedy for all of that mess.
I tore up my credit cards 30 years ago. :thumb:

If I can't pay for it, put it on lay away or work out a deal with the business then I simply can't afford it. If I can't afford it, I can't have it! :eek:

I haven't had to do without too much and I sure didn't make much money in the military. The idea of "I have to have a credit card for emergencies" is pure balderdash. I have been in many, many emergency situtations since I tore up my cards. I'm still here.

Yeah Don, we work on cash mostly too, but, when we make a large purchase, say a new video camera, for example, I like to use the card, why?

Well, we get points on the card, which can go towards them airling tickets (send our two daughters to Canada every year is NOT cheap) and we get insurance, on the item purchased, if I drop the video camera and break it, I get a new one.

But yeah, cash works good.

We pay off our CC every month, never run a balance.

Cheers!

Yeah Don, we work on cash mostly too, but, when we make a large purchase, say a new video camera, for example, I like to use the card, why?

I like using mine for stuff like that because if something is wrong or I'm just not happy with it, the return process is much easier. An my theory is that the store will be more willing to take care of it with the bank backing me up.

Most of the volume on my CC is work expenses. The year before mine got stolen I had about $12K in expenses. Glad I didn't have to front the cash for all that. Now we have company-issued Amex cards but we are still responsible for paying the bill.

I have a real good remedy for all of that mess.
I tore up my credit cards 30 years ago. :thumb:

If I can't pay for it, put it on lay away or work out a deal with the business then I simply can't afford it. If I can't afford it, I can't have it! :eek:

I haven't had to do without too much and I sure didn't make much money in the military. The idea of "I have to have a credit card for emergencies" is pure balderdash. I have been in many, many emergency situtations since I tore up my cards. I'm still here.

Don,

So ... you tore up your cards just after I was born. I sure hope that was a coincidence!! :rofl:

If you're anything like me, you'll be pleased to know that your philosphy is carried through by at least two more people in this world. My wife and I don't do loans, credit, etc. If the word "Interest" is ever involved with our money, it's interest coming OUR way, not leaving.

I am all in favor of the "Can't pay for it now, can't have it" philosophy. It's the only one that absolutely guarantees I don't dig myself a hole with a teaspoon.

Here's to anti-frivolous behavior!! :thumb:

You folks all make good points. I am in the middle of the road. We use the credit card as a form of delayed payment in that we pay off our card every month. I heard that CC companies call people like me 'dead beats' because they don't make any money on me. My card doesn't have an annual fee, and I pay it off each month, they don't make anything off me.

I have had one problem with a CC, and that was that some one charged $4800 for photographic supplies at Eastman Kodak, back in 1998(?) I called Kodak and explained the problem to them. They searched a little and told me that they thought they knew what happened and to call the CC company. I called the CC company and initiated a dispute on the charge, and at the same time cancel my current card and send me a new one. In about 30 days, the charge was gone. They do not charge interest on disputed charges while under investigation. Since then I haven't had a problem. :thumb:

I can't count high enough to know how many different companies I have bought from on the Internet. Of course, something could happen today, but who knows. I do know that I can dispute any charge to my account and have an excellent chance of getting it resolved in my favor.

Don,

So ... you tore up your cards just after I was born. I sure hope that was a coincidence!! :rofl:

If you're anything like me, you'll be pleased to know that your philosphy is carried through by at least two more people in this world. My wife and I don't do loans, credit, etc. If the word "Interest" is ever involved with our money, it's interest coming OUR way, not leaving.

I am all in favor of the "Can't pay for it now, can't have it" philosophy. It's the only one that absolutely guarantees I don't dig myself a hole with a teaspoon.

Here's to anti-frivolous behavior!! :thumb:

Here I was thinking I was only an old hermit. :rofl:

I don't do other kinds of credit either Jason. Up until 2004, I hadn't had a car payment for 28 years. I always bought a used car in good shape and put a new engine in it for around $1800. I had very good luck with them and had a very nice looking ride.
When my doctors decided I was going to retire 11 years early, I looked around and took stock. I found that I didn't owe anyone, anything. All of my retirement/disability belongs to me. I bought me a house and a new truck. That's it, I owe the truck, the house and the utilities each month. This stuborn idea about credit is what has allowed me to build my dream wood shop. Other than the building, there is no credit there either. :thumb:

Good luck to you and yours

DT