HDMI Connections Monitors Security Systems...... I've got some questions.

Stuart Ablett

Well what can I say, we got robbed again, or stated more correctly the mother in law got robbed again.
She is not very aware of any situation around her, she made a big mistake by laying out about 100 beer gift tickets, worth about $8 each, on the counter before the customer had paid for them, the guy snatched them off the counter, ran outside and got away on his bicycle before she she even realized what he had done, sigh.....

She does not turn all the lights on in the shop in the morning before we come, so the lighting was poor and the cameras we have are 20+ years old, and we only have four of them, yes, it's time for an upgrade.

This is what I've got on order

Lorex ECO4 Stratus 16-Ch 960H Network 2TB HDD DVR & 12 x Day/Night Cameras

1013356.jpg

That is 12 cameras and then I added two more cameras.....

Lorex LDC7082 960H Weatherproof Night-Vision Security Dome Camera (NTSC)

984978.jpg
For in front of the shop where the tobacco vending machines are.

That is a total of 14 cameras, we will have four outside, one on the back entrance so 9 cameras inside the shop, we hope this will cut down on theft, and if we do catch someone, the video might be of use, the cameras we have now would be of little use in charging someone, the video is that bad.

I now need to upgrade my monitor which is a smallish TV as it only had to handle 4 camera views, and then I came upon a deal via a buddy, his friend was moving and needed to sell some stuff fast, so this is what I picked up....

new_TV.JPG

The New To Us TV a 2007 Sharp LC-32GS20 LCD Television (32-inch, 1080p, digital TV compatible)
Huge upgrade from our 1980's era 27" Sony Trinitron

I also picked up two monitors

71Juc2jFOML._SL1500_.jpg
Dell 3007WFP-HC LCD Monitor (30-inch, 2560x1600)

d2391c293db31fbc4403e6ff88407b302eb10c83.jpg
Dell E248WFP LCD Monitor (24-inch, 1920x1200)

The TV is for the house, of course, but the monitors I'm hoping to be able to use with the new security system, as 14 cameras are a lot of views to keep track of.

BTW I got all three items for 30,000 yen, or about $300, good deal, but I had to get them that day, and pay cash, and it was a one hour drive each way, so yes a great deal, but not really open to just anyone.

The whole HDMI thing is new to me. Here is a picture of the cable ends for the monitors.....

monitor_cables.jpg

30" and 24" monitor HDMI cable ends

Kind of makes sense that the 30" monitor has more pins, I guess. The new DVR unit for the cameras says it has HDMI video output ports, so I'm guessing that they will just plug right in? Also to test these monitors I wanted to plug them into my laptop, but it has a different HDMI connection......

laptop_HDMI.JPG

The one on the left, NOT the LAN port. I guess I need some sort of an adapter to use this laptop with the monitors?
While I have some of you techie guys attention, the port next to the HDMI on the right, is marked as a USB port, but none of my USB cables fit in it, is this some new USB connection?

OK this is a really long way round, but my question is are these HDMI cables on the monitors standard? Will they most likely just plug into the DVR for the cameras?

I'm going to have to build a new mount for the monitors, I'd like to use both together at the L shop so I can see all 14 camera views at once, but I'm not sure if the DVR will allow me to do that.

One more thing, does anyone know the distance limits on the wireless cameras? We will have two channels to fill if we want on the DVR and I've been thinking it might be nice to put a camera up on the 6th floor of our building across the street looking towards the L shop, just as an overview sort of thing, it would be a straight line of sight thing, maybe 60 to 70 meters....?

Now I'll have to get these all mounted and all the wiring run.... the work never ends!

Hi Stu, the cable ends are DVI- Types DVI-.jpeg if these types are not supported on your DVD recorder, adapters for DVI- to HDMI should be easily found.

Not positive on your USB port as I've no hands or eyes on experience yet, but that may be the new USB-3 style.

Sorry not much more help than that. Also sorry to hear of the robbery, can't offer much there either....'can't teach M.I.L.s new tricks' ;)

HDMI to DVI cables are about $3 to $30 to 'whatever I can convince you to pay'. I have used the $6 versions from Best Buy without issue. For a security camera setup I doubt you need the "golden-ratio, hand-woven-by-monks, expensive version" of the cables. Distance to be traveled may move you from one end of the price spectrum towards the other. Don't get me wrong; high end cables and components do make a difference in audio and video systems. You just aren't doing anything that will show much benefit from the higher end wires.

Thanks guys!

The cables that came with the monitors are quite long, so just the adapter that attaches to the end of the cable should be enough.

Cheers!

I'll echo the "DVI, not HDMI" comments. Easy enough to adapt one to the other, though. Also, those USB ports look like pretty much all the standard Type A ports I've seen for years. I wonder if the "standard" in Japan is one of the other formats?

220px-Types-usb_new.svg.png