A curious sense of acquisitiveness

Ryan Mooney

Staff member
I occasionally a handful of various woodworkers blogs and one of those is John Economaki's from bridge city tools.

They recently announced another one-off hand plane (essentially a collectors item at a guess around $2500+):
http://www.bridgecitytools.com/blog/2016/03/23/bridge-city-2016-fab-50-tool-announced/
Check out the pictures, I promise they're really cool (I'll wait).

Now here's the weird thing. I don't really want one, if someone gifted me one then sure it would have a nice place on the mantle, but no real interest in ever buying one.

But (and here's where the acquisitiveness kicks in) - how amazingly fun would it be to make something like that? Not to acquire the thing itself but to acquire the ability to create the thing.

Generally I find that when I see something interesting my first thought is very rarely "I want that" but more often "how is that made" and "how could I make something like that, or possible better".

Talking to my peers locally, this doesn't seem to be a common track for your mind to take, but I suspect that more people on here are on the same page? maybe?

That is a unique piece, Ryan. I have the same problem on occasion. I end up 98% of the time realizing that engineering and such were never my forte. I have always liked doing things with wood since I was kid and made my first mallet out of bodark around 1958. And I find I can do a lot of things with it as long as I have the tools. Or at least am able to figger out a alternate method. But stuff like that plane I simply have to leave to others to play with building one. I just don't have the wherewithalls to accomplish that.

It's a stunning piece, but I'm with you. It's almost too pretty to use and even if I had the coins wouldn't spring for one. Am I correct in assuming it is the result of 3D design, mad CAD/CAM skills and modern machinery, rather than a few highly skilled craftsmen turning them out "by hand"? Actually, I'd love to have the skills to do all of the above.

Am I correct in assuming it is the result of 3D design, mad CAD/CAM skills and modern machinery, rather than a few highly skilled craftsmen turning them out "by hand"?

I'm guessing that it must be largely CNC in order to meet the precision requirements that they impose on themselves and get done in something vaguely resembling a reasonable time. "Like a swiss watch" is, I believe the phrase, but then those were historically made by hand as well so there is likely some of that as well. The fit and finish is generally reported to be several steps above anything you'd normally see so I would have to guess there is a bit of final tune and polish as well (disclaimer: I've never held one in my hand so this is all third party).

Actually, I'd love to have the skills to do all of the above.

And there we are :D :thumb:

Well I am in your camp Ryan. And maybe even in a camp of my own.
When it comes to planes, I just don't get the "collector part" regardless of the type. Even if I had billions I would not be a buyer.
I mean these are tools in my view meant to be used, that's why they were made. Let's imagine having three joiners, for what purpose?
I get two bandsaws one setup with a narrow blade the other for resale. I get a #4 a #5 and #7 but why a dozen of one size???

What appeals to my sense of mischief is to buy a plane like this and make a video using it to shock the life out of those that would be horrified to get a mark on it yet would have it stored in a cupboard in a box like happens to most of the best diamonds. What's the point.??

What I do admire very much is the engineering behind the tool. And even more so if it does involve cad cam etc. It's all engineering excellence, but....for it to be that in my books I need to see it perform not just look good because it's fancy machine metal material.

Does it perform better than it LN or LV counterparts ? If not , then it's nothing more than a pretty paper weight. :)

Does it perform better than it LN or LV counterparts ? If not , then it's nothing more than a pretty paper weight. :)

Arguably yes (at least according to people who've spent the coin on some of thier other products), but that's somewhat tangential to my point. Even if it didn't it's still an artistic tour-de-force, and would be a ton of fun to design and create :).

I confess my mind goes to making it myself and maybe improving on it for my purposes. I am also with Rob. No need for a dozen of thr same thing. Use what you have and if you have more than you can use, well, find someone who needs your surplus and thin your herd.

My mind doesn't go to how it is made, because I can see no reason to make such a thing. It is unlikely that it will ever see a wooden project to smooth, but will rather sit on a desk or a shelf so the owner can show his acquaintances how beautiful it is, and tell them how much he paid for it. I doubt it could do a better job than a Veritas or any other quality plane, so why bother with it?

I guess it's sort of the same reason you do a lot of things, because you can and it's fun. Roger, I believe you're closer to the majority there.

I've had similar points of confusion about some classes of furniture. What is fun to make often has not a whole lot in common with what I'd enjoy using or owning. There's also just the challenge of doing it.

When Glenn Bradley sees this I bet he gets his credit card out pretty quick :rofl:

Yeah, that ought to "get his credit card out pretty quick" ... as in, "out of $$$." Only a proud pa pa could say something dumb like that about his son...Otherwise I would be bragging about him.

Gads, the stuff is running over my shoe tops so I shall say adieu.

Enjoy,
JimB

Last edited: