I need to apologize

^^^^^^
What they said!

For a long time, the only things I made were some utilitarian items and kiddie toys - all with pine because it didn't need to be anything better. After years of watching Norm and other offerings on TV, I kept telling myself I could do some of that stuff. So, one day LOML and I saw a quilt rack in Wood Magazine. The timing was perfect because she had been given an antique quilt made by her grandmother. The project called for cherry, which I had never worked with before. I found a local source where we lived, bought a few boards and dove into the project. It wasn't complicated; the big deal was using wood that cost way more than I had been accustomed to using. I scaled the design a bit to fit our needs and started milling the cherry. I was hooked!

Along the way, I have now built most of the furniture we use in our home. I've used cherry, black walnut, claro walnut, Honduran mahogany, red oak and miscellaneous exotic veneers. Obviously, there is no comparison to the same things had they been made with pine, but there's no reason all of the things I built couldn't have been made using pine. It all depends on the desire of the individual craftsperson.

Don't blame the wood for bad prep and sloppy finish work.:thumb: Almost all wood will come out blotchy when not sanded properly before finishing. And when the finish is applied wrong (which is the case most of the time) it will come out blotchy.:thumb::rofl::rofl:

Now to be fair, pine IS generally one of the more difficult woods to put a decent stain on. Some other woods are just plain easier in that regard. Not to say that pine is a lot harder to finish - it is harder to stain though and benefits from some extra prep work and materials selection/technique compared to what you can get away with with some other woods.

No need to apologize. I make stuff out of pine and you didn't insult me:)
I have antiques in my home made of pine that have lasted use and abuse by families for over 300 years.
I enjoy making early American and Shaker furniture. Some of the pieces are pine and some are cherry or maple. This style furniture is meant to be used not drooled over.:rofl: I do however, really enjoy working with hardwood over pine.

Well as you can see my shop is pine studded but my cabinets are not, I made these cabinets in 1996 an still as good as the day I made them but there is no screws or nails. only screws are the door hinges :thumb:

DSC02164.jpgDSC02163.jpgDSC02161.jpgDSC02159.jpg

University of Georgia, in Tifton campus. So far the dates are August 29-31. This is sponsored together with Whispering Woods International school of Fine Wood Working ( My School ), Lockheed an Gulfstream , main goal keeping our students sober an safe by providing an outlet that they can use

University of Georgia, in Tifton campus. So far the dates are August 29-31. This is sponsored together with Whispering Woods International school of Fine Wood Working ( My School ), Lockheed an Gulfstream , main goal keeping our students sober an safe by providing an outlet that they can use

went to the college site and couldnt find any place that said how much it was and the time frame? i have some friends in that area that might be interested

First day is basic shop safety on Table saw, band saw, jointer an Planer. We also be going over basic small box making.

Second Day Is turning safety an demoing Bowls an Hollow forums, also showing basic sharping

Third day will be showing Intarsia pieces on day 3 an going through the steps of making one, also be going over scrowsaw safety an scrowsaw patterns.

Theses classes are for the students, but I can have others come also but you can't work with the tools its for the students at the school, since Gulfstream an Lockheed are supplying the tools an wood for the students they will be there also they will be having some of there people doing demos also specially Gulfstream.

I could use some observation on the second day, for sure. I'm getting back to turning on a small basis but need to see first hand how some of the tools should be used. I'm also interested in Intarsia, so maybe some observation on the third day as well.

Does that sound like it will work? If so, which building will you be in?

Bill in the evenings its open for working class so the students that are interested can get some hands on with me an another demonstrator so you can get involved with it, they best have coffee this time :) last year I had only 6 students take up on turning so I'm thinking it be about the same this year, on the scrowsaw class an intarsia we have a lot also on the Marquetry class to but I'm letting one of my students that works for Gulfstream do that demo this year just to much in a short time. I will be at that college 6 times thro the year an during the breaks they can come here or to Gulfstream in Brunswick in which I'm there to. Gulfstream an Lockheed is looking for students to be interns for them during the year an get paid to. Lockheed is doing also the robotics this year to.
Idont have a building number but I can find out its in the hobby shop on campus

Roy, I'm trying to find information on the classes online. When Larry asked you about them, you told him you were teaching at UGA Tifton campus. Earlier in this thread, you said your would be teaching in Perry, GA. Can you clarify?

Roy, it looks like multiple members of this forum are so impressed with your work that they are looking for places that they can take classes from you. Your teaching at UGA Tifton sounds like a special program to which you might welcome visitors (thank you), but it isn't apparently a regular UGA class.

Treading carefully through the rules against using this forum to promote a business, are there places that you offer classes that are open to the public? I think I heard a hint that sometimes you teach through Skype - is that a publicly available class or are those only private tutorials? I suspect it would not be a violation of forum rules if your signature linked to a description of where you teach, and who you teach - perhaps as an expansion of the BgCouger Facebook page that described your teaching as well as your work.

Perhaps the moderators can suggest a way to answer the questions of how to learn how you can learn from Roy, without violating the rules that make this forum pleasant.

As anyone can see I do Build threads an I have one going on right now http://familywoodworking.org/forums...-Client-an-its-got-a-couple-Nice-twists-to-it they can ask questions there I also Skype but they must get in touch with me so I can add them I do one on ones with Skype doesn't cost that way. UGA class is a closed group which I didn't know until yesterday from Mr. Taylor from Gulfstream only for the students but I can do evening meet n greet afterwards, I try to find out who in in an area where I going to be at. Good way to meet with other wood workers. ,But when I teach some one here its at NO COST, unless they don't have material, then we get the material together. On the school page I do build threads an lot of overseas students an other professional, we get together an talk using Skype unless it the language then it typing an using bing to translate. As anyone can see I do not put pictures on my Facebook School Page of students its a legal Issue, only the students can put there pictures there or sign paper work releasing me of legal issue. I'm new to this site an was invited an I guest some don't like it. I don't run all college demos only some like at UNF Jacksonville or Camden Community College but I work with Gulfstream an Lockheed an we have a good working relationship I follow their rules but I didn't know they changed the format but that's Ok makes it easier for me, I don't have to look for some one. If anyone in the area would like to meet up an have coffee lets do it or even meeting at someones shop. But don't expect me to drive an hour to meet you its already a long day

Last edited:
We can always add you as a "Commercial" member Roy and you can post your schedules and classes in the commercial post zone.

No Need to, if some one is in the area they can call me, like I said many time I have several projects going at the same time, it keeps me challenged this way. I let people know when I'm going to woodcraft or Southern Florida Plywood so we can do meet an greets, an ask questions. I'm trying to start a carving club here in Camden but not that many people do anything carving wise. The woodwork guild I help start here was working out great but I think there all about done now, they didn't want new members so I walked away. I don't drink when in the shop an they did, an we have a Navy here so Now I have most of them meet me in the shop 4 times a month if there in an we do different projects, trying to keep the club community strong an doing festivals an it works out.