iPhone 6 or 6 Plus...?

Stuart Ablett

As I mentioned in the Friday post we are going to check out the new iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, don't know if I'll get one but our carrier here is offering it at a really sick low price, FREE if you sign the 2 year contract! My iPhone 5 has only 8 months left on the contract. Our monthly bill for would go from about $150 a month (unlimited data and we talk for free to six other phones, and for a reduced price to anyone with the same carrier) and that is for my iPhone 5 and the wife's iPhone 5s, if we both switched over our bill would be maybe $165 a month, so we are thinking about it.

Has anyone taken the plunge?

I would get a good case for the phone, I have the Element Sector 5 case on my iPhone 5 now and some of the extra strong glass screen protector, both were a great investment, the phone is still in great shape, the case and that glass have taken a beating, but the phone is mint.

They will have cases for the iPhone 6 out in October, hey that is now!

The cases for the iPhone 6+ are in the pipeline.

So if I get the a new iPhone my choice would be between the iPhone 6 or the 6+

I hope to go and fondle, err.... handle one tomorrow, and see if the much larger 6+ is too large.

To be honest the telephone function on my smart phone is just a part of the phone, I don't even use it much anymore, really, got to have it, but the functionality of the other parts of the device are really important to me, the Google Maps function has saved my bacon for getting somewhere MANY times, driving, walking or on the trains here, and the various apps make it really part of my daily life, I have a board foot calculator on the thing for crying out loud! :D

I use my wife's iPad mini in the house a LOT and I like it, for reading a book or listening to a podcast/music to surfing the web to find something, so I'm wondering if the larger 6+ is the way to go.

Any input would be great!

Cheers!

My neighbor/former boss Perry was showing me his new 6+ the other day. Perry is one of those guys who HAS to have the latest and greatest Apple product. (It absolutely killed him when I got the iPhone 5 when he was still carrying the 4s, lol.) Although it does seem large in comparison, he says he's found it easy to pocket because it's so thin. Of course the thinness is also a factor of the case it's in. His is in a slim leather case sold by apple. My 5 is nice and slim, but I've got it in an Otterbox case that add a lot to the bulk. (Worth it IMO.) I seldom pocket mine...it's usually on a belt clip.

The display on the 6+ was sweet, and Perry said the download speed for things like movies seems improved compared to his 5s. Like you, my "phone" is really a pocket computer that happens to make phone calls. If I was shopping for a new phone, I'd be looking hard at the 6+.

I have the same questions, and have not yet fondled the units. The 6+ looks a little large to "always" be in my pocket as is my current iPhone. But, as I understand it, the 6+ thrives in landscape mode, both for the system (screens full of icons) and for apps. Therefore reading can have longer lines, presumably more like a book. I have gotten so used to reading (even books) on the iPhone that I am not sure I need the longer line.

Thus I haven't provided experience, but perhaps a new twist on the questions to ask.

I fondled the 6+ at the local Verizon store last week and wanted to take a look at the 6, but there was a little kid playing a game on it and I didn't want to be a bully and kick him off. They only had one 6+ in stock and no 6's. The 6+ (sans case) fit in my shirt pocket and front pants pocket OK. I think the size will work for me. It is thin, very thin and it looked like the demo model actually had a slight bend in it....like someone was testing it. I'm not worried about it though. It felt plenty strong to me. Someone mentioned that the 6+ would cause a surge in cargo pants buying, and I'm thinking it might:) :)

I'm walking around 6 months out from upgrade point and Jonesing BIG time for the 6+. The only thing stopping me is how much will it cost to get a 64G model. Both my older boys have recently gone the Samsung Phablet route, so I've done the pocket test with their units (roughly the same size, if not a tad larger than the 6+). I'm looking at the 6+ as a portable web connection device that makes phone calls. And, now that you've nudged me, I think I'm going to swing by the phone store on the way in to work, and fondle a 6+ a bit.

I've got to ask what's the big deal about this phone? I have a 2 plus year old android that I'm just as happy with now as the day I got it.

I'm a bit on Alan's side. My S4 still does flips around the apple anything. Apps are a personal choice, could be a deciding factor

------------> Rationalization Alert!! <------------

Well for me personally I don't really need an iPhone 6+ the 5 I have now works really well, but the thing is, here in Japan, when the new ones come out the carriers really make it worth your while to upgrade, as they make money on keeping you in their system. To add to that incentive, for example, if I change from my iPhone 5 now to a 6+ 128gb phone, it is free, my monthly rate over all goes up about $5 ($2.50 for the phone and a rate increase of about $2.50), maybe less because they have introduced a new plan to make calling any other smart phone on their network free, all the time, and with unlimited data for the price, it is a good deal. Now to get the free new handset, I have to give up my old iPhone 5, or I can pay it off, I think I have 8 months left on my iPhone 5 so I might just pay it off, and keep it as a backup or to send to my kids in Canada, one of them is still using an iPhone 3GS, and we are getting into battery problems with it.

I know your systems in the US and Canada are not the same as here in Japan, but here if you wait and want to change your phone you pay more, for example anyone with a iPhone 4 or 3 they have to pay an additional $11 a month to upgrade, plus the $2.50 or so in rate increase, so$13.50 a month, for me upgrading to the 6+, from the 5 it is free for the 16gb and only $2.50 a month for the 128gb and about $2.50 for the rate increase, so lets say $5 a month, over the two years that is $120 compared to $324 for someone upgrading from an older phone. They really do try to get you go upgrade here. My iPhone 5 is working fine, but I know the battery will start to become an issue at some point, yes I can change it myself, and I've done so in the past on other iPhones, but that takes time and costs money too.

I'll see what it feels like in the hand and if there is any small print I've missed :D

I stopped in at my phone store... they're an indie store, so haven't even gotten a 6+ in for a demo unit yet. the 6 was quite 'tall' vs my puny little 4s. I can't wait to see what the 6+ is like. As for why this phone... for me, I'm already well ensconced with my apps, I use my 4s a LOT every day. I'm looking forward to a larger screen, faster processor and greatly increased battery life. Is it the bleeding edge of phone technology? No, truth be told there are 'droid phones which do more as my kids have pointed out. For, me, I'm comfortable with the Apple system, I have a Mac, and all of the current phones in the house are 4s's (excepting my middle son who has a Samsung). I'm the only one of the three of us who 'needs' the newer phone. My wife barely 'wanted' a smartphone, my youngest is too rough on phones to get the cutting edge. To sum up, getting a 6+ would allow me to have the 'all in one' device... phone, plus internet machine. With the upgrade to OS-X to Yosemite the apps will be able to hand off between the phone and the computer easily (in theory). If I don't get the 6+ I'm looking at a mac Mini gen II, for $200 less than the 6+ phone instead.

Well I had a look, the 6+ is not really HUGE like some have told me, yes it's bigger, but if I was to upgrade, the 6+ would be the one. No point IMHO to upgrade to the 6 from the 5, right now.
At the phone store it is a 30 day wait, at the large electronics store it is a 12 day wait.
Don't know what I'll do yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
whew!!!! i am glad your waiting stu:) that will allow someone else to get one just a bit sooner:) i am glad i havnt had the virus hit me yet for a smart phone.. the simple posket phones is enough.. but i can see where the smart phones of today are or can be very handy.. dave used his as a gps agent to tell hhim where to go while driving..and i have heard of a ap that will show satellite earth images of terrain that is more up to date with greater detail than google maps, even shows old service roads that are discontinued years ago.. good luck with your mini computer when you switch.

I don't know what to say.

NOT ME.

My home land line was $25/mo.

I switched to a cell phone when I had my business cause I NEEDED it. At that time I had 11 phone numbers.

Verizon made a bundle on me when I closed and came down to 2 numbers - me and Diane.

I now pay $70/mo and I ask them how can I cut it in half.

It is mind blowing to hear someone say $150/mo. To me, on my budget - that is NOT an option. Then to hear that they are going to go to $165/mo (?FOR A PHONE?) - just past my ability to comprehend.

I actually did go to the phone store to look at a smart phone. They told me I could not do it for $35/mo - and not even for my current $70/mo no matter what.

Soooo - I evaluated - my current needs - and it just don't add up - I don't need a computer in my pocket.

so - I will stay - flip phone - $70/mo - looking for a cheaper way - not yet ready for a track phone.

....for example, if I change from my iPhone 5 now to a 6+ 128gb phone, it is free, my monthly rate over all goes up about $5 ($2.50 for the phone and a rate increase of about $2.50)....
In contrast, to upgrade my old 4c to a new 6+ with 128gb would cost me $499.99:eek: with a two year contract. Apparently, Verizon doesn't want us to upgrade.

I got the 6 2 weeks ago, its great. If you have Verizon the 6 is 200.00 but they have a buy back program. I was given 200.00 for my 4s so the 6 didn't cost me anything. I also dropped from 4 gigs to under 1 gig. There promotion gives you one free gig for 2 years so I now have almost 2 gigs and don't even use 1 gig. It dropped my bill almost 40.00 per month. The buy back is a mail in, Verizon gives you a site to apply for the mailer to send the phone back. They were not sure if the gift card was only for Verizon products but if it is you can use it to pay your monthly bill. I'm not sure when the buy back promo ends but its worth asking for. They told me it would probably be extended.

I don't know what to say.

NOT ME.

My home land line was $25/mo.

I switched to a cell phone when I had my business cause I NEEDED it. At that time I had 11 phone numbers.

Verizon made a bundle on me when I closed and came down to 2 numbers - me and Diane.

I now pay $70/mo and I ask them how can I cut it in half.

It is mind blowing to hear someone say $150/mo. To me, on my budget - that is NOT an option. Then to hear that they are going to go to $165/mo (?FOR A PHONE?) - just past my ability to comprehend.

I actually did go to the phone store to look at a smart phone. They told me I could not do it for $35/mo - and not even for my current $70/mo no matter what.

Soooo - I evaluated - my current needs - and it just don't add up - I don't need a computer in my pocket.

so - I will stay - flip phone - $70/mo - looking for a cheaper way - not yet ready for a track phone.

leo,
Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I have to agree with you... I carry a 2 or 3 year old flip phone... it makes and receives calls (especially if I remember to put it in my pocket when I go out).. I still carry a land line because I can't drop it and keep my dsl for the computers... my phone and my wife's ride on my son's account... his contract allowed him to carry two extra lines - that he pays for - I've offered to pay our portion, but as all good sons, he has refused to let us.... I can't think of a reason to have a computer on me... I don't travel much, no need for a gps, don't spend as much time reading as I should, but have a kindle (courtesy of a gift from my other son), when in the shop, don't do much research - don't usually have a need - so the flip phone is fine with me and only reason I got it to begin with was, I had a permanent booth at a local public market where I was selling my wood turnings and was away from home... it was nice to be able to have phone access in the market and with my wife because she was home.
One argument in favor, I have a square credit card reader and no way to utilize when I do craft shows... haven't been able to justify the expense of the iphone over my knucklebuster .... if sales were a lot more intense, might have to consider... not time yet.

Leo Voisine said:

You have that slightly wrong Leo, that is $150 a month for my iPhone AND my wife's iPhone. I now pay between $65 and $70 a month, her phone is an iPhone 5s so it is just a bit more than mine.
I'll explain below that it certainly, to me, is NOT just a phone :D

I totally understand the guys that do NOT need or want a pocket computer that makes phone calls, but for me, living in Tokyo it has saved me a LOT of money over the years, for example.

I need to get from point A to point B in and around Tokyo, point A is home, so I know where that is, but point B is somewhere I've never been. Tokyo is a big place crammed full of people, roads, and such. If I use an app, I can find that I can drive there without using any tolls in say two hours, if I use tolls, ($20 there and back) the drive is only 45 min, or if I take the train, one route has four changes, and cost me $5, another route had two changes and cost $7 and the train ride and walking between stations etc will take me one hour. Then there is a third choice, it too has two changes, but one is on an express train, it costs me $10 but I can be there in 25 min. Those train rides are there and back.

Talking about driving, if I decide to take the toll road, I can first check my free app that shows if there is a traffic jam on the toll road, I do not enjoy paying to sit in a freaking traffic jam!

Another example, my wife, just today, at Costco wanted to buy a certain appliance, the price looked good at $70, I grabbed my iPhone and checked the exact model number on a site that compares all the various places online to shop and found the cheapest price we could find online was about $85, so she bought the appliance.

Another example, we needed to buy a wine storage unit for the L shop, one of these....

Haier 120.jpg
It was on sale as Costco for about $780, the cheapest price we could find anywhere online was about $1100.

Or I've been in a situation where I was lacking in the Japanese language department, and I just needed a word, well I've got a VERY good Japanese English dictionary app, two seconds later every thing was cleared up and things went smoothly.

I could go on and on, but I think you get the idea.

Add to that, we can iMessage our girls back in Canada, as they have our old iPhone 4's for free, if we are on Wifi and they are too, we can FaceTime which is like Skype but it does not suck so bad. :D

Just the other day I had a Skype conference all with a client, myself and two of them, one was in Canada, the other was in Germany, I can do that on my iPhone from just about anywhere if I have Wifi which is just about anywhere in Tokyo.

OK back to the iPhone 6+

I'll be waiting, after talking to another guy at a different store he confirmed my suspicions, that this is a bait and switch kind of thing, I have 10 months left on my iPhone 5, so I'd have to pay that off, which would be about $220. If I just wait, the guy said, the deal will get better. Makes sense, my contract will be up next August, then if I upgrade I will most likely have to pay zero for the upgrade and maybe just slightly more a month, he said that right now there is a two week or more waiting list, because lots of people want the phone, but by next August, the new phone will most likely NOT be out yet, and their sales will be slumping, so I should be able to get a good deal.

Thus, I'll wait :thumb:

Last edited:
I switched to a smart phone from a flip phone over 2 years ago because it was cheaper. The flip phone was costing me $75 a month and when I switched to the android smart phone it started at $55 a month and now is at $40 a month. I killed two birds with one stone in that I basically cut my phone bill in half and got my gps I've been thinking about getting.

The phone paid for itself the first year plus I don't have to worry about no stinking contract!