never saw one of these

allen levine

when I visited my wifes cousin in philly recently, she had this huge thing leaning against a wall.
she has this thing for unusual stuff, has some stuff laying around her house that shes picked up around the world.(she was a news reporter/ photographer and worked in many countries over the past 25 years)
she sublet an apartment in france a while ago, and when she went to get rent from the tenant when he was leaving, he didn't have enough money so he gave her some of the things he collected.
This was one of them.
At first, I thought it was some kind of torture device, as those little sharp rocks in there are really sharp.
maybe an older surfboard for someone who likes to inflict injury on themselves?

She told me it is from India, a rice thresher. OK, I learn something new every day.
She might have said wheat, but Im sure she told me a rice thresher.

just sharing.

Attachments

• southphilly 006.jpg
    southphilly 006.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Looks like it is 'wheat'......$$$wheat looking that is :thumb: see this

That fellows description seems a bit off "They formerly were drug behind an oxen in the fields. The weight and the stones would be used to lay down the crops so that they could be cut by field workers using a sickle" - so first up that ain't threshing and I can't imagine any reason you'd want the wheat knocked down to cut it with a sickle - makes sense as a drag to knock the grain loose on the threshing floor once its been cut though.

Managed to find a video of one in use, grain threshing starts around 10 minutes in:

Not convinced it couldn't be used for rice since its just a very small improvement over simply having horses/oxen walk the grains off of the stalks.

That fellows description seems a bit off "They formerly were drug behind an oxen in the fields. The weight and the stones would be used to lay down the crops so that they could be cut by field workers using a sickle" - so first up that ain't threshing and I can't imagine any reason you'd want the wheat knocked down to cut it with a sickle - makes sense as a drag to knock the grain loose on the threshing floor once its been cut though............

I agree Ryan, I believe it's like the 'Antiques Road Show', the better &/or stranger the story attached to the item, the more value it holds......................................:rofl:

That fellows description seems a bit off "They formerly were drug behind an oxen in the fields. The weight and the stones would be used to lay down the crops so that they could be cut by field workers using a sickle" - so first up that ain't threshing and I can't imagine any reason you'd want the wheat knocked down to cut it with a sickle - makes sense as a drag to knock the grain loose on the threshing floor once its been cut though.

Managed to find a video of one in use, grain threshing starts around 10 minutes in:

Not convinced it couldn't be used for rice since its just a very small improvement over simply having horses/oxen walk the grains off of the stalks.

Yeah I agree, the thresher is made from wood, to start with, isn't it?

I think his story is off, I do believe that they had a threshing sled, this was pulled by animals around a large circle where the wheat was laid out......
large.jpg

Like this, so if the threshing board has a turned up end, like a sled, it was most likely used that way.

Here is the kind I've seen in Japan, more of a large comb....

s-mugikogasi-05.jpg

As well as a threshing table of sorts, kind of slats that the rice is beaten against and the grain falls down to be collected.....

Rice+harvest-0013297.JPG

Whatever it is, just be glad you can buy flour in your local shop!

Coincidentally, today's job is dismantling a 900 mm (36") stone mill so's I can sharpen the stones. This mill is used for non-gluten products (rice, millet, sorghum, and chick peas).

BTW, them stones is heavy.

Ooh that sounds interesting!! Can we connive you into to sharing some pics and details on that one?

Coincidentally, today's job is dismantling a 900 mm (36") stone mill so's I can sharpen the stones. This mill is used for non-gluten products (rice, millet, sorghum, and chick peas).

BTW, them stones is heavy.

Remember, lift with your legs, not your back :D

BTW I'll thank you and the mill, my mother is celiac and this kind of business really helps her quality of life!

+1 on some pictures and an explanation of sharpening mill stone, maybe flattening is a better word?

pretty funny scott.

I got it now.

the object of interest was a thresher(I believe its really old)
the tenant might have gotten a thrashing if he lived the same time as that board was used and didn't have the rent money.