Using a .22 for Protection Against Bears

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Saw this on the Interwebs, and figured I'd share it. Never figured a .22 would be much good against a grizzly, but I can see that I was wrong...

I used a .22 short for bear protection. My friend and I were hiking in the woods and a grizzly momma came at us. So I pulled out my Beretta .22 short semi-automatic, shot my companion in the kneecap, then walked away at a brisk pace to safety!

:rofl: Oldy but a goodie. Its also why I only go hiking with people slower than me :D

A friend of my folks had a hunting camp up in the Yukon and had some good grizzly stories. The bears were really making a come back when they were doing this so were pretty thick in the area. The couple I sort of remember are:

Everyone (including their two pre-teen kids) carried a short barreled 12 gauge everywhere. This meant that if you wanted to go to the outhouse (indoor plumbing pfaaah) you picked up the gun and carried it with you when you went to poo.

They were making a round with some hunters once (the hunting line was basically a "circle" as I understand it) and when they got back the top of horse trailer had been pealed back like a tin can. Going back along the trail all of the cabins (made from not unsubstantial logs) had been ripped open from the corners and basically pealed back. Tracking it back they never did find the bear but it looked like he had been about 2 days behind them and was on a real tear about things.

Goes with -
Always SCUBA dive with a buddy, better odds if a shark problem occurs. Much better odds if he accidentally cuts himself with your knife.

During thunder storms always golf with someone taller than you who uses steel shafted clubs!

Bear joke

Okay, this is not intended as a political statement just a funny joke. Moderators do as you wish with it.

A college professor has spent his entire career railing against religion and is a profound atheist.

On vacations he likes to spend time in the woods communing with nature. On one particular trip he hears a noise behind him and finds an 800 pound grizzly bear running toward him. He takes off running and in a few short strides finds himself knocked to the ground on his back. The bear has one paw on his chest and the other paw is upraised ready to take off his head.

He screams out in desperation, "Oh God please help me!"

The wind stops blowing. The birds stop chirping. The streams stop gurgling. The clouds part and from a booming voice from the sky is heard, "All thy life you have denied me and taught people to hate me and now in the moment of thy death you call out for my help. Why should I help you?"

The professor answers, "Well, even at the moment of my death I am not going to say I believe in religion or in you but I was hoping you could do something to change the bear to become more Christian."

"It will be as you wish," the voice answers. And with a clap of thunder the wind starts blowing, the birds are chirping and the streams gurgle.

The bear gets a funny look on his face and put his paws together as if in prayer and utters, "Dear God. thank you for the meal I am about to receive." :rofl:

:rofl: Oldy but a goodie. Its also why I only go hiking with people slower than me :D

A friend of my folks had a hunting camp up in the Yukon and had some good grizzly stories. The bears were really making a come back when they were doing this so were pretty thick in the area. The couple I sort of remember are:

Everyone (including their two pre-teen kids) carried a short barreled 12 gauge everywhere. This meant that if you wanted to go to the outhouse (indoor plumbing pfaaah) you picked up the gun and carried it with you when you went to poo.

I don't know about you guys, but if I had to take a shotgun to the toilet, it's a good chance my sphincter muscles would be waaaaay too tight to ever be able to Poo....:eek::D:rofl:

True story: My nephew JJ works at the gun counter at a local sporting goods store. A year or so ago, a guy came in wanting to buy a .357 Magnum revolver. Turns out he was planning a fishing trip to Alaska and he wanted some protection against brown bears. JJ strongly suggested he buy a larger caliber, like a .44 Magnum or a .454 Casull. But the guy was insistent that he knew what he was doing, and a .357 was all the gun he needed. JJ obliged, and sold him a nice Smith & Wesson.

A couple of months later, the guy showed up at the store wanting to buy a .454 Casull. Naturally, JJ asked him what happened to the .375. The guy said he no longer had it. Apparently he threw the gun at the charging grizzly after he'd fired all six shots, and he never went back to pick it up. The guy then turned around and dropped his pants far enough to show JJ the bandage on his butt covering the claw marks he'd received in the exchange. :rofl: JJ sold him a nice S&W revolver...in .454 Casull. ;)